Yes I'm cancelling, but I don't hate DirecTV.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by carlsbad_bolt_fan, Jul 10, 2020.

1. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Reason I'm leaving is because my wife lost her job & I'm furloughed. So cutting costs was a priority.

I looked at other services, including streaming. I didn't see one that I loved.

I've got Spectrum for phone & internet. They had a deal where I could had TV & 2 DVR's for $55/month. That pricing is good for a year. I was paying $187/month with DirecTV.

Only channel I don't get with Spectrum (as it's part of another package) is MGM.

I loved DirecTV's service. Been using it since 2000. Going to miss NFL Sunday Ticket. But with this pandemic, we might not have a season.

If things change for the positive in a year, I might go back.

I'll still swing around DBSTalk. I've learned a lot from the posters here & want to thank everyone for their insights.:blush:

B. Shoe, APB101, krel and 8 others like this.
  2. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    Sorry to hear about your job woes. I hope you and your wife find meaningful work in the near future.

There are a number of free streaming services. I get it no one wants to watch commercials, but it wasn't all that long ago that we had no other choice.

All the best to you and your family!

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Growing up I had a uncle who taught me that life is like a spoke on a wagon wheel. Sometimes the spoke goes up and sometimes the spoke goes down. Right now your spoke is pointed down but that will change. And when it does no matter which way the wagon goes the spoke can only go up! As steve053 pointed out there are a number of free streaming services. Pluto TV is one of them and they offer a variety of programing. Stay positive. Your situation will change.

4. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    sorry to hear about your wifes job loss and you being furloughed. stay positive and things will get better and you'll get your dtv back in time:);). i wouldn't worry to much about the NFL ticket i don't think were gonna have any sports till next year:mad:... have you tried calling the loyalty dept and trying to get a deal??? just a thought

carlsbad_bolt_fan and AZ. like this.
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sorry you have to go thru this, sometimes life just sucks but it always gets better. Sad? Get a puppy. Nothing helps like a puppy when life beats you down. I think.

Rich

6. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    It took quite a few attempts to get through to someone. Kept getting the "due to circumstances beyond our control, we can't take your call at this time...".
    When I reached, they looked at my account & offered nothing. Though, I didn't expect to be offered a similar deal I got with Spectrum.

krel likes this.
  7. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    That is an amazing sentiment. Thank you for sharing it with me. :)

I did look at Pluto. It's nice, but doesn't have what I was looking for. I have two kids and needed something for them as well.

8. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Thank you. :)

9. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Oh, I've got a silly pupper & she's awesome! Huskies usually are:

[​IMG]

Jillxz, Gary Toma, krel and 4 others like this.
  10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    She's beautiful, wish I could have such a dog. Allergies.

Rich

carlsbad_bolt_fan likes this.
  11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Double ouch! Yeah, the current world circumstances really hurt at this time.

I cancelled DirecTV when I moved to Texas. Again, I put less of the blame on AT&T and DirecTV and more on content providers who keep increasing the cost while I barely watched.

krel and carlsbad_bolt_fan like this.
  12. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Totally understandable and I hope everything improves for you and your wife.

carlsbad_bolt_fan likes this.
  13. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i have never had any problems with getting through. it's the problems with the CSR'S that have rocks in there heads that don't know how to work the billing system!!! i got the premier pack for 121.00 with a 100 dollar rewards card and two back lit remotes. for complaining. we have spectrum out here and the world box is crap they don't fix **** like the cable in the walls from outside.. been fighting that for 2 years and nothing. but when i canceled them they wanted to rush someone right out to fix it but i told em to shove it where the sun don't shine i ain't got time for there ********. i made the right choice going to verizons 5G home broadband with DTV. i have verizon for cell service and if you signed up for there stay connected program they will let you slide a month on the bill but the next month they break it up into 6 payments wich really helps!! now there screaming for me to bundle my cell phone with em i'm like um **** no:D. after dealing with directv's customer service i am sure i would regret bundling my wireless with em:eek:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  14. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    just a heads up spectrum is going to be having a rate increase also!!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  15. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    just curious have you and your wife thought about leaving CA with the high cost of living??? and the mayor and govenors lunicy on covid???

16. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    that isn’t always as easy as said then done depending on careers. And in most places in CA the income matches the cost of living based on career

17. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i agree

18. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    Bolt,
    You have been one of the 'originals', since the beginning of time. I am truly sorry for the job situation impacting your family. The fondest hope is that things change so that we can maybe welcome you back in a couple more months. None of us know where all this is going. But you are a part of that group of 'good people' that we need to keep around; they make life a pleasure.

And what a beautiful puppy !!

Rich and carlsbad_bolt_fan like this.
  19. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    My in-laws live here, about a half mile away. They're in their mid 80's & we look after them. Plus, I'm a CA native and don't wanna leave.

20. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Thank you, sir! I'll be popping by from time to time. My hope is that everyone's situation gets better after this. :)

krel likes this.