Your advice needed.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by newdnuser, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newdnuser

newdnuser New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    I signed up for the Dish Network free DVR deal with a 1 year commitment in September, 2003. At the time of the install I requested the local channel package and some international channels. I was informed that the local channels were not available in my area and was asked to pay $100 for a second dish for the international channels. Reluctantly I paid this.

I called them last week to subscribe to a new international channel that is now available and they told me that I needed to get a Super Dish and that I would have to either pay approximately $200 for the dish or agree to extend my subscription commitment for a year from the date of installation of the Super Dish. I then asked them about local channels since they are now available and they told me that the local channels were also available only with the Super Dish and I would either have to pay for the dish or agree to extend my subscription commitment.

It just seems wrong for Dish to do this, since I paid for the 2nd dish just 4 months ago. My understanding from reading these forums is that the Super Dish was available in September.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

2. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    What city's locals are you trying to get (or should I say, qualify for?) They may not be on SuperDish.
    There is no Int'l on Superdish right now...everything is on the wings (the 2nd dish)

So if your locals are on SD, there lies a problem. Since Dish doesnt have the DP44 switch available (which allows hookup of 4 satellites) yet..

If you let us know what locals you qualify for, we can offer more help :)

3. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    Indeed -- I am curious which int'l channel you told them that you wanted to subscribe to that they said you needed a SuperDish for...

- John...

4. newdnuser

newdnuser New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    I live the Baltimore metro area. Dish Network told me that I needed to get the SuperDish for local channels here.

The international channel I was trying to get is a new Indian language channel being introduced by Dish Network called Surya TV. Dish Network told me that I needed to get the SuperDish for this channel also.

5. James

James AllStar

Sep 2, 2002
    This link http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish121.shtml says it is on 121 and on channel 800.

I dont know if it is available yet......

6. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    Nope..No Int'l on 121 is available...I checked and it isnt on the wings, but might move there soon

Baltimore is available on SuperDish. If you agree to a 1yr commit to at least Top50+locals, the dish & install is free. Its 24.95 for shipping, but waived with CC auto pay.

7. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Isn't it possible that Dish will have it on 121? I mean, Lyngsat does indeed show it there... Someone showed it as there on November 15th. It might not be available via Dish at this point, but it appears to at least currently be uplinked to 121...

Yes, I think he knows -- he mentioned in his first post that they offered to give him the SuperDish for free if he did a 1 year commitment and he doesn't want to do that. To be honest, I think he should just do that and be fine with it -- but he isn't. Granted, I can see his argument -- since he just paid for the second dish a few months ago -- but that's the way it goes sometimes since I don't think SuperDish was officially available even at that point. And, even if it was, he just got unlucky...

- John...

8. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    In another post it was mentioned that all Int'l on 121 is back in engineering step, and may never go live on 121.

I think Charlie wants to use 121 for locals.

9. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Yes, I agree -- I just meant that since the channel is currently there -- it is certainly possible that the CSR wasn't being a complete fool (as is often the case, unfortunately) when they told him that he'd need a SuperDish for that channel.

So, yes, it'll likely change and not be correct -- but it wasn't completely impossible either since the channel currently exists there, at least...

- John...

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Internationals have never been sold to be received from 121º. Where the CSR got the notion that a SuperDish would be needed is a good question. E* would not have told them that. Perhaps the CSR is confused about the requirement to have a second dish for internationals (pointed at 61.5º or 148º) or they are a complete fool and think a SuperDish will receive 61.5º-110º-119º or 110º-119º-148º.

In any case, one does not need a SuperDish for internationals and the peak behind the scenes that our resident sky surfers report is that the channels are on their way out. YES ... they are still occupying space at 121. But only engineering and hackers get to see them.

JL

11. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Doesn't the fact that that int'l station (which is now offering, I believe) is even uplinked to 121 already indicate that, at least somewhere along the line, Dish thought about putting it there for sale? I mean, it seems odd to me that it is actually THERE on 121 if DIsh never even thought about selling it from there.

Maybe it was in the works at one point and a memo went around? I dunno -- just seems a huge coincidence that the CSR incorrectly told him that he'd need a SuperDish for that channel -- AND the channel is actually AT 121...

Granted, maybe Dish changed their minds -- but things at least indicate that at one point, they had some plans to have it there...

Or do they just uplink things to 121 for testing? Seems an odd bird to waste space testing channels on just for the Engineers...

- John...

12. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    If you really want the channel, I'm assuming that E* is the only one to carry it. If that is the case, go for the extended commitment as you probably won't be leaving anyway.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    :bang :bang :bang
    Yes, they thought about it. But the SuperDish for 121º was not sold until AFTER the decision was made to move locals planned for 105º over to 121º. Not one customer has been sold a 121º dish for internationals.

Or maybe the CSR just had their head up their butt. :shrug: Do you know the CSR personally? Or are you just so sure that the individual cannot be to blame for the misinformation that they give the customer? Sigh.

JL

:icon_band :blowout:
    Happy 2004 !!!

14. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    I know. The guy said that it was a new int'l channel being introduced -- at least, that is what I thought. Therefore, since Dish is putting so many new locals on 121, I thought it POSSIBLE that they might also put an int'l or two on there that they wanted to sell. It was just a thought...

Geez -- relax! :eek2: The only reason I wondered about it is because no one seems to be able to tell me why in the heck Dish uplinked the stupid channel to 121 at all! As I said, seems odd to use 121 for "testing" just for Engineers to watch some new int'l channel!

THAT is all. I thought it ODD that they did that. I even asked specifically why they would do that in case it is some obvious thing that I just don't know about -- but you kindly ignored that part of my post, I guess -- so that you could rip into me a little extra.

Whatever. I'm not being ignorant here -- I'm not being stupid -- I'm just curious about why Dish put the channel on 121 at all if they didn't even consider selling it there. Maybe that ALWAYS put new channels there for testing -- I really have no idea -- and is why I asked about it!

You seem to have all the answers -- I thought you might share one instead of just repeatedly announcing that "there are no int'l channels on 121." :rolleyes:

- John...

15. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    P.S. As I said before, I'm fully aware that CSRs generally have no idea what they are talking about. I usually just ignore most of what they say since it tends to be inaccurate. But, I couldn't help but notice, as I pointed out earlier, that it seems a significant coincidence that the CSR said he'd need 121 for that channel and, oddly enough, it's actually AT 121! That is why I asked why it was there. No biggie.

16. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, it makes for an interesting situation.

Baltimore is only on 105.

Surya TV is on channel 800 only from 121. It appears to be available for subscription as it is in the EPG on my 301.

This means one would need a 105 SuperDISH and a 121 SuperDISH to get both Baltimore and Surya TV, but there is no configuration which allows 4 sats with DISHPro hardware. So the only possible way to get them now would be a legacy DISH 500 with 2 dual LNBFs and 2 30" inch or larger KuFSS dish setups all connected with an SW64/SW21 4-sat cascade setup(it is not certain that this 4 sat configuration is supported at this time). Then there is the kicker. You would lose all of the Internationals you currently get from 61.5 since at least for the time being while they are at 121 they have decided to not make them available to subscribers. They were for a while, but only the new internationals are showing at 121 now.

Like I said, It is an interesting situation, but not completely out of the realm of what they should expect to provide for subscribers, especially from Baltimore. You are already an example of what the ethnic makeup of the Baltimore area is.

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    When you find out let us know. Especially since you seem to be unwilling to accept the explaination given in this thread.
    I probably should have ignored the whole thing, but I believe that I didn't ignore that part - I agreed with this:
    As noted before, they DID consider selling it there, along with all other internationals. If JohnH is correct (he usually is) they are still considering selling that particular channel there, as he actually sees it in the EPG. That's a good sign.

Thanks JohnH for the update/correction and for an explaination of WHY internationals at 121º are a problem. (My solution would be to mirror those channels on 105º or move them to the wings, as space permits.)

JL

18. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    BTW: Surya TV is now listed on the DISH site as available for $14.99 a month(SuperDISH required). Other new ones are there as well. Check under International Ala Carte programming.

Apparently they are not ready to roll out the SuperDISH nationwide as you have to put in your Zipcode to see if the channel is available in your area.

19. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Ok -- well -- so, in the end, Surya TV actually IS on 121 and DOES require a SuperDish? Therefore, the CSR was correct, right? Interesting... heh.

- John...

20. ajitkur1

ajitkur1 Guest

I could order Surya TV and Kairali TV ( another international channel; same language; not shown on lyngsat) from MI for a toatal of $24.99; Need super dish 121; multiple times postponed because of nonavailability of dish; next one scheduled for Jan 22nd.
    what do you guys think will happen if they are freezing internationals on 121 as somebody said? Do anybody has any objective info rather than guess work that they are going to freeze that. Do they need that much bandwidth for locals before their new satellite at 105 goes up;

did anybody in flint or lansing actually started receivein locals through 121. lookss from the site that nobody actually got superdish 121

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.