xm or sirius better?

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by Kali05, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Kali05

Kali05 AllStar

May 20, 2005
    is xm or sirius better does anyone know?

2. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
  3. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    I like XM because of the two radio theater channels - Sonic Theater and Old-time Radio.

4. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    They are both out of the running for me until one or the other offeres at least some music channels without annoying stream jockeys and ads for the station I am already listening to! If I am going to pay for radio, I want nothing but music if I turn to a music channel. Even though both XM and Sirius have better music mixes, I still listen to Dish's good ol' Muzak because they have no annoying interruptions every other song!

See ya
    Tony

5. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    While the ads for XM hardware are lost on me - I already have 4 receivers so I *know* about the Family Plan, the SkyFi2, etc - I appreciate the occasional program note.

I never would have known about certain Artist Confidential programs or particular guests of interest on the Bob Edwards show or that a particular group was in concert in my area.

I guess that, after putting up with 20+ minutes of commercials and countless minutes of blather per hour on terrestrial radio, a couple of minutes per hour of program notes on XM doesn't seem bad at all.

6. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Bottom line....here a the dealbreakers......

If you HAVE to have.....

NASCAR - Go to Sirius (They take over from XM next year)
    NFL - Go to Sirius
    Baseball - Go to XM
    Howard Stern - Goto Sirius
    Opie and Anthony - Go to XM
    Movie Scores (Cinemagic) - Go to XM

Re: Music......

If you like DEEP catalogs (hearing songs you haven't heard in a while), go to XM. Sirius prefers more recognizable tracks, but repeats songs that regualr radio plays a lot.

Personally, I keep hearing rumors about new head units coming soon that will receive XM AND Sirius. I have XM, but would love to be able to get Sirius for the NFL games while I am driving.

7. datwell

datwell Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 26, 2005
    I, for one, am very happy with Sirius! Nothing in this life is perfect, but Sirius is pretty darn good for my money! The NFL channel (124) is simply outstanding. Period. Schein & Riggins (1600 - 1900 Eastern) are my favorites, but I like all of the commentators. The Sirius NFL radio channel is just so juch better than the NFL TV Channel - if Dish doen't get the NFL channel - well, I can live anyway.

I really like the music too. Traffic info, news & talk are all there for the listening.

A few small gripes: the music selection is a bit "NewYorky" at times and their Christian-oriented programming is thin. These are small gripes though.

Overall, I really like Sirius!

--Doug

8. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    their Christian-oriented programming is thin.

That's because they keep trying to throw us fat Christians to the lions! :)

9. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    nascar is 2007

10. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Minor correction - NASCAR goes to Sirius in *2007*, next year it's still with XM.

11. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    circuit city has them i think its 399

12. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    I had both and I enjoyed Sirius more because it had better music IMO for my taste. For Hard Rock, SiRius has 80's Metal along with Hard Rock, and Heavy Metal, Classic Hard Rock or was it Metal which gave me more of a choice. While XM has a Metal channel that plays too much soft "hair" crap and their Hevay Metal Channel plays too much crap that's too hard and you can't understand what they're saying.

Sirius broke my kind of music down into more channels which use to give me more enjoyment and that along with Musak on Dish gave me one hell of a great set up.
    Get Dish and get Sirius and Muzak which is the best deal IMO. I got rid of XM after a couple months because they didn't have enough channels nor broke my styles of music down enough. But that's for my musical taste only.

13. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I have had Sirius for a year now, and Xm since last thursday... I have noticed that they play different music... I'm liking Comedy on xm150 as no Jim Breuer , nor Four Quotas or wise guys to interupt the comedy... it is nice to hear a little different music, But I do notice that the Classic Rock is harder to find. Xm does have more Country than Sirius which I find refreshing.

14. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Classic Rock is pretty much the realm of Top Tracks (XM 46). It's A-1 on my presets.

For the record, my presets are:
    Top Tracks
    Deep Tracks
    Boneyard
    Music Lab
    Highway 16
    60s on 6
    70s on 7
    80s on 8
    Cinemagic
    Unsigned
    --
    Laugh USA
    Sonic Theater
    Radio Classics
    Discovery
    NASCAR
    Fox News
    MLB Home Plate
    BBC World
    Traffic & Weather - Boston
    XM Comedy

15. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sirius has better satellite reception, especially important in northern states and Canada. It also has some more good programming - a better kids station, an all-Elvis station, some other stuff.

Because of their worse satellite network, XM has ten times as many repeaters... so if you live in a major city you may find XM has better reception for you.

16. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I did listen to Boneyard quite a bit today...more than the rest...

17. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I wouldn't call XM sat network "worse". It's different as Sirius and XM used different ideas. XM is using sats in geosynchronous orbit while Sirius uses sats in an ellitical orbit that "look" like they're doing a figure-8 over the western hemisphere.

It does mean that Sirius gives a better angle up north when one of their satellites is there. it also means that, just because you got reception in one spot, doesn't mean you'll always get it there (as my landlord in NJ found out trying to place his home antenna) because the satellites "move" in relation to the ground. This is less of a problem in cars.

The more/less repeaters issue is more due to how much power each one transmits at. Sirius decided on fewer, high-power transmiterrs while XM went for a more targeted approach with a higher number of lower-powered transmitters.

18. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    i live in nc not a big city but i had sirius and it would lose signal all the time i have xm now and i never lose signal i was once in a parking deck and still had service

19. deraz

deraz Daydreamer DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 25, 2004
    I have Sirius in my office and have had several cars with XM. I mostly listen to music (mostly blues, some classic rock) and the news stations (CNBC, CNN, MSNBC, Fox). I think they are pretty even. I do not listen to sports.

I believe they both can give you a 3 day on-line test drive. You might want to try them each before deciding?

20. reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    After listing to both XM and Sirius. I prefer XM better. On Sirius, many of the channels the dj's don't know when to shut up plus their 90's channel is pathetic playing some 90's and the crap of today. The Beat stinks. They yack to much and play too many pop remixes.