Young Broadcasting locals shut off....7PM 12/11 back 5PM 12/14

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by buzzcut, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1 of 102
    buzzcut

buzzcut AllStar

Dec 12, 2006
    from KELO-TV/KCLO-TV website (Sioux Falls, SD market):

Dear Dish Network Subscriber:

Dish Network's contract with KELO-TV/KCLO-TV expires on December 10, 2008 at midnight. KELO-TV/KCLO-TV offered to extend the contract in an attempt to reach an agreement with DISH. The extension was not accepted by DISH. For the past several months our company has attempted to reach a new agreement with DISH Network. Unfortunately DISH Network has elected not to accept our proposal.

We know that it is important to keep you informed, and, therefore, we want you to know the FACTS:

DISH Network charges you a fee for KELO-TV
    KCLO-TV. We believe DISH should be willing
    to pay a small, but fair, portion of the fees
    you pay to DISH for the program content we
    provide to you.

The fair compensation that we are asking for
    as part of our contract with DISH is less than
    a penny per day per subscriber. We believe that
    a penny per day per subscriber is a reasonable
    demand for our award winning news, sports,
    and entertainment programming. It is consider-
    ably less than the amount paid by DISH to less
    popular satellite/cable networks.

DISH will likely contend that the increase we
    are asking in its fee is unreasonable. It is
    not. We have provided DISH with our signal at
    a very modest rate compared to what DISH pays
    other program services that are less popular.

We are trying to prevent DISH from
    discriminating against our station.

If you want DISH to continue to provide
    KELO-TV/KCLO-TV, please call DISH and let
    them know.

We will continue to work diligently in the hope
    that DISH will complete an agreement for
    carriage of KELO-TV/KCLO-TV.

i reside in a rural area, so, this becomes a pain in the YOU-KNOW-WHAT-----for a number of reasons.
    just hope something gets done.

2. Dec 10, 2008 #2 of 102
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Well presented argument.... except playing the discrimination card makes them look silly.

3. Dec 10, 2008 #3 of 102
    jimborst

jimborst Legend

Jun 13, 2006
    As for "happening elsewhere?" just to your south Sioux City lost channel 9 KCAU for about a month when the company that owns KCAU couldn't come to an agreement, I guess it's just your turn. Hopefully it won't last long, but don't expect KELO to be on dish after midnight.

4. Dec 10, 2008 #4 of 102
    47HO

47HO Mentor

Apr 11, 2008
    I wonder what the KELO-TV/KCLO-TV advertisers think of losing Dish viewers? After all, they are paying fees for their commercials to be sent FTA.

5. Dec 10, 2008 #5 of 102
    dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    In baton rouge, LA the abc channel has been off the air(due to money dispute) for almost a year,
    the dish slate says the abc channel wants "an over 100% increase"
    and now the nbc, fox and cw( all 3 are owned by the same co) are threatening to be pulled on Jan 1st unless they get an increase in money from dish.
    So come Jan 1st, baton rouge might only have cbs on dish:mad:

6. Dec 10, 2008 #6 of 102
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If the station really wanted to serve the community they would have elected "must carry" and forced DISH to carry them (without payment). Instead they have done what many stations have done ... decided to sell their signal.

There are two sides to the story ... I suspect that just after midnight DISH's side will be shown on a slate in place of the channel. Expect language reflecting the % of rate increase, etc.

7. Dec 10, 2008 #7 of 102
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I also wonder... are they saying a penny per Dish customer or a penny per Dish customer that subscribes in that local market? Sounds like semantics, but makes a difference in the math.

Even still... Dish charges $5 per month for locals... and a penny per day comes to roughly 30 cents per month. By my math that would be a 6% increase if Dish just passed that on directly. Compared to $5 a 30 cent increase does sound steep when you figure that $5 covers not just those locals but all the locals in the market... so if 1 or 2 channels is asking for another 30 cents, that could make dominoes fall and the other channels would be asking for it as well.

