YES Network coming to Cablevision?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by cnsf, Nov 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    I just heard a rumor from a Cablevision customer that Cablevision is going to carry YES very soon.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

If this is true, will Dish lose out on new subs in the largest DMA if they don't get on board?

2. BrettR

BrettR Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    Maybe. But Not necessarily.

Dish has international programming, AT 50 programming - packaging Cablevision doesnt offer. Cablevision may have a broadband discount though, something the satellite companies dont offer.

3. AJ2086

AJ2086 Godfather

Jun 1, 2002
    I dont think Cablevision will carry it unless YES lowers there price, that was the whole issue in the first place and anyone in that area that really wanted YES has switched to D*. But E* wont lose out, they have alot on Cablevision, in most Cablevision areas there is no Digital Cable so that means under 100 analog channels, E* and D* surpass them.

4. cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    The rumor is that Cablevision and YES came to an agreement. Wouldn't E* follow suit if this were the case?

5. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Why should I be forced to pay for a channel that I can't watch?

6. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I would not leap to the conclusion that DISH will carry this because Cablevsion has agreed to (and we dont know that for sure).

These threads are pure speculation.

7. Bill D

Bill D Godfather

May 10, 2002
    I think Dish should just either eat the costs like Directv did or change the pricing for AT 100 in the NY area. I emailed Dish a few weeks ago saying that now they have the Nets and soon after the Devils in a few years. This is a lot of sports programming for an area to not carry..

8. BrettR

BrettR Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    DirecTV isnt eating the costs. They are putting it on the subscribers requiring them to take Total Choice in order to be subscriber. I got DirecTV assuming one day I could downgrade to a Limited Choice with alacarte options, but DirecTV changed the rules requiring Total Choice to be a subscriber. I told D*, good bye I dont want Total Choice any longer.

Yeah, Dish could do the same eliminate AT 50, eliminate alacarte and require AT 100 then their margins would be higher. I am assuming though Dish would grandfather existing subscribers.

IMO, there should be guidelines for RSNs. FCC doesnt consider RSNs to be important of having any rules applied to them, except if they are cable-owned and satellite-delivered.

To me, if all 3 MSG, FSNY and YES are going to claim the NY/NJ region (a very big region) plus demand basic service carriage plus make its viewers sit through commercials so they can make money off advertising, they should not all 3 be charging $2.20 per subscriber which is the average RSN rate. It should be about $.73 per NY region subscriber. $2.20 divided by 3, the number of RSNs that claim that region. The average RSN rate is about $2 to $2.20 right now.

This way the DBS provider can leave aside $2.20/mo for each AT 100 or Total Choice subscriber where the money goes to the RSN. In Philadelphia, that $2.20 should be credited back to the TC subscriber since there is no RSN offered at all.

Right now the 3 RSNs (MSG FSNY YES) combined will get close to $6 per NY directv subscriber. So DirecTV actually loses money in New York per subscriber (their margins are lower). DirecTV can only make up in volume.

CCSN in D.C. will only get $2 per month per directv subscriber though in a smaller market. YES, MSG and FSNY benefit that NY can support that many teams and the fact that the NY RSN coverage area is close to 10% of the country.

9. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    :rolleyes: When will you people stop with that. Your bills won't go up. Anyway you can watch it, just not for Nets or Yankees games unless you have NBA or MLB Sports packages.

10. Fresco

Fresco Guest

I'm kind of Shocked that Dish hasn't come to an agreement with YES. Surely the subscription to Dish Network have been lower in the NY area because of it...Right? Is Dish waiting to see what Cablevision does? Why? Are they working together or something?

11. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    No the price is not lower in NY. Boy have we been through this before.

12. cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    We have, it's just there is a rumor that Cablevision and YES came to an agreement. Without the details of the agreement, there is no point in speculating. I am just trying to a) confirm whether or not it is true and b) if it doesn't require the "Basic" requirement, would Dish follow suit? I would have to think they are losing subs hand over fist to D* in the NY DMA.

Also, the NY subs would have no problem in paying extra for YES so other subs in other regions who can't even get it don't have to fork over the extra chump-change.

Don't believe everything wither Dish or YES tell you. YES is asking too much per sub and the basic requirement is ridiculous. BUT, Dish is being unreasonable in scaring all their subs into believing all will have to pay for this channel.

13. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I don't believe everything I read in these things but I also don't know how anyone would know what the NY subs are willing to pay. These things are a quagmire. We all have aright to an opinion but these opinions don't change reality.

I have no problem with the original question. But sometimes we get pretty silly after that.

14. cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    Don't really understand what's so silly... Generally speaking, if you are willing to invest in Dish and you're a Yankees or Nets fan, you'll fork over the extra $2-3 to get the channel...a fairly safe assumption. Do you mean the tangents have gotten silly?

From a business perspective, carrying YES would help E* compete in NY which they are clearly losing to D* right now as per all the recent articles I have read in the local papers.

So, again, not sure what is "silly" when all I am trying to do is confirm whether this "rumor" is true or not....no one has yet answered this....

15. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Peace Kermit.
    I don't think anyone but the parties involved can answer it. I did not mena to offfend. Just pointing out that you are speaking for a lot of people. Who knows who is willing to pay----especailly since they would not pay with cable or DTV.

Anyway have a good day. I hope you get your answer.

16. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    But it makes for such great discussions. :D

17. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    So does Britney! :lol:

18. cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    Is it possible for one to form a solid relationship with an Avatar? If only yours were 3D, James.....

19. cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    Sorry for the emotions. It's a pretty charged issue here in NYC.

20. Gemini365i

Gemini365i AllStar

Sep 7, 2002
    I really don't care about YES. I don't watch it, and I wish I could take it off my subscription. I am neither a Yanks or Nets fan. I love the Knicks(who are losers this season, it's kool) and Mets.

I'm the odd ball out huh? Who cares about YES? ONLY Yankess fans. The Nets have no fans!

JE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.