Yahoo News: NASA Crashes Multi-million Payload...

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Tele-TV, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Tele-TV

Tele-TV Godfather

Nov 26, 2003
    .... Huge NASA Science Balloon Crashes in Australian Outback.

Don't mean to be immature I chuckled :D inside when I saw the device take out a that green truck. :eek2:

PLEASE NOTE: The Buffering for the Video is ridiculously! slow. I don't know if its my ISP or what. And the audio is kind of iffy. But anyways here is the vid for anyone that wants to see.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/19379986

2. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I saw that footage yesterday and wondered to myself what kind of mickey-mouse operation they were running? Virtually no safety features I can see, no site or personal security measures in effect and just some random crane for hire holding something back that costs millions of dollars. It did not look like much thought was put into the launch phase of this to me.

The people who worked years and spent millions on the instruments (which I assume was the taxpayers) should be super POed IMO as this reeks of mismanagement. On a construction site nowadays, more safety and pre-planning goes into putting an air conditioner on the roof of a one story building. From the descriptions it sounds as if they are truly lucky no one lost their lives.

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Maybe they measured the tether line in meters instead of feet...

This one might download faster:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5uTFoP4yeE

I was once part of a crew installing a 4.5 meter Andrew dish on top of the seven story ABC News building in downtown Washington, DC. We had a crane lift the parts pallets to the rooftop, then we assembled it, then we called the crane back to help us lift it onto its mount.

The installation was a comedy. We had assembled the dish face down, supported by maybe a dozen 8" x 8" x 16" cinder blocks on end. The crane operator hitched his cable to some off-center attachment point and then went down to his crane cab. My supervisor handed me a walkie talkie and said, "You steer it." I said "No way", as I hadn't discussed the operation with the crane operator. Before I would coordinate an effort like that, we would at least have to have agreed to certain terminology, and the operator would have to have told me his movement preferences, like for when he has to go back and forth between extending or changing the angle of he boom and lengthening or shortening the cable to get the dish in the air while keeping the pivot point roughly stationary.

He acted miffed, but I didn't really care. He told us to stand around the dish to steady it, but as soon as the cable had been shortened a few inches, I could see that they had severely mis-estimated the center of moments and so I said to them that they had to refigure this. I was told, "that's why you guys are here. To steady it." I told him there was no way that the two or three of us who would be on the side it would careen toward could possibly stop it, but he ignored my advice and told the crane operator to lift some more. I stepped away and said to have someone take my place, and someone did.

A moment later, when the cable had been shortened another few feet, the lower edge of the dish toppled its support blocks and slammed onto the rooftop, knocking the guy who had taken my place and two other guys away like bowling pins. There was an exec from ABC News on the rooftop with us, watching, and he threw his hands over his face and said, "I don't think it's supposed to happen like that."

Have any of you ever assembled an Andrew reflector? This one costs $22,000 and was manufactured so precisely that the instructions said to not use a screwdriver to insert the several hundred 1/4" threaded panel mating screw in because all the holes were bulls-eyes and if you couldn't just push them through the holes, screwing them in might misalign a panel by some immeasurably small amount.

So now, ABC News has a precision manufactured, $22,000 reflector with a big sucker dent it in. I contacted the factory for touch-up paint to make the dent less visible, but believe it or not, Andrew sold matching touch-up paint for $600 a gallon, so I bought some inferior product at a local hardware store for under $10, and we got paid for the job.

I've long since lost rack of those installation crew members. Maybe now, they are working for NASA.