You Tube TV is PIA

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Davenlr, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I have Disney+ and all the family members have a profile
    I have HBOMax and all the family members have a profile.
    My family member has YouTube premium and I am a member of the family.
    I subscribed to YouTubeTv and tried to add family members, and NOPE. Wont let me add family because I am already in a family. No way to share YouTube with my family members unless I drop out of the "family" and start a NEW family. Then the other family members have to create NEW email accounts to join the NEW family.

This is the most F*cked up system I have seen in my entire life. So either everyone in the family has to use my account, with my DVRs shows mixed with theirs, or we all need to be in TWO separate families, or I need to cancel YTTV and the family member with Premium has to subscribe and I have to give him the money each month, or he needs to cancel Premium and I have to pay for it, and he needs to pay me, all to share a stupid cloud DVR. Does Google not realize TWO people in the same house MIGHT share expenses???
    God Google is dumb.
    Great first impression of a service. It has me so pissed off, I dont even know if I want to keep trying it.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The term "family" is kind of like the term "unlimited". It means different things to different people.

Few things in the pay TV industry are interpreted the way we would hope them to be and as time goes on, I expect that people trying to game the system will run up against more and more roadblocks.

I think that using a term like "household" might be less ambiguous. That way there's no confusion about whether or not your father-in-law is really "family".

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If they are concerned, go by the IP address. Everyone is in the same house here. I understand the reason for offering everyone their own login, so you dont have to give your account password out to your family members (or physically log them on yourself) but why not allow members of the same family (or household, or IP address) to each pay for a different service? Why require ONE MASTER PERSON to have to pay for everything? So, to solve this issue, the MASTER PERSON with the YouTube Premium account has applied for a YouTube TV promo from T-mobile like I did, and when he gets his promo and 14 days after my free trial, I will cancel, and he will subscribe, and then everyone will be back in ONE FAMILY again, and I will just have to pay him the $ for the TV.
    By the way, another reason the whole system is stupid, is, temporarily, both he and the other family member in the house just created a new email address, and I added them to the family. THen I created a new email address, and they added me to their family. So its not like its stopping people from cheating if that was their intent. Its just like HDCP, it only messes with honest people. Criminals worked through it a long time ago.