Yellow/Orange/Green/????

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by Spanky_Partain, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    When I installed the DECA's according to our instruction sheet, I had Yellow C.LNK LED's everywhere.

After a complete power down of everything and fresh startup, Green C.LNK LED's now appear everywhere. I have not moved the filter to any other location.

I moved the H21-200 network connection to Port 2 of the HR21-200 DECA cloud and took the removed DECA(1) unit from the H21-200 and put it on the R22-200 which added it into the DECA cloud. When I first did this, the C.LNK LED on the DECA(4) unit making the up-link to the home network went yellow. This DECA(4) unit is connected to the splitter that feeds the R22-200 also. I pulled power on the R22-100 and rebooted and that fixed the yellow C.LNK on the DECA(4) unit for the up link.

DECA Cloud
    DECA(1): R22-200 (Port 1)
    DECA(2): HR20-700 (Port 1)
    DECA(3): *HR21-200 (Port 1) - H21-200 is now plugged into (Port 2) of HR21-200
    DECA(4): Linksys 5 Port Switch => Router

PI and Splitter
    Splitter Out 1 => DECA(1)
    Splitter Out 2 => DECA(4)
    PI => DECA(4)

Now I cannot create some of the yellow C.LNK LED scenarios at will. However, I think that when hooking up a DECA, it seems that if the SAT/DECA cable is attached and then the network cable is plugged in, the likelihood of getting a yellow C.LNK is less.

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I get green on the HR20-700 and HR21-200 and DECA 4 (with Internet), if that's all I hook up.

The minute I hook up the H21-100, all turn to Orange.

I've reset the entire system 4-5 times, tried moving the Filter to different locations, changed around 2 DECA units....the results can be repeated and remain the same every time.

I gave up trying to figure out the colors...until we learn more from DirecTV.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    FWIW:
    I think filters at the SWM are what we want to test, since this is what will happen when the filters get added to the newer SWMs.

4. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Makes sense....tried that too with the same results...

5. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    This morning I noticed the DECA(4) unit that is the uplink to the home network change to a yellow on the C.LNK LED for a little bit then turned green again. This is the only one that I have caught doing this and it was short lived.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    In my history, this has happened many times.
    Once the filter was either removed or moved to the dish [same added line length] 3 green and one yellow has changed to 3 yellow and one green.

7. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Well...being the persistent little guy that I am...

I decided to shut all of DECA down...then move around the DECA units themselves, and also moved around some of the splitter connections.

None of those changes involved really changing anything in the overall configuration...just moved coac connections around a bit.

To my surprise, I now get all GREEN C.Link LED lights on all 4 DECA units.

Makes no sense, as again.....I did not change any configuration...just did things like move the left and right side output connections on a splitter in reverse, and also just physically switched DECA 2 and DECA 4 adapters.

In any case...

I am all GREEN now, and MRV works very well on all units, Internet and Network tests pass on all units, and Network Services pass on all units.

I am also running TVersity, and MediaShare runs on all devices.

Looks like I'm at 100% of the planned results.

8. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    :nono:

Sure seems like one of us could duplicate the yellow C.LNK LED and consistantly produce it or shut it off by now!

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I had green lights before. Downloaded CE Friday night (H21 and DVRs) and went to bed. Didn't check anything. Out of town until this evening. Now I have all yellow C.link lights.

Checked my LIST on the H21, not working. So I did a menu reset on the H21. While the H21 was rebooting, the other C.link lights went green. As soon as the H21 came back up, all the C.link lights went yellow again. LIST still doesn't work on the H21-200.

Okay, list partially works. Never does anything if I press the LIST button. But if I go through the MENU, PLAYLIST route, I get the transparent playlist on the screen (not populated with anything).

Doing another reset right now. I'll report what happens. RBR this time...

Okay, interesting. This time the c.link light went back and forth several times from yellow to green. I tried doing a LIST and with the c.link light green, it works. With the c.link light yellow, it doesn't work. At the moment, it's holding green (and LIST is working).

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Last week [before the homework] I moved the 75 ohm load around on my 4-way splitter [since only three cables] and managed to change the one orange/yellow DECA from my H21 to my HR21. Then with the filter moved/removed, only my HR20 [off this splitter] was green. Downloading CEs on all didn't change anything. three orange/yellow and one green.
    "For grins", I just moved the load back to it's original position [where the HR21 was connected] and now have ALL C.Link LEDs orange/yellow.
    Since this splitter has just about the same loss through the isolation [port to port] as it does "bouncing" off the filter [now that it is moved to the dish/SWM] and simply changing the "loading" of the splitter is causing these changes, it is kind of pointing to the 550 MHz RF signal.

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Based on the mixed bag of results...wondering if adding some details on switches/routers/splitters would help....at least for comparisons. Different splitters, switches, and routers may have different characteristics.

In my case, using a DIR-655 1GB Wireless Router to a Buffalo G54HP wireless Ethernet Connector on DECA 4 for the Internet touchpoint.

Using the DirecTV-supplied splitter at the HR20-700, with one coax route to DECA 3 and the other to DECA 4.

DECA2 is directly connected at the HR21-200.

DECA1 is directly connected at the H21-100.

The coax to all DECA units goes from the output of SWM Port 1 through 2 Skywalker SKY23302D Splitters.

Please note that all DECA units now reporting solid GREEN on C.Link LEDs now for over 24 hours, with Internet, Network, and Network Services all passing tests - MRV and Direct on Demand and Direct Cinema working fine on all 3 units.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If this is an RF related "thing", it would seem coax lengths and splitters would be about the only things to affect the C.Link status.
    By moving the filter to the dish, I've added about 6 dB of loss for all DECAs which has had the most effect 3 green to 3 yellow/orange, and with "some tweaking" at the Skywalker SKY23304D have been able to get all of them orange/yellow.
    My splitters:
    Skywalker SKY23302D & Skywalker SKY23304D

13. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    All splitters I use are the Skywalker 302D's like VOS uses....except for the DECA PI connection that uses the splitter supplied by D* with our DECA kits. I have the power passing leg between the DECA PI and the SWM. Just for giggles and grins I decided to try swapping the power passing side of the supplied splitter (not expecting to see any change in my all green DECA's) and after resetting the PI (unplugging and replugging), all went back green as I expected.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    After playing some more [see the homework thread] I've changed those off my 4-way to green, but still have orange/yellow off my 2-way splitter.

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    This morning all c.link's are yellow and holding that way. Had to reset the H21-200 in order to send a report, and the reset did not effect the c.link light.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Reset of my non responsive HR21 hasn't changed my 3 green & 1 yellow C.Links.
    "The feeling I'm getting" is the network LED has nothing to do with the network cable [connected or not], but is the status of the DECA cloud network and the C.Link LED seems to be related to the DECA "comm/control" status. but then :shrug:

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Puzzling indeed.

I'd love to see some more "guidance" or "feedback" from the DirecTV DECA team on the results that we have posted in our installations and testing - perhaps clearing up some of the mystery.

18. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    This CE 4339/339 seems to be the same with the C.LNK LED. The only one that is still turning yellow/green is the uplink to the home network. This particular DECA changes back and forth about every minute or so. The others are all green.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Downloading CEs has caused my "three greens" to become one green and the rest yellow/orange.

20. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    My C.LINK lights remain all green on all 4 DECA units on at least the previous and current CE versions the past 2 weeks.