Yet another guide rant

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by wje, Nov 21, 2019.

1. wje

wje Godfather

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    I'm amazed I don't see more traffic about this. I'm totally fed up with the horrible guide data I'm now getting, far worse than it used to be. Multiple shows that show as 'new' when they aren't, duplicate recordings of exactly the same show sometimes even back-to-back, and most annoying, actually new shows that don't get recorded because they aren't flagged as new. Just what's going on? Some plot by Dish to get us to dump them and go to streaming? It's getting very tempting. Ok, end of rant. Uh, well, after my post rant - just what am I paying $135/mo for? I could sign up with every major streaming service for less.

satcrazy and DJ Lon like this.
  2. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Don't bother messing with a Tivo then...since they get the same, crappy Rovi data, we go thru the same garbage as well... :mad:

3. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Yes it is. Its amazing how the same episode that comes on at 8pm and then is a rerun at 11 both show in the guide as new. Also when you know a show is new but it just has a generic description about the show.

4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I have been having that issue for some time. If I get a dup recorded, I just delete it. At least I get one copy of the show.

5. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    It is not just Dish. We see it with Directv, too. Blame the channels and the guide data producer for not being as thorough as they used to be. Glad to see it's not just Directv, though. I don't think streaming would solve it, they probably get the same guide data. And streaming DVRs are crap from what I hear!

On a side note, why on earth are all these Dish posts showing on the Directv page?!?!?!

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    With dtv at least, if that happens it will only record one of those episodes because it knows not to record the exact same episode twice in 30 days or if it’s already on the DVR unless the first recording is a partial. So my question is, does dish do this as well? I’d assume so, which would then lend to the idea that the guide data is really bad because it’s not identifying the actual episodes.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Dish at least doesn't record if it is already on the DVR. Can't say about the 30 days.

8. fmcomputer

fmcomputer Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Youngstown....
    i complained about this 6 months ago, even had a tech check all my settings to avail

9. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    DIRECTV'S DVRs have some recording issues similar to this. You are not by yourself.

tampa8 likes this.