Meanwhile, as James said, local stations have the option of negotiating for carriage OR declaring themselves "must carry" and being carried for free. I don't begrudge local stations for wanting fair compensation, but it does have to be FAIR compensation.

8. Dec 10, 2008 #8 of 102
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Out of that $5 per month comes-
    circuit to uplink
    connections (OTA or direct fiber) to the local stations.
    rent for facilities,
    power.
    Plus make some profit on each subscriber.
    And now, with HD being added, more costs on uplink circuit, as well as more equipment to receive and process.

9. Dec 10, 2008 #9 of 102
    GravelChan

GravelChan Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    A "modest" increase according to keloland.com, less than a penny a day which translates to $0.30 a month in my mind. I saw a copy of another station's website comments which looked to be a carbon copy of of Kelolands comments. Probably another station owned by Young Broadcasting. My personal feeling is that they should be glad to have additional coverage.

10. Dec 10, 2008 #10 of 102
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If one did the math solely on the cost to carry the channels in a market I doubt DISH makes a penny at all. This isn't cable where a local antenna feeds local customers. Locals have to be backhauled across the country to a satellite uplink center for retransmission via satellite. DISH has poured millions into complicated satellites just to carry locals.

On the up side, customers expect local channels are expected to be carried - so where DISH can offer locals they have a better chance of selling their service. Their investment pays off by increasing overall subscription levels. But the actual dollar paying for locals isn't enough to pay for the locals it provides.

11. Dec 10, 2008 #11 of 102
    mspuhler

mspuhler New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    The exact same letter (except for the call letters) for WLNS in Lansing, MI.

12. Dec 10, 2008 #12 of 102
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Personally I'd call them, not DISH.

13. Dec 10, 2008 #13 of 102
    music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    I don't know if there is a thread on this, but it appears that Young Broadcasting stations are slated to be pulled from Dish Network at midnight tonight. The station in my area affected is KELO-TV, CBS.

http://www.keloland.com/custompages/dishnetwork/index.cfm

Sister station WKRN in Nashville has a similar letter on its site.

14. Dec 10, 2008 #14 of 102
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    While it is not obvious, the Uplink Activity indicates some preparation for the takedown. "LTD" = Local TakeDown.

15. Dec 10, 2008 #15 of 102
    UKWildcatFan

UKWildcatFan Mentor

Apr 23, 2008
    WATE in Knoxville says the same thing. If this happens I will be looking for other means of service provider. I have stayed the course not crying because they haven't added a station or 2 that I would like to have in HD, but IMHO this is a breach of contract. I know it won't get me out of my contract but I will dump Dish if this happens.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?s=9496818

16. Dec 10, 2008 #16 of 102
    Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    LOL, okay! :rolleyes:

17. Dec 10, 2008 #17 of 102
    dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    It seems to be happening on a few stations that dish is having trouble with.
    Here in baton Rouge, the abcstation has been off dish since April 30,2008
    http://www.2theadvocate.com/wbrz/releases/19462224.html

and now the Fox, nbc, and cw is threatening to be off of dish come Jan 1st if they cant work out a deal.
    http://www.nbc33tv.com/home/related/28656489.html
    http://www.fox44.com/home/related/28656554.html

That would leave Baton Rouge with only CBS. If this happens dish will get a bunch of cancellations as Directv now also has the Baton Rouge locals in HD.
    This would be the last straw for people to jump to Directv.

18. Dec 10, 2008 #18 of 102
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  19. Dec 11, 2008 #19 of 102
    music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    Well, as for us, we will stick with Dish as we have our handy converter boxes, and we can receive KELO OTA via antenna in digital.

20. Dec 11, 2008 #20 of 102
    ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    Funny, same thing happened to our local NBC station (Lin TV affiliate)with Time Warner recently; they pulled the station for about a month, and the station was running heavy ads to switch to Dish.

The mud throwing got pretty harsh between TWC and that station, both trying to act like they had the viewer's interest at heart, blah blah. Whatever.