1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yee-hah!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bullshark, Jan 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bullshark

bullshark Cool Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I want to thank Directv for cancelling FOX networks in South Florida.

Without this little push I would not be revelling in the lush world of U-Verse right this minute. 2 hours in and *everything* is better.

I would still be stuck in the land of 10-second channel changes, Endless pauses between modes, buggy software, rain-fade and half-assed channel line-ups.

Thanks Directv, I need the push.

You are no longer entitled to collect $112/mo from me or deny me equipment upgrades that you shower on every new sign-up.

I won't have to come here to find out if the latest screw-up in your buggy-buggy-not-ready-for-beta-testing software has been reported yet.

So long folks, and all I can say is: When U-verse knocks at your door, don't even wait a millisecond before you say "yes". My new DVR is fast, capable and small. Its made by a real electronics company with a reputation to protect and (gasp) a software quality assurance department.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    If you really feel this way, why bother posting here. :)

Good bye and good luck.

3. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Wow - bitter much!?:)

Hope all is well over there - It seems everything is a trade-off these days.

I hear possible down sides to U-Verse could be picture quality and the number of HD streams. That and Sunday Ticket keeps me with DirecTV for now.

I'd be interested in the HD picture quality difference if there really is any.

Good luck!

4. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    Does U-verse use the same RG-6 runs as D* SWM, one to each receiver from a splitter?

5. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    lol, give it more than 2 hours.

I'm currently transitioning to Verizon FIOS, and while I can say the same about how nice it is to have a responsive DVR that operates and changes channels quickly and never experiences rain/snow fade; I would never give them a carte blanche recommendation without recognizing the fact there are some things DirecTv simply does better and I will miss.

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Just wait... you'll have issues. I have both services. Uverse reboots a lot, missed recordings, takes forever to delete stuff.

7. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    There's a slight difference, with DIRECTV being better. Most programming you can't tell, but any serious motion results in blockiness.

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    :wave: I'm sure you'll be missed.

9. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    It's sad that you are so insecure about making the move that you have to convince yourself and everyone within earshot what a smart deal you made.

It's early. Remember my name when you come crawling back, which is typically inevitable. Whisper it as your eyes start to close when you fall asleep on disconnect day.

And don't let the doorknob hit you in the...

10. markrogo

markrogo Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Uverse's HD quality is almost certainly the worst of any of the major providers. Their feed is very bit-starved, and it shows.

11. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I've been with FiOS for four months now and am not planning on coming back to DirecTV anytime soon. There were a couple hiccups in the transition, but I really like the fast response to remote commands, the 2 1/2-hour HD guide, the VOD choices, and the $40 per month savings I'm getting for the next year (and 20 per month after that). Picture quality seems about the same for HD but SD channels look somewhat better than they did with DirecTV. About the only SD channel that I watch is Turner Classic Movies.

There's still lots of interesting stuff on this board. Who knows? I may decide to come back to DirecTV after the FiOS two-year commitment is up.

12. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey Legend

Sep 5, 2011
    This is something that I would expect a teenager to post.

I can't believe how many immature people there are on the Internet. The WWW really exposes how many people have such a difficult time growing up.

13. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Best wishes, but you went from the best in customer service to the worst in customer service, AT&T.

14. rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    I'm glad you're happy. Please post back in about a year and let us know how it's working out for you.

15. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I've moved this to the General forum as it doesn't relate to receivers.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the occasional vent.

I will just say to discuss the topic and not each other.

Mike

16. onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
    See you when you come back!

17. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Do we have a "don't feed the trolls" emoticon?

18. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I've got 9 tuners in my setup. "Everything" can't be better as Uverse can't duplicate that one ;)

19. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    First off DirecTV didn't pull FOX off the air in South Florida. It was Sunbeam, who owns WSVN, that made DirecTV pull them because DirecTV refused to bend over and take it. Second they didn't pull FOX off the air in South Florida. I'm in South Florida and I get FOX just fine via DirecTV, and no not OTA.

20. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    Enjoy your awful overcompressed 6 Mbps 1080i channels on U-Verse.