1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yankees blackout

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Motley, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Motley

Motley Mentor

Sep 23, 2004
    I have been getting irritated with the stupid blackouts I have run into this year. I am in western NY which means I am in the Yankees market. Whenever My9 carries the game it is blacked out on YES and MLBN. Directv doesn't carry my local WB so I get the one out of Washington DC which means no Yankees game.

It's complete BS that feeds are blacked out for people that are in the market when that happens.

2. hdtvman

hdtvman New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I live in Buffalo and MY9 games were not carried until this year. DirectV doesn't carry the station that carries MY9 games locally. It is only on TWC, and maybe FIOS. Somehow we are getting MY9 games. I was pleasantly surprised. Does TWC carry MY9 games in Rochester? Good luck I think they have been carried on CH 633 or somewhere i that area.

3. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    I am in North Carolina, so certainly out of the Yankees TV "zone of influence". As a subscriber of MLBEI and the SportsPack, I have been able to catch the My9 games on 633. All of them have been there.

4. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    First of all, you said that "My9 Games are blacked out for you on YES and MLBN". I'm assuming by MLBN you mean MLB Network. First of all. Whenever a My9 game is broadcast, the game is NOT on the YES Network channel 631. My9 Yankee games have channel 633 standard def, and channel 633-1 HD designated for Yankees Games. Secondly, MLB Network does not carry every Yankees game. Check channel 633 or 633-1 the next time the Yankees have a My9 broadcast. I'll bet the game will be on for you.

5. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Interesting. I'm in the same situation as the threadstarter, blacked out of the My9 Yankee and WPIX Mets games on DirecTV. The PIX games aren't available OTA, while the My9 games are available on a subchannel in 480i. Do I need to tell anyone else who's gone HD how unmotivated I am to watch a game in SD when the majority of games I can watch in HD? This is one of the reasons I won't do MLBEI.

6. Motley

Motley Mentor

Sep 23, 2004
    The My 9 games are also blacked out on Yes 633. YES on 631 was showing something different when the game was on so I switch to 633 and it's blacked out. MLBN is also blacked out at the same time. I can cheat and watch the MLBN feed on the sports mix channel if I am curious as to what is going on but it isn't practical to watch it.

I wish they would just carry my local WB channel where I'm sure it was shown.

7. NowSTL

NowSTL Cool Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I am way out of Yankee territory so subscribe to MLB EI. I watch mostly on YES on 631 and have noticed the last two weeks rather than hunting My9 games on the 700s, I am watching the HD feed on 633-1. Didn't notice that earlier in the season. I'm visiting relatives and between MLB Network and ESPN tonight, I get to watch the Yankees. Actually visiting friends back in NJ and going to the game Friday night. Good thing Burnett is not pitching then.

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    These blackout rules need to be thrown out. I realized that MyNet9 has the rights to a certain number of games, but since most MyNet outlets are SD we should be able to get the games in HD on YES.

We need to complain to MLB and to the FCC.

9. midd

midd Mentor

May 19, 2010
    I'm not sure why the game was blacked out for me today. I live in Southern NJ, aka Philly country. However, the game was broadcasted on ESPN so I believe it was a national broadcast. So why would it have been blacked out?

10. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Comcra... er, Comcast?

11. kpantz

kpantz AllStar

Jan 7, 2009
    Ayup.

I kinda got around it by watching the game on the MLB Mix channel (I'm an EI subscriber), knowing that I couldn't actually select the channel without being blacked out, but I could highlight the top-right box and get the audio. :)

'Twas a shame that "Bad A.J." showed up to pitch, though. :(

12. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    the game was on espn last night so i guess that would explain the blackout, yes?

13. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    The real problem here is that MLB allows teams to carve out territories that are just plain too big. My thought is no team should be able to claim an area that is outside its OTA signal. Here is an example why.

I am trapped in the Tampa Bay Rays & Florida Marlins markets. Their games are always blacked out on MLB EI forcing me to a local RSN to watch any of their games. Of course, not all of their games are broadcast on an RSN, and I am way too far away to pick up OTA signals from either team's city. My DirecTV locals come from Orlando, so I am effectively blacked out of watching the teams that claim me in their territory when there is an OTA broadcast or no broadcast at all. The games are always available from the opposing team's network on EI, but I am denied access to that broadcast even if my "local" team is not broadcasting the game. MLB blackout rules are actually denying me the ability to watch games of the teams that claim me in their market.:lol:

Fortunately I have EI for the Red Sox games, so this is only a real problem when the Rays/Sox play 18 times a year. However, if I were a Rays or Marlins fan I would be really hot about this situation.

14. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    MLB should adopt the old NFL Blackout Rule. 75 Miles away from the stadium should be considered "Out Of Market" and No team should be able to claim territory more than a 75 mile radius outside their area. That would be the best for all. If you live within a teams 75 mile limit you should receive that teams home broadcast whatever channel that may be. Either they need to do that or they need to just do away with all blackouts. The Rules were made in the 50's and 60's when noone had cable or satellite. Only thing there was back then was rabbit ears.

15. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    ESPN has exclusive rights for their Sunday nite baseball.... no blackouts can occur... game is only on ESPN... Fox has Saturday exclusivity. Any other day, blackouts will occur. :nono2:

16. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    The part I have in bold is part correct. Texas Rangers have a long standing exemption from MLB allowing them to play and televise (in market only) Sunday night games during the summer months due to the extreme Texas heat.

17. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    When the Yanks play on My9 (WWOR), the games are on ch. 633-1 in HD. If you are in market or have MLB EI (and aren't within the home market of the team the Yankees are playing), you should get the My9 games.

18. Motley

Motley Mentor

Sep 23, 2004
    633-1 (YES Alternative) was blacked out for me and I am in the market. MLBN was also blacked out for me.

19. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    This is why all teams should move exclusively to cable. Tigers games are only on FSD and everyone gets them no matter where they live.

20. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    While it may seem like it, not EVERYONE has cable or satellite for TV. There are still millions of homes depending on OTA.