Xfinity Data Caps Return with a wrinkle

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by grover517, Jul 1, 2020.

1. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    I took a look this morning and sure enough, the data usage meter is again active on my Xfinity Blast internet account with one minor change.

Appears they upped my cap to 1.2TB (1229GB). Not a huge amount but may be enough to allow us a bit more breathing room each month. Surprised there was no announcement.

I am in Michigan so YMMV.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    xfinity12gb.png
    Announcement:
    Xfinity Data Usage Center

It looks like I lost a courtesy month on the usage page ... this said two previously.
    "You have 1 courtesy month to exceed a 1229GB of usage without charge."

Also on that page:
    "We’re currently updating the usage meter to include data usage over the past few months. Don’t worry, you won’t be charged for any overages that occurred from March 13 through June 30. Effective July 1, we made a few changes to our data plans, including a new data threshold of 1.2TB."
    I hope they do report the past few months ... it will give me an idea of how much I used. I continue to be a "work at home" person due to COVID restrictions where I work and probably will for the foreseeable future.

3. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Yeah, they reset the 2 months to 1 every 12 months from now on as well as raised the cap to 1.2TB. Everyone got their free overage months reset regardless of when or whether you had used your 2 overage months before.

They also made changes to the unlimited where those renting a gateway will now pay 25.00 a month, now called Xfi Complete, up from 20.00 and those using their own modems will pay 30.00 a month, down from 50.00. These changes are now available on ALL tiers as well, not just Extreme and above like it was before. I have to admit, 50 a month for unlimited wasn't going to happen but 30.00 a month may just get me to bite, at least for a few months out of the year when we have been binge watching more than normal.

As for the data usage stats, I have heard they are going to post those missing stats at some point. I am also interested in just how much I used when I wasn't thinking about the caps.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    With everyone @ Home --we ran out of TP --But some how we never ran out of internet --Perhaps Proving DATA CAPS are just what they always were --REVENUE gouging

krel and grover517 like this.
  5. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't feel like this rate structure is terrible; maybe it's because I see our billing for enterprise bandwidth for a few thousand locations and home broadband seems insanely cheap by comparison. This seems like a pretty straight-forward proposal though: want to use more bandwidth than the average subscriber? Pay more than the average subscriber. Not an egregious amount, we're talking $25-30/mo.

Look at pricing structures like AWS egress bandwidth pricing - current rates in most regions are $0.09/GB for consumption under 10TB/mo.

So the base Comcast 1229GB "data plan" usage allotment would cost $110.52/mo at AWS. That's for bandwidth delivered using cheap commodity Ethernet transport hardware in a handful of data centers with massive pipes, in a marketplace where AWS has to compete with other massive cloud providers like Google and Microsoft.

For an additional $25-$30/mo (xFi advantage vs normal unlimited add-on) you get an unmetered amount of bandwidth consumable at your house. That doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me.

grover517 likes this.
  6. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    I agree with the premise that for heavy users, they are fair game for a surcharge.

With that said, the way they were marketing it previously made it clearly an intentionally designed surcharge to not only upsell speed tiers (it was only available on Extreme and higher) but a way to try and entice many to ditch their owned modems/gateways and rent theirs where one is always prone to rental rate increases. So in that sense, it was seen as more of a money grab than a true data usage surcharge.

The new policy where they raised their caps a bit (should have been a bit more in my opinion), making the price for Xfinity Complete/Unlimited Data nearly the same cost for everyone regardless of whether they used their own modems or not and making it available on all tiers instead of just Extreme and above, now makes it more what it should of been in the beginning, which was an unlimited data surcharge fee and not a way to upsell speed tiers when it's not needed just to get unlimited data or discourage private modem use.

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    AWS is a completely different business model. They don't have a customer service call center like Xfinity, stores like Xfinity, and if your service is out completely, will send a truck to your house. Most times for no charge.

Not a fan of Xfinity but I agree some announcements could have been made. And a positive twist, is that everyone got a 20% bump for no-charge. They missed a chance to control the message so its coming off as a negative by some.

8. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    data caps are nothing more than greed. and now they might want you to rent there modem for unlimited talk about gouging..

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Xfinity updated my data usage for the past three months ...

January
    01/01/2020 - 01/31/2020 258 GB
    February
    02/01/2020 - 02/29/2020 268 GB
    March
    03/01/2020 - 03/31/2020 116 GB <<< This only refects half of the month
    April
    04/01/2020 - 04/30/2020 337 GB
    May
    05/01/2020 - 05/31/2020 459 GB
    June
    06/01/2020 - 06/30/2020 599 GB

June was the heaviest month and the time my wife spent the most time at home. My usage since March has been about the same each week.