yes network

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by koa0525, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koa0525

koa0525 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    I have been a DISH ower since 2000 . I got it because my local cable system did not have a decent signal . I am happy with the video and sound ..
    Now can anyone tell me WHY the YES network is still not available..

2. Leprechuan

Leprechuan Legend

Apr 18, 2007
    $$$$$$$$.

3. koa0525

koa0525 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    I understand ...but that means that "D" and my local cable systems in my state did not care about cost ...LOL

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yep ... explains why cable rates and D* costs more than E*.
    They don't care about cost, they just pass it on to YOU! :)

E*'s base price ("AT100") is $29.99 ($34.99 w/locals) W/RSNs - $34.99 ($39.99 w/locals).
    D*'s base price ("Choice") is $49.99 - whether or not you want locals or your RSN (regional sports network ... the type of channel "YES" is).

Obviously D*'s "Choice" has more channels than "AT100 Plus" but if if you are saying "all I care about is my RSN" those extra channels don't count. But for a fairer comparison "AT200" for $47.99 w/locals is comparable to "Choice" for $49.99.

What YES demands is that every subscriber in their market, whether they want the channel or not, be forced to pay for it. If E* offered YES under the rules YES wanted they would not be able to offer the $29.99 ($34.99 w/locals) package anywhere YES is sold.

So yes, E* cares about price and D* and your cable company do not. :)

5. Ron61250

Ron61250 New Member

Jul 18, 2002
    I have dish but need to add cable$40./mo to get YES HD during baseball season.To me it is worth the extra cost but sure wish *E would add it soon. ron;)

6. satexplorer

satexplorer Superstar

Feb 6, 2007
    Highest Floor
    DirecTV has rights to YES Network.

7. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    The first answer is the closest to correct. :)

YES Network wanted their channel to be included in basic programming packages -just like very other RSN on Dish Network and DirecTV. I don't know if YES demanded to be on *every* New York area account (i.e. AT60 and above) as Mr. Long says above - but at minimum Dish and YES could not agree to a price to add the channel for New York area subs. Dish did offer an a-la-carte option for YES, which YES refused.

Since anyone who really wanted YES has switched from Dish Network a long time ago, the chances of YES being added to Dish are remote at best. This is the first year I don't recall seeing even a rumor of YES being added.

8. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    The difference in the amount YES asks for is pennies more per sub than SNY - there really is NO good excuse not to have it on the.system by now - just stubborness really.

For this reason alone DISH is small potatos in the largest DMA and an area with a high income level.

To say Charlie (or directv) is doing it to save you money is absurd. Let them shut down the 5 plus shopping networks to lower costs.

9. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    I have YES HD with Verizon and I had YES HD with Patriot Media cable. I also
    have Dish Network. Dish Network was charging me $137 per month. Verizon
    charges me $110 a month. Of the four HD providers available to me, Dish,
    Directv, Patriot Media (soon to be Comcast) and Verizon, everyone has YES HD
    except Dish. Of the four, Dish's basic HD package is the most expensive. Charlie
    is pocketing the savings by not providing YES HD.

10. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    You are a troll above post says so. Any one that is smart knows that the 5 plus shopping pays Dish ----so dish makes money by having the 5 shopping networks Please post in the Direct TV forum!!!

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Please provide a source for your information. Not a source where you or someone else speculates that E* is "small potatoes" in NY but actual statistics that prove your accusation.
    One more time for the hard of reading --- SHOPPING CHANNELS DO NOT COST MONEY - THEY BRING MONEY TO THE CARRIER. Shopping channels pay. If E* cut off five shopping channels they would be losing money, not saving it.

PS: PIs pay too ... Please get your facts straight. Thanks.

12. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    At this point it should be abundently clear that if you feel the need to subsidise the Yankees payroll by paying for YES you'll have to have a tv provider other than Dish. As has been pointed out there's plenty of options. On the other hand if you think that the Yankees already make plenty of money w/out adding your two cents to the pot than subscribe to Dish and deny the Yanks your spare change. The thing that's always been very telling to me about all this is that Dish has pretty much every RSN out there that matters except YES. So if E* can come to an agreement w/ everyone else but not YES where does that tell you the issue is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.