XFINITY (aka Comcast) Personal Web Pages to be discontinued

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by phrelin, Jul 16, 2015.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Got this friendly email today from the nice folks at xfinity/Comcast:

You have to admire the audacity (or is it idiocy?) of someone who in the first sentence tells you "we're going to make some changes to this service" and in the second sentence tells you the "service will be discontinued."

But they do value my business and hope I enjoy all their other benefits, even though I'll be getting one less.

I used to back up some of my website there, but I quit that ages ago. Nonetheless, I did check to make sure I didn't leave something there that I might have lost.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I would not use my connectivity ISP's "personal" web space for anything permanent unless they allowed me to bring my own domain.

I have had one domain since 1994 ... others are much newer than that. They are hosted at web hosting companies. The original domain started out at my connectivity ISP (a dial up company) but it was my domain. I do not need to be loyal to my connectivity ISP in order to keep my websites active.

I have seen some decent websites suffer from being hosted on "personal" webspace where the site location kept changing as the user changed ISPs or the ISP changed name or ownership (or, as Comcast is doing, service ended). Getting a forwarding URL (ie: "phrelinstuff.com" pointing at comcast.net/~phrelin or whatever the personal URL is) helps ... but search engines index the /~ site and people bookmark the real pages .. which are gone with any move or discontinuance.

Hosting is cheap from a hosting ISP ... it is the best way to go for anything permanent.

3. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    And hosting companies are a dime a dozen. One can Google for the best host.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I thought ISP provided web space went out with Geocities.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    All three of my current ISPs support personal web pages. Comcast will be the first to bow out.

I guess they expect that everyone has already got (or can damn well get) a Facebook page or similar.

It isn't like it is costing them an arm and a leg to support.

Since the cost of a hosted site is more (monthly fees plus domain registration), I'm not sure that's a straight-across trade.

Comcast is calling it a change so they don't have to call it what it is: removing a feature without decreasing the price.

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    One can also get taken to the cleaners over promotional domain registrations and sign-up deals.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Choose a good one, harsh. I did. :)

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not all hosting companies and registrars are GoDaddy :)

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I have no complaints about Yahoo Website Hosting which I've used for years. It's part of Yahoo! Small Business which must be technologically kept up to date but is surprisingly cheap. If I could, I'd move the website I manage for our local government there, but they use a "local-ish" hosting service.

10. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Oh my, I remember Geocities. And the controversy when they had the bloody watermark on their member's pages.

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I do my own hosting outside of my PWPs.

How does one safely avoid getting taken for a ride?

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Research ... not gloom and doom statements spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt without offering any solution.

Self hosing has its own problems with changing IPs (unless one pays for a fixed IP or has a good dynamic update to DNS) connectivity issues and an improved firewall since you are running services. I prefer hosting at an ISP where there is far less connectivity downtime and fixed IPs (even if they are shared IPs, they don't change without coordination with the DNS). I do not have to give up any of my home connectivity speed to hosting (send the file once per update to the server and let the world read it as many times as they want from the site). Some ISPs prohibit hosting unless one pays extra.