1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yearly Price Increases

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Dave, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    Now it would appear there are three (3) things we can count on going up yearly. 1st: Cable TV 2nd: Satellite Services and now we have the Postage Stamp: Yes the post office is wanting another (2) cent increase in the cost of postage stamps.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I hate price increases too... but people always want raises.

I still see a huge disconnect from reality in most people I meet who want to make more than $30 per hour to flip burgers BUT want those burgers to still cost 50 cents.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    There's a web site called dMarie Time Capsule. Enter your date of birth or any other date as indicated. You will get interesting information including prices.

4. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    I always am amazed that many folks take increasing prices on things like gas and food for granted, but just go ballistic over a 2 cent hike in postage. Personally, I'd much rather see the postage go up (even to 50 cents) than stopping mail delivery on Saturday.

At 50 cents, it would still be cheaper than just about any other country in the world.

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    That is why I forgo the fancy stamps, and get the forever stamps.

I am actually the Post Office is surviving.
    I use about 2 stamps a month tops.
    Almost my regular bills are paid electronically... only the occasional 1-off bill is paid via mail... with even some of those being paid electronically if available.

When invites go out for parties... we either send it via email, facebook, evite, or hand deliver. I think for our last event, we only mailed 6 out of the 100 invites.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    My Comcast internet was going up $3 to $45.95/m, so I dropped down from the mid-range "performance" tier to the $26.95/m "economy" tier, a difference of $19/m, and a savings of $228 per year. That'll teach 'em to try raise rates on me!

I wasn't getting the speeds I was paying for anyway. :nono2:

EDIT: Speaking of "Forever" stamps, I'm still drawing on the original supply I bought when they first came out. Some of you may recall I posted a thread about how many F-stamps I should buy to last the rest of my life. I still have some and, thank God, I'm still here! :shrug:

7. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    I don't mind the stamp price increase as much as the Post Office paying FedEx to deliver packages. Driving up there cost. Plus about 2 years ago the postage rate increase was for congress and not the postal service who did not see any of the money from the increase. If they could leave the politics out of it and just let the workers do there job for a decent wage.

8. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I still have about 10 stamps from the kit I bought two years ago. I need one stamp every four months for HOA fees and the very occasional item to go in the mail. While I hate all of the junk mail I recieve, I realize that without it, the post office would most likely have been out of business many years ago.

I have seen them become the last leg for some Fed Ex deliveries. I suppose they must have a deal where Fed Ex takes some of their stuff while the USPO takes the other. It does make sense for Fed Ex to take a bundle of packages for home deliveries and let the PO take them out instead of them traveling through so many blocks of residential housing.

9. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    I don't mind the token increases in the price of postage as much as I mind the cuts in services. Not only is elimination of Saturday mail delivery being proposed, but Saturday collection of mail would be eliminated, too.

I wouldn't mind the eliminaton of Saturday delivery so much, as in recent years I've noticed a major reduction in the volume of mail I receive on Saturdays. In fact, I would say I don't receive any mail on about half the Saturdays a year. It's become my lowest volume day of the week for delivery without question.

However, Saturday is my biggest day for outgoing mail. With the elimination of so many of the blue collection boxes, it's driven me to pay as many bills as possible online. Still, there are always a few things that have to go through snail mail. In my area the collection boxes are pretty much only found in dense commercial districts. There isn't even a collection box anywhere close to my workplace, so I end up gathering all the outgoing stuff on Saturday and driving to the nearest commercial area where I know of a box where they still offer Saturday pick up - for now.

10. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I have a dim view of parts of the Postal Service. My ex-wife works there and hates what's happened. When she took the job, it was with Emery Air Freight - they were under contract to deliver Priority Mail for the USPS. They had a celebration one day because, during the holiday rush in 2002, they managed to move ONE MILLION packages through the facility in one night (yes, there was overtime involved).

The following spring, the USPS decides to run the facility themselves and takes Emery out of the equation. Now my ex is a USPS employee versus being an Emery employee and because she refuses to join a union gets hassled for it. She gets assaulted (mail thrown at her) and the perpetrator has his union buddies by his side to lie for him and say he was in the union break room. By the time that the 2003 holiday season rolls around, with more employees than Emery had, and more overtime hours, the union complains that they cannot possibly be expected to move 300,000 pieces in one night.

With more people, they couldn't do one third the job. This is what's wrong with the Postal Service.

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The problem is that for a reason the United States Post Office was created in Philadelphia under Benjamin Franklin on July 26, 1775 by decree of the Second Continental Congress.

It became the Post Office Department in 1792 based on the Postal Clause in Article One of the Constitution, empowering Congress "To establish post offices and post roads."

When it was converted to the United States Postal Service on July 1, 1971, there was some recognition that the times they were a'changing what with those newfangled telephones and all, but bills were still coming first class mail and magazines and newspapers second class mail and we still had a few old relatives who wrote letters. We'd already become deluged with junk mail we didn't want.

Today, 30 years later, we get two bills in the mail, both from local utility services. We pay every regular bill on line, even those two bills. We get some magazines, but I'm already looking at e-editions. We still get junk mail we don't want, including catalogs we've asked not be sent to us because the same folks are filling our email boxes.

Except for official stuff like property tax bills and income tax related 1099 forms once a year, we don't get anything we really need to get by mail. It's nice that the postman comes around most every day, but I interact more with the UPS guy.

Perhaps the necessity that existed in 1775 doesn't exist for most Americans 235 years later? Just a thought.:sure:

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Phrelin, are you suggesting that the USPS do away with itself?
    Where on earth would I go to get my junk mail fix every day?

:sure:

I'm not at all surprised. I worked in a union shop as a non-union employee for a year. The environment was hostile for me, and the pace was like being in a time-warp. I can empathize with your wife's situation.

13. Cable Lover

Cable Lover Legend

Jun 19, 2007
    I had thought about doing that. Did it affect your speeds in any noticleable way?

14. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Our rural smalltown Post office isn't even open on saturdays anymore - if we need to send something on saturday - off to the pack n ship or the next town that's larger. I'm half surprised the rural contract delivery is still delivering on saturdays.

15. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Due to the gains in technology I can just check my email.:(

16. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I usually go in bursts with stamps. It seems like I won't use any for 6 or 7 months, and then all of the sudden, I'll go through 10 in a month. For me, it's usually for stuff that won't accept online payments or when I'm in the process of setting up an auto-payments and the company needs a check or form mailed to them.

No mail on Saturday wouldn't bother me a bit. Our community mailbox is in my side yard and even with it being in my own yard, I still don't seem to check my mail more than once or twice a week. I would probably check it less frequently if the mail guy would just put the mail in the package box when my box is full. Instead, he leaves me a note and takes the mail back to the main post office.