WTF is going on? HELP

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by I WANT MORE, Dec 22, 2018.

1. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    For the past 4 or 5 days I have been having issues with my system.
    On the first morning that it happened I was watching programming on my HR54-500 and I got a "775 - No Dish Communication" screen. I unplugged the power inserter for a minute and plugged it back in, and then did an RBR. The programming came back on but later in the day I got a message that my receiver had not received any guide data in (X) hours. Later the guide listed all as Regular Programming.
    The next morning, same thing. I'm watching and sure enough the 775 page popped up again. I happened to notice that it happened precisely at the time when my wife got up and turned the light on in the bathroom and started her bath. WTF, no way would that affect anything. Did the RBR and eventually the screen went away and I had programming.
    Later that afternoon my son, who works nights, got up and went in to the bathroom to take a shower and guess what? Boom 775 screen.
    This has happened every morning for the past 4 days. When anyone turns the light on and runs the water in the bathroom my system goes berserk.
    I moved the power inserter plug to a different outlet on a different breaker and it made no difference.
    What in the Hell could be causing this?
    This all started 4 days ago.
    I have a tech visit scheduled for Monday. The tech will probably call the authorities and have me committed when I describe to him what has been happening.

I have an HR54-500, 3 C61ks, and 2 HR24s.
    SWiM with Reverse Band LNBF.

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Sounds like your LNB is going. That or check your connections at the dish

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  3. MrWindows

MrWindows New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Phoenix,...
    Is the light a fluorescent? Does the coax run (too) near that light perhaps, or have you had critters in the attic/crawl space that may have chewed through the cable jacket?

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    This could be a drop of power to the Power Inserter. Is it on a UPS ? Can it be plugged in somewhere that might be off that leg of power in your house ? If you have a digital clock, remove the battery backup and plug it into the same place the Power Inserter is plugged into. Next time it does it if the power is dropping the numbers on the clock will be flashing .
    This could be caused by the light switch in the bathroom failing and causing a spike / dip in power.

5. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Obviously there is a connection between the bath and your power inserter. They are likely on the same circuit. Try connecting it to an outlet that you know isn't on the same circuit as the bathroom.

6. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    The problem with these suggestions is that the HR-54 does not need the PI to power the LNB but powers it directly so you have in effect a backup for the power. How about disconnecting the PI one day and seeing if that eliminates the problem. Just make sure the HR-54 is connected to the splitter at the red power passing connector not just any connector.

compnurd likes this.
  7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Based on several posts that I have read, I disagree. The fact that he also has other DVRs is the reason several posters have stated that they have the Power Inserter inline and if the HR54 goes down, they still have power to the LNB to operate the other DVRs in the system.

8. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    I am not sure if this may be the problem, but do you have the older PI 21, or the newer PI 29? It is to my understanding that the newer PI 29 is preferred, especially when powering multiple DVR's.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    'tis the season for.... [Christmas lights] and some of the weirdest things.

10. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    You are not alone. I had a technician come to my house early this morning. He changed the two round knobs on the front of the dish. He also checked the SWiM and the DeCA connections and did a hard reset. The picture came back without the error code 775 after the technician performed these checks. The installer left. I think I watched two full movies then that error code reappeared. I ask the same. What is going on? Is this a satellite in the sky problem? It doesn't seem to be a dish problem. Any thoughts from anyone?

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

11. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Brand new dish, lnbf, SWiM, splitters, and all exterior wiring.

12. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    The bathroom lights are incandescent. Three small lights in a bank above the medicine cabinet.
    The bathroom is upstairs and the power inserter is located in the basement below the bathroom.

13. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Power inserter is not on a ups. I have plugged the power inserter in to three different outlets to no avail.

14. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    I will have the tech replace the power inserter with a PI 29.

15. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Christmas lights have been up for a month. Issue began about 5 days ago.

16. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Thanks for the suggestions folks.
    Much appreciated.
    Since no one has turned on the bath water since yesterday AM everything is working fine.
    Not sure how long I can ask the wife to shower in the basement.

17. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Does this seem to be water-use-related rather than light-use-related? If so, some sort of interference from water heater controls?

18. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If his wife showering in the basement avoids the problem, it must not be related to the hot water heater. Even if you skipped all showers it would eventually kick on from other water use or because the tank cooled.

If the bathroom lights are incandescent I wouldn't think they'd be likely to be an issue, but I'm assuming there's also an exhaust fan that your wife turns on when she's showering? Maybe that's it? I'd just try turning on just the fan and see if that has any effect, if not try turning on just the lights. If not try turning both on. If that still doesn't cause any problems, try running just the shower by itself.

At least you'd narrow down the problem, though it won't necessarily put you any closer to an actual solution. Definitely one of the weirder Directv problems I remember seeing here :D

19. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    That is not the problem for the 775 error code. I have the exact same problem. When the tech reinstalled my service two years ago - all connections are exactly the way he installed them. I haven't touched or moved any receivers or wiring. This a DIRECTV satellite or receiver issue. The hot water tank may have effected your connection but I don't think it's the underlying problem. I am sure other customers have gotten this code and interruption of service. They just haven't reported it on this post. DIRECTV didn't offer me one cent of a credit for their problem!

20. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    No way! Maybe water got into the dish. But not the latter. The only person that has the answer is DIRECTV. They have the satellites in the sky. They should know if something is crossing the path of their satellites and causing the 775 error code. They monitor those satellites and should know even though their customers do not.