1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YAP: On PIL/PIG

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TigerDriver, Oct 17, 2007.

How Should PIG and PIL be implemented?

1. Make PIG/L optiona

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Make PIG and PIL individual optionals

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Either choice is fine

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerDriver

TigerDriver Electronics Engineer

Jul 27, 2007
    Currently, a scaled-down image with sound appears in the upper right corner of the screen when the user navigates to either the Playlist or the Guide. This appears to be a "love/hate" feature, so cast your ballot for how you think it should be implemented.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    YAP (Yet Another Poll)

I fixed your typo on your title: (nother instead of another... and the thought the acronymn would be more fitting)

3. blucas95

blucas95 Legend

Sep 26, 2006
    I would definitely like to see the PIL/PIG as options a user can turn off.

I hate coming back from watching a previously recorded show to have the PIL showing something that is currently recording that I don't want to see for fear of "spoilers". I've just trained myself to automatically hit the "mute" button and avert my eyes from that corner of the screen after deleting a show when finished watching it.

Being able to remove the PIL/PIG would be AWESOME! :D

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    As with the AutoCorrect poll...

I don't have a vote in this one, as my option is not there...
    As I would not like to see an option.

As if the option is set, then I might forget to turn it back on...
    Or if someone else set's the option in my house...

I would agree, that it would be nice if the PIG/PIL would be blank when the content being played is actively recording.

But that would be about it.

5. johnck78

johnck78 Godfather

Feb 18, 2007
    PIG not a big deal for me, PIL is an issue for spoilers. On my Tivo, I would Tivo Central button before turning on the TV when recording something that I didn't want to spoil (ex. Football)

6. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    I di the exact same thing on Tivo.

p.s. The poll is missing PI(Setup) and PI(VOD)

7. tiger2005

tiger2005 Godfather

Sep 22, 2006
    +1

Can't vote as I would like not support this.

8. TigerDriver

Jul 27, 2007
    Do your mean "forget" or "not notice?" I can imagine either wrt autocorrect, where changes are potentially subtle. But wouldn't it be, like, incredibly difficult not to notice that the video that normally occupies about 10% of the screen is missing? Or, on the other hand, that 10% of your screen is suddenly occupied by it?

I think, however, that you can make a powerful case that slugging the PIG/PIL when recording the dispayed content ought to be the default behavior.

9. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    One poll option I would like to see is to expand the size of the GRID and the Playlist to cover the PIG/PIL windows.

Rather than just blank the window, I'd like to see that space put to better use by providing more information, if the user elects to turn on this option. /steve

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's funny, so many people wanted this feature when TiVo didn't have it, now just like autocorrect you're seeing people say they don't want it.

11. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    I absolutely want it, just with a bit more intelligence so that i don;t get spoilers.

12. TigerDriver

Jul 27, 2007
    Of course. One of the side benefits of switching off the PIL/G is more screen real estate for INFO. It would be pretty goofy engineering not to tie these two things together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.