Xfinity

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Davenlr, Jan 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I hate how Xfinity dropped all their channels to 720p just as I bought a 4K monitor.
    It appears their streaming app on Roku is the same resolution.

I really cannot afford DirecTv since I retired, since they add so many nickel and dime charges, and Dish cuts resolution as well, although not as much as Xfinity.

Are the streaming services which have cloud DVR services also bit-starved or do they provide full 1081i/p ?

2. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    HD channels on Xfinity are still 1080p here.

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Yeah Comcast -Doesn't nickel and dime ya one bit :rolleyes:

4. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I occasionally see artifacts or blurring on Xfinity/Comcast but not often. After 20 years with satellite, both Dish and DirecTV, the picture quality of Xfinity is fine for me.
    So glad not having to brush snow off a dish anymore. We get a lot of that here. Savings with a DoublePlay package and TiVO's keeps me happy.

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I live in the northeast and have been a DIRECTV customer for twenty five years and can count the number of times I had to brush snow off my dish on my hands and have fingers left over.

compnurd likes this.
  6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    No provider expect some streaming ones use 1080P Channels are either 1080i or 720P Comcast went further and bit starved there channels

7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    He
    is up there that dish probably is angled like a soup bowl

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Wet, heavy snow regardless of the amount will block the signal. I've had inches of powdery snow accumulate on my dish and not block the signal.

9. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    nope not at all. i talked to a friend of mine that's paying comcrap 100.00 a month for a crappy 30 meg connection:eek:!!! nope they don't nickel and dime you to death.. i hear cox is just as bad as well with the charges:confused:o_O. and these morons wonder why people are cutting the cord:eek:

10. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    i lived in boston many moons ago i never had a problem with snow ice or rain fade... though move out to taxiforina and it rained so hard not even i could see where i was going and whata you know i lost signal.

11. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I had DirecTV in Southern California for about seven years and never got rained out. I gave it up mainly to get Internet service, plus the Verizon FiOS picture quality was better.

12. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    How do you know Xfinity dropped all channels to 720p?

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    $50 for 30 Mbps, $50 for unlimited (more than 1TB per month). Not $100 for 30 Mbps.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    He read it on the Internet. It must be true.

NR4P likes this.
  15. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Our Winters are so unpredictable. This year we got tons of snow in October and so far none in December and January. Dry powder is never an issue. Heavy wet snow is.

In 20 years subscribing to satellite I found the small dishes were not much of an issue. The bigger slimline dishes were a PITA especially after DirecTV insisted on mounting mine on the roof. I broke down and got a dish heater and that worked fine for many years, but a few times I had to climb on the roof and remove snow before I got the heater. Scared myself a few times on the icy sloped roof and ladder.

Finally about 5 years ago I got the Slimline relocated back to the side of the house where I could just brush it off as needed. DirecTV wold not remove the old dish, even though they put it there. They left it up to me. We get occasional 12+" dumps that is not fun hiking through to clear a dish. I always kept a antenna connected so I could still get locals during a snow storm.

Typing this reminded me of the bird fade I got once with Dish Network. I had no signal and went out to look at the dish. I had a dove sitting on the LNB arm. :)

Anyway, I am thankful for cable now whenever we get a big dump of snow. One less thing for this old guy to worry about!

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Because that is the resolution my Tivo is receiving, except I believe for two locals that are still 1080i. They slowly changed from 1080 to 720 at the same time they changed from mpeg2 to mpeg4.

17. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Actually Comcast/Xfinity is known for starving their channels when the opportunity presents itself. Back when HD was starting out and DirecTV was touting that it was the leader in HD and FiOS was adding more HD channels, Comcast began to compress its HD channels to fit more onto its systems. There was one thread on AVS where a guy was in the process of switching from FiOS to Comcast because Comcast had just launched his area's RSN in HD and he had to keep FiOS for a little bit to finish out a contract so he had both of them overlapping.

He noticed on some channels Comcast was severely compressing them to the point it was very noticeable. Using two identical TiVos with CableCards he was able to get bitrates from both FiOS and Comcast for the same channels and in some cases like A&E HD FiOS bitrate was 18.66 Mbps where Comcast's was 14.48 Mbps for the same program a whole 28.9% difference. The cause of this was when Comcast started to squeeze 3 HD MPEG2 encoded channels on 1 QAM frequency. His comparisons even made news on industry websites at the time.

They are now putting as many as 4 HD channels on 1 QAM frequency. Starting in 2015 they started their MPEG4 transition in what they call "HD Enhanced" :rolleyes: however some users are noticing that during the MPEG4 transition 1080i channels are being converted to 720p. Comcast's X1 boxes don't tell the customer the resolution Comcast is transmitting the signal in but TiVo will.

rey_1178 and Davenlr like this.
  18. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Like some here, I had directv for close to 25 years, from 1994 onwards (customer number in the very low 5 digits) but when the monthly cost started nibbling at $300/month (yes, I had 3-4movie channels, mlb exinn, and if course the 'ticket') for well past 15 years past early retirement, but the rediculous multiple reciever and HD fees (I note that dish just dropped the reciever fees and had minimized the hd fees long ago) I dropped the whole pack over a year ago, as I was paying comcast/xfinity for internet as well. Had a load of roku's already, netflix (with discs) and Amazon prime, added hulu and psvue (now yttv) and Disney+ and have mlb streaming as well, for some $150/month less.

But now xfinity just raised their internet fees 10-15%; I already have two flyers from wireless providers (us cellular and verizon), and I put in for the tmobile internet as I have them for cell service, but they never got back to me although both my two closest tmobile towers have been recently upgraded to both 600mhz and 2500mhz as well as 5g.

I don't think the corporate folks in philly realize what is going to happen now in 2020, i can't believe they are so dense. I used to know a bunch of folks in the business, especially as my father helped start a couple of cablecos back in the 50's and I spent my career after government service working for equipment manufacturers and doing worldwide customer service. But wireless including LEO sats are going to provide more than reasonable speeds at 1/4 the price as wireline. The cablecos are going to be squashed. Their stock is going to crash.

This is going to be fun to watch.

19. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, Comcast did it again. The kid watches the Nick channels in the 1700's here. Yesterday, they started showing black screens, then today not available on the Tivo. Checked the Xfinity stream app, and they are all still there in HD, so apparently, they removed them from the linear lineup and moved them to the X1 IP channels. Since Tivo doesnt do IP, I just get nothing.
    They are still available in the SD portion of the linear lineup though, so it looks like Xfinity is going to push everyone to their X1 platform eventually or lose all their channels. I have a lot invested in Tivo equipment here, and this is really sad.

20. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    File an FCC complaint they are braking the laws for cable cards