1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YES Network to Dish, Ever?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Bill D, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 5, 2004 #1 of 34
    Bill D

Bill D Godfather

May 10, 2002
    I have pretty much have had it without the YES network on DIsh, before I go to Directv, just wanted to ask if anyone has heard of Dish being involved with any negotiations with the YES network, as maybe mentioned on a chat or something.. Just want to be sure before I switch everything over. I have also emailed dish. I'm guessing no way :(
    thanks
    Bill

2. Mar 5, 2004 #2 of 34
    pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    nope

Dish wont be adding yes Anytime soon Make the switch to Directv

3. Mar 5, 2004 #3 of 34
    MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Nope, as far as I understand it (and there's a good chance I'm wrong), DISH has said that YES wants DISH to pay them for each subscriber they have, whether or not they receive YES or are even in YES territory... Again, I probably misunderstood that since it sounds so rediculous, but that's the way I understand it.

4. Mar 5, 2004 #4 of 34
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    As long as Yes wont budge, Dish wont either. So Dish is not going to get YES anytime soon.

See ya
    Tony

5. Mar 5, 2004 #5 of 34
    reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    I am too sick of waiting for Dish to carry YES. It seems the only Yankees games that are on Dish are blacked out. Plus we are having nothing but switch problems and they want us to pay a fortune to upgrade (read my post in the Directv forms for more info) it will atcually be cheaper to switch. Plus I will get Nicktoons and not have to worry about the stupid Viacom dispute.

6. Mar 5, 2004 #6 of 34
    yankeebob

yankeebob Guest

Why is Dish Network the only company that can not get a deal done with the Yes Network? This will be the 3rd season in a ROW that Yankee games will not be available on Dish Network. I can't believe Charlie and his fellow programming people can not come up with a simple solution that can possibly get a deal done. Why can’t Charlie make this happen…? This should have been resolved a long time ago. Why does it seem that DTV never has a problem getting a new network and Dish Network ALWAYS seems to have problem…However Dish Network doesn’t have a problem raising rates every Freaking year and they have not added any new channels to justify the price increase.

Also Dish Network is having problems with Viacom??? Dish Network is a JOKE!!! Stop waiting my fellow Yankee fans…Switch to DTV NOW…What the hell are you guys waiting for? Stop being at the mercy of Cheap Charlie…He doesn’t like sports so he doesn’t give a crap about any sports fans…

7. Mar 5, 2004 #7 of 34
    kstevens

kstevens Icon

Mar 26, 2003
    Get a life.

Ken

8. Mar 5, 2004 #8 of 34
    lazy

lazy Guest

Same old:
    BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=23415&highlight=YANKEE

9. Mar 5, 2004 #9 of 34
    poop

poop Guest

I think that D*, E*, Comcast, etc *ALL* raised thier rates this year. And the year before... If you want your cost of living to stay the same every year then go to Cuba. Don't single out one company for raising its prices.

Go ahead and switch is my advice. As far as viacom goes, they are negotiating. Im confident I'll have no interruption in service. That may be a JOKE to you as you say, but personally im not worried one iota.

YET ANOTHER loser who doesnt get the fact that "Charlie" isnt the only person working at dish. Ya know, he's got VP's that take care of these things-- the company isnt Charlie going to 80 meetings all day from Channel negotiations to CSR training to 811/921 product roadmap meetings to SW development scheduling to new channel selection to rate hike discussions.

GET A CLUE about how a company works first. Then GET A CLUE that MOST viewers dont CARE about the YES network.

10. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    A quick primer on how to watch the Yankees on E*:
    If you are among the very lucky, live in the NYC DMA, or "move" you can watch 20 games this season on WCBS-TV.
    FOX Saturday baseball: Several games this season including a Friday night prime
    time game against the BoSox in April.
    ESPN/2: Some Wednesdays and a handful of Sundays, plus a rare day game or two
    and late in the season, a Friday night or two.
    Subscribe to the "Multi-Sports" pack for $5.99 and watch the tail end of games versus
    numerous opponents, after the "3 hour blackout" is lifted.
    Watch the one or two games televised on WPIX versus the Mets. Of course, if you
    are OOM, you'll have to pay for a "Superstation."
    In short...If you wish to watch all the games..switch to D*.

11. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    All of the ESPN Yankee games are blacked out in those ZIP codes that the Yankees claim (which also includes a bunch of ZIP codes that Philly also claims for blackouts). YES has the right to show you those channels in your area.

12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    As it's been repeated several times - if you REALLY want to watch the Yankees on TV - switch to another provider (be it cable or D*).

13. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    But all of you Mets fans like myself are welcome (and you can take great comfort in the fact that George Steinbrenner is not getting a DIME (much less $2 a month) from you to keep killing the economics of the sport......)

And I could care less about the Devils or Nets until the playoffs start......

14. amit5roy5

amit5roy5 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 3, 2004
    I'd get DirecTV if they would offer the international services I need. I know they offer international, but they don't offer the international that I want. :(

15. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    There's nothing wrong with subscribing to both services, picking and choosing what you want to take from each.

16. CAL7

CAL7 Legend

Dec 16, 2003
    To answer the original question.... On the January Charlie Chat, he said they were awaiting the result of the arbitration hearing between YES and Cablevision. I don't claim to know all the facts, but I believe the arbitration is due to be settled near the end of March (on the eve of the season opener). The issue seems to be whether Cablevision will carry YES on a standard or premier tier: YES wants to be available to all NY area subscribers; Cablevision wants to limit them to a premium tier.

While Charlie has said the arbitration is a prerequisite to their decision, I don't think he has said what the result will actually mean to DISH customers. I am guessing that if Cablevision sets a precedent to carry YES on a premium tier, then DISH will negotiate a similar package. If the arbitration goes the other way (YES included in standard programming), then I fear that Charlie will walk away.

I have never seen any basis for the outrageous claims that YES opponents constantly throw out - that YES wants a subscriber fee for every nationwide DISH subscriber, including people who cannot legally receive the channel. This can only be true in the far-fetched logic that all DISH customers pay for all regional sports channels, e.g. that a Kansas City subscriber is paying more because DISH has to pay for carriage of regional sports channels in L.A. or N.Y. or Boston. YES is one of many regional sports channels that increases DISH's costs, but presumably Charlie makes a business decision on each one that calculates the costs and the subscribers gained/kept by paying for it. YES is more expensive than others, but if it brings in a large number of subscribers, then overall DISH's price/cost structure is improved.

17. johnycash

johnycash Guest

if dish had the yes network then I believe that more people from the NY area would get dish network. Charlie lost a golden opportunity to get the customers that left cable to dtv.

Many people from my neighborhood got DTV because of the Yes Network my dumbass is the only one sticking with dish until something is resolved. So if nothing gets resolved by opening day of baseball for the Yankees then I guess I will just cancel...I don't think Charlie would care losing me anyway.

18. CAL7

CAL7 Legend

Dec 16, 2003
    If DISH really puts up Extra Innings, only the Yankee fans in NY will be without their team. Maybe YES is the next surprise.

19. uncdanwrong

uncdanwrong AllStar

Feb 11, 2004
    Actually the rest of the country doesn't want you to see the best example of why MLB needs a salary cap!

20. CAL7

CAL7 Legend

Dec 16, 2003
    Take a look at the statistics on attendance. Without exception, the highest attendance for any home team is when the Yankees visit. So, I think the rest of the country does want to see them. If every viewer nationwide were freed from MLB's territorial claims, YES would clearly be the number one baseball network.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.