WVBR0-01 vs WVBR0-25

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by badmoth, May 28, 2020.

1. badmoth

badmoth New Member

May 28, 2020
    Is there any difference between the two WVB's?

I have a WVBR0-25 installed next to my main (wired) DVR. I have two C41 Genies in other parts of the house but the performance is awful on one of them. It's too far away. I'd like to connect another WVB and see if I can get it closer to that Genie. I see both the WVBR0-01 & 25 for sale cheap. Does it matter which one I get? Thanks for your help.

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No, there shouldn't be ...

As the last two digits after the dash is just the manufacturer code. ....

But they're both designed to the same standard ....

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

3. badmoth

badmoth New Member

May 28, 2020
    Thank you. I appreciate that. Since I posted this question last night, I realized that my wired DVR is already plugged into my WVB output. I was planning on plugging in my second WVB there (dasiy chain right off the original). Since that's not an option, is it okay to use a splitter there? Maybe that's a stupid question I've never attempted to split a satellite signal. It's still coax so I'm assuming it's the same as a cable splitter? Thanks again.

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Hmmm never seen a "-25" before, I wonder what manufacturer that is?

5. badmoth

badmoth New Member

May 28, 2020
    Yeah, I don't know. It looks exactly the same. You have to look at the green sticker under the base to know which is which.

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes you can use a SWiM splitter. Or simply daisy chain the second WVB off the first by using coax loop-through the first WVB to the input of the second. And attach the terminating cap on the chain to the coax output of the second WVB.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I've got an unused WVBR0-25 sitting here collecting dust myself after I replaced it with a 2nd generation one, the "WVB2R0-34" which is made by Arris. Thus the meaning of the "34."

What the OP can do for us as a favor when he gets the two WVBs setup and activated. Is to install a WiFi analyzer app on a Smartphone or tablet and look at the info. of their SSID beacon signals.

The mfr. should be listed in the info., which is how I found out the mfr. of the WVB2.

8. badmoth

badmoth New Member

May 28, 2020
    Okay, I can do that. I have a bunch of new information about this though.

First, I now realize a small error in my initial post. My existing WVB is a WVBR0-25. That's the WVB that was installed when I moved to this home in 2017. So I want to make that clear.

Second, yesterday I found a guy locally selling a WVBR0-01. I bought it from him ($12). I didn't have the lengths of coax that I need to do my install but I'm impatient. I decided to test it out right away with some three footers I had laying around. I unscrewed the coax going to the input of my existing WVB (again, that's a WVBR0-25). I installed a splitter to that coax. Then I plugged in my original WVB and the "new" WVBR0-01 to the outputs on the splitter. I powered up my television and right away I received the DirecTV message that a new WVB had been recognized. Good result, right? That means everything I've read here is correct. Once I get some length of coax, I can run this new WVB to the location I want.

Here's the problem. You know that little chrome cap on a chain? Well, that was screwed onto the output of the WVBR0-01 that I just bought. When I went to unhook everything, that cap was so hot that it burned my thumb. I mean HOT! I had to wait a minute for it to cool down before I could unscrew it. The white plastic inside that coax nipple is visibly melted.

Now I'm really confused. How could that be? Obviously, that WVB was operating correctly because the DirecTV system recognized it. Did I do something wrong? I see above that Ho Tat2 mentioned a "SWM splitter". I just grabbed a splitter I had laying around for years. I presume it's not a SWM splitter. Does that matter? I took a couple pictures. I'll post in a minute.

9. badmoth

badmoth New Member

May 28, 2020
    Here is the splitter I used IMG_7376.JPG
    And below is a picture of the melted coax output on the WVBR0-01
    IMG_7374.JPG

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I think I know what happened, but briefly describe how your satellite system is installed and is the Genie an HR54?

11. badmoth

badmoth New Member

May 28, 2020
    Yes, my main DVR is a HR54. Here's the way everything is installed:

A single coax cable comes from the satellite dish, through the attic, down to the TV room where it connects first to the WVBR0-25, then a coax goes from the WVBR0-25 output to the HR54. That's the way it has been for three years. There are two remote C41's.

I unscrewed that satellite coax from the back of the WVBR0-25, screwed it onto the splitter input, then connected the WVBR0-25 to one of the splitter outputs. The other splitter output went to the new WVBR0-01. The cap was screwed onto the WVBR0-01 "Sat Rcvr" output that got hot in the process (pictured).

12. badmoth

badmoth New Member

May 28, 2020
    And like I said, I thought that was a good test. The system recognized the new WVBR0-01. I thought I was in business. It was only when I went to take everything apart that YOW! I burned myself on the cap of that WVBR0-01.

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Ok, what appears to have happened is that splitter, which is for CATV and not DIRECTV satellite, is an "all ports power passing" type.

So the 21vdc supply voltage coming from the HR54's internal power inserter (or "PI") to normally power the LNB and simply passes through the WVBR0-25. Was also being wrongly fed to the WVBR0-01 where the voltage looped through to the termination cap and roasted it along with the dielectric of the output connector.

I realize you were perhaps sort of eager to try out the new WVB, but should have waited and asked to make sure you were using the correct splitter such as the following ....

DIRECTV 2-Way Wide Band Satellite Splitter for SWM Systems (SPLIT2MRV) from Solid Signal

Where the connection to the WVBR0-01 is by a coax to the *non-power passing* output port of that splitter.

Perhaps the WVBR0-01 is not seriously damaged, but you may need to get a new termination cap for it. ...

14. badmoth

badmoth New Member

May 28, 2020
    Haste makes waste! Oh well. I learned something. When I get the correct stuff, I'll see if it's fried or not. If so, it was a $12 mistake. I will order the correct SWM splitter. I appreciate your help.

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No problem ...

Get the splitter from eBay (cheaper) as the Solid Signal link was just for illustration.

Or if you catch an AT&T/DIRECTV tech. out in the field, he may even give you one for free. ...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

badmoth likes this.
  16. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    WVB are inventoried I doubt you will find a tech to just give you one. A remote sure but nothing with a serial number on it.

17. badmoth

badmoth New Member

May 28, 2020
    west99999, he was talking about a SWM not a WVB.

18. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Agreed. Have one that I got from early testing that was sent off the books. Tried to get to get it replaced and tech said no since it didn't show on the account.

19. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Correct....

I was referring to a 2x1 SWiM splitter. Not a WVB.

west99999 and badmoth like this.