1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XM-Sirius Merger down to 1 vote

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by Pete K., Jul 23, 2008.

1. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Rapid City's pride and joy, Jonathan Adelstein has withdrawn his "generous" conditions and voted no on the XM-Sirius merger. That leaves Deborah Tate as the lynchpin.

2. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Orbitcast has an interesting point...

Hmmm.....

3. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Kind of a lame line: "A monopoly with window dressing." What's that supposed to mean? :confused:

4. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    More fuel to the rumor mill fire...
    http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN2341638620080723

5. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    "Tentative deal" made:
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/25819198

6. Stewpidity

Stewpidity Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    I cannot believe this has taken this long...pure bureaucratic BS...

7. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    The deal is done, or so says the WSJ. Only 491 days but heck who's counting?

8. cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121683130281477651.html Subscription may be required, below is an excerpt of the article.

FCC Reaches Tentative Deal
    To Approve XM-Sirius Merger

By AMY SCHATZ
    July 23, 2008 4:14 p.m.

A tentative deal has been reached by a majority of commissioners at the Federal Communications Commission to approve the merger of Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. and XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc., a FCC source close to the review said Wednesday.

Republican commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate is the only FCC member left to vote on the deal and she is expected to do so shortly, two FCC officials close to the negotiations said. She is expected to sign off on the deal in exchange for a consent decree that resolves several enforcement issues involving the satellite radio companies and a combined fine of about $20 million, an FCC source close to the deal said.

Ms. Tate has also asked for a variety of other minor conditions, an FCC source said. An adviser to Ms. Tate did not respond to a call for comment. Exact details about the deal are not known since FCC officials and lawyers for the companies appear to still be working them out.

9. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    FCC: "You're both losing money and want to merge to try to survive. In exchange for having followed all the rules, we're going to make you lose another $20M in order to get what you want - and we're going to call it a fine because 'blackmail' or 'extortion' or 'bribery' sounds so icky."

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    My only thought about the fine is that they both were to produce receivers that could be used on both systems and did not. Perhaps there were a few other things they were supposed to do (or not do?)

Cheers,
    Tom

11. deadrody

deadrody New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    They would make their radios interoperable IF they were allowed to merge, not before. Why on earth would two competing companies make their equipment work together ?

No, the $20 M is ludicrous. This proceeding has allegedly taken this long to "protect consumers" and then they slap a huge fine on them that they will just pass along to their customers. BRILLIANT!!!

12. bigbenny13

bigbenny13 AllStar

Jul 22, 2007
    This whole saga makes me feel like my head could explode. The Justice department takes 13 months and says no monopoly. Then the FCC tries to put unprecedented moronic stipulations like giving up 25% of its bandwidth to competitors, forcing HDradio tuners into sat tuners, a 20 million dollar fine for doing nothing wrong(huh!), and a bunch of other anti-competitive stipulations. The NAB were clearly trying to delay this deal so that the sat companies would be dead or crippled if it ever did get approved. I hope the new company sues the crap out of the FCC and NAB for ant-competitive, hostile business practices, bribing elected officials, anything so that bureaucrats get there comeuppance.:mad:

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Receiver interoperability is part of the conditions of a Digital Audio Radio Service (DARS) license and has been from the beginning. FCC rules state that each and every DARS operator must “certify that its satellite DARS system include a receiver that will permit end users to access all licensed satellite DARS systems that are operational or under construction.”

When someone pressed the issue, Sirius and XM got together and on October 6, 2000, filed a joint submission with the FCC that they were working on a solution. I think that's pretty much where it died.

Now that the merger appears to be a done deal, the losers in the battle (Clear Channel et al) want their pound of flesh.

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Make no mistake: this is politics at its peak of ripeness.

15. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    As harsh said, they would because they were required to by law.

Perhaps some of why they both are on hard times is general consumer electronics manufacturers couldn't make standard AV equipment and car radios that supported both.

Harsh, thanks for the details. I knew they were required, but not the specifics.

Cheers,
    Tom

16. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    First, Jim Cramer's take:
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/25818037

Second, this $20M fine is 36 TIMES the fine that CBS got for showing a boob on primetime TV (which, yes, got overturned in courts...something I agree with). Which seemed to upset more people and do more "harm" than XM/SIRIUS' violations. Doesn't that seem a bit excessive??

17. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Yeah, I have to close this thread as it so riddled with politics... (J/K) :)

Actually, you all have done a great job steering clear of the politics aspects. Thanks! That helps us moderators.

Cheers,
    Tom

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Depends on how you feel about someone lying on their application for a license to "serve the public good".

Interoperability seems like an awfully good idea that benefits the consumer and keeps the provider on their toes as far as remaining competitive.

19. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    My understanding of the fine is that it is related to their terrestrial links being above the FCC approved limits. I agree that $20 million is simply extortion.

20. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I thought they made it, just never actually sold it.:lol: