Xfinity internet upped my bill, but gave me more speed

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dmspen, Jan 11, 2018.

1. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    My Xfinity account just increased a few bucks. Then I received an email stating they had increased my internet speed 50mbps!

I ran a few speed tests and sure enough, another (up to) 50 mbps.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The press releases all said the increase would come at NO additional cost to your plan. I would definitely call them about that.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
  4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
  5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    If ATT did this I would get a faster service package but it wouldn't actually deliver any faster sppeds

6. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Comcast just had the same speed increase here in the Houston area, too. I'm just beside myself with excitement over the fact that I can now reach my 1-TB data cap 50% faster than before!

Nick likes this.
  7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    My comcast bill went as well only no email or no speed upgrade either I only have interent through them

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  8. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    My Xfinity internet speed recently bumped to 100mbps from 75, giving Comcast the ability to suck money out of my bank account even faster. To wit, my bill just bumped up about $15.

Update:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, here's the speed I typically get from Comcast/Xfinity without any of their equipment for $74.45 a month:

[​IMG]

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Why is the upload speed so slow? I get over 200 down, but only ~ 35 up. Optimum has told me several times they have to give at least 35 up. But yours is DSL? I surprised by your down speed.

Rich

11. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My service is Comcast/Xfinity cable.

We're lucky to have anything. And indeed much of our area depends upon on a local DSL provider or satellite.

The Comcast system here is a legacy Adelphia system they got stuck with when as a result of the Adelphia bankruptcy they got Northern California and Time Warner got Southern California as part of the overall deal with the bankruptcy court.

When Adelphia put in their cross-county system over to the coast, their main cable ran not far from our house. I knew the local Adelphia guy who had a connection installed to his house, so I talked him into running a line down our street. Today if you're house is relatively close to the main line you can get service. But otherwise, you have to shell out a lot of money.

Honestly, Comcast has done a good job of keeping our system maintained, and they have upgraded over the years. But there are limitations on what they can offer. I know they'd like to get more money out of me, but they cannot offer any higher speeds.

On the other hand, AT&T abandoned us. One guy had to wait two months when his old copper land line went dead. I abandoned them for a cell phone.

Rich likes this.
  12. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I am also legacy Adelphia. Back when we finally got broadband (had 1-way sat and then 2-way sat for years) in 2003 Adelphia had rebuilt the entire system with fiber to node. Speeds for back then were blazing. Then the bankruptcy came and the Adelphia system that had been designed as a unit got broken up. The headend went to TW, but we went to Comcast. Service was horrible, so horrible in fact I switched back to DSL for a couple of years until streaming became so popular. Now my Comcast service is rock solid and I regularly get 120-130+ from my 100 service.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can you explain that in more detail? We had pretty crappy service from Cablevision, then Altice bought them out and it has improved. Just curious.

Rich

14. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    It seems my bill increase was not related to the speed increase. There were some adjustments made after I renegotiated my contract with Xfinity.
    It's really stupid that Internet + Cable is cheaper than Internet alone. They sent me a cable box which promptly made it to a location in the garage. They tried charging me a $14.99 'installation' fee. I called and they agreed to remove it...except they only credited me $9.99. And on it goes...

15. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I got the speed increase also but by bill did not go up. Probably because I signed a new agreement in November.
    I have to say that so far I am very happy with Comcast/Xfinity and Tivo since dropping DirecTV in November.

16. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Sure.

The headend routers with the connection to L3 were located in Portsmouth OH. They served the OH, KY and WV customers. Then TW took over the KY and OH customers, but Comcast took over the WV ones. Why TW or Comcast didn't get them all is a mystery. So after the takeover, Comcast had to get their customers out of the headend, so they somehow rigged up a connection to a headend in VA. Overnight the service went to crap.

The kept saying they were putting in a connection to L3 to serve us, but it takes time. I was resetting my modem almost daily to keep connected so I added DSL. Never actually dropped Comcast, but quit using them. Took them about a year to get everything fixed and working well.

So in your case, Altice may have put in new routers and connection to L3 or similar and that is why it has improved.

Rich likes this.