You think I would know better!!

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Phil T, May 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    In 1997 when I first got DishNetwork I mounted my Dish on my deck with an overhanging tree. I didn't understand that the beam is at a higher angle then I thought and I could only get a signal in the 40's. I called Dish and they came out (for $55.00) and found a spot on the side of the house that worked great.

My wife did not like the dish visible from the front of the house, so shortly after the Dish 500 came out I put in a pole mount in the back yard. I also had Dish add a 148 Dish for locals on the back side of the house and I added a 61.5 dish on the side of the house for HD.

Last November when I switched to DirecTV I tried to use the pole mount but it could not see the 101 satellite (tree). I ended up putting the dish back on the side of the house where the original Dish 300 was.

All was well until last week.

I noticed I was getting a breakup on HD Net and some of the other 119 channels. A huge cottonwood tree had finally grown big enough to block the dish. I checked out the back yard and decided to go for another pole mount. I installed it last week. All seemed to be fine, except when cutting the grass I accidentally bumped the dish and found out that the concrete did not set up right to hold the pole. I pulled the whole thing out and started over. This time, with my wifes assistance with the concrete, the pole set up fine and all was well (so I thought). I had all signals in the 80's and 90's and all was looking great until yesterday morning.

Yesterday was very windy and my daughter came to me and said something was wrong with the satellite. I checked and several of the 101 channels were breaking up. On transponder 12 where I usually get 100 it was going from 100 to 0. Then I figured out the problem. A tree in my neighbors yard north of my installation was swaying so far in the wind that it was overhanging the Dish!

So today, I ripped the whole thing out again and mounted it on the side of my Tuff Shed, the third time this week I had to move the dish!

This spot is the only spot in the yard or roof that can see all three satellites.
    There is a tree in the neighbors yard behind me that will probably block this spot again in a couple of years.

Make sure the trees behind you are not growing over the top of your dish before you set the concrete!!! (duh) :(

It looks like I better start looking for a new house!!!

2. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    (cough)Chainsaw(cough)

3. Spruceman

Spruceman Guest

Maybe the neighbor would welcome an offer from you to pay to have their tree trimmed. They might be on the fence about pruning/trimming in the first place and be willing to pay part or all of the cost themselves. Or offer to share the use of your dish(es) and switch(es) with them if there's unused capacity [NOT the account!]. Some people would jump at that opportunity, especially someone who would like the programming but has some weird hangup about the sight of a dish(es) in their own yard.

Obviously, if you raise the issue with them and they say NO, and then some nocturnal roving chainsaw or a rainstorm containing agent orange attacks their vegetation, you would be the first suspect.

4. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    These trees are huge 20+ year old cottonwoods. The quote I got about 10 years ago to take one down was over $1000.00.

The neighbor with the overhanging tree has Dish Network. I talked him into it several years ago. I have DirecTV.

Attached is a picture of the offending tree (well part of it) and my new Tuff Shed installation. The pole mount I just removed was just left of the lighter part of the fence.

At least now, if my wife throws me out of the house, I can watch DirecTV in the shed!!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.