"Your DirecTV service will be unavailable soon"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gwikeenan, Oct 14, 2019.

1. gwikeenan

gwikeenan New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I've received two emails like this from AT&T in recent weeks, stating that "soon, you won't be able to view your DirecTV programming with some of your equipment." I have a Genie 2 as my main receiver, along with an old SD receiver (D12-100) in my workout/exercise room. When I called the 800 number listed on the email, the rep I spoke with said that he didn't see any problem on my account and that all my equipment should function just fine going forward.

Anyone else receive this kind of email from AT&T recently, and if so, what did they tell you when you called the 800 number?

2. liftedpsd2010

liftedpsd2010 New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    How do you have a genie 2 and an sd receiver? I thought you couldn’t have any receivers with the genie 2 except for the mini genies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Your not suppose to, no ...

Plus you can't have a Genie 2 (i.e., an HS17) as a main receiver since its a "headless" server that only feeds Mini and TV set integrated clients with no local AV outputs ...

And I can see the likely reason for the letter because of the MPEG-2 type D12 receiver in the exercise room. Since all MPEG-2 based SD programming is going away soon. Especially if the OP has SD locals on 119W.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

4. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I don't think you actually have a Genie 2. What is the model number of your Genie?

And the email is likely because of what @HoTat2 said.

5. gwikeenan

gwikeenan New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    It's connected to an old, round, single-LNB dish that came with the house (circa 1998). The coax runs directly from the dish to that receiver. The Genie is connected to a Slimline dish that was installed a few years ago when I upgraded to the Genie.

liftedpsd2010 likes this.
  6. gwikeenan

gwikeenan New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    It's an HR44-500. I thought I had seen that model referred to as a Genie 2, but I guess that's not accurate.

Regarding the MPEG-2 issue, that sounds like it certainly could be the problem. But I wonder why the D* rep I talked to didn't know about this. I asked him twice, very directly, if all my current equipment would continue to work as-is, and he said yes. Sounds like this might not be the case...?

7. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    The email you received - correct.

@HoTat2 - correct.

CSR you got on the phone - idiot (and incorrect).

Rich likes this.
  8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, sad but true ...

And most unfortunate, especially since AT&T tookover things ...

But nevertheless true ....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    So the D12 that you have that will soon be obsolete, can you hook that up to your HR44? If you order a replacement receiver, you might need to get DIRECTV to come out to wire that Exercise room unit to the HR44. Advantage will you'll be able to watch shows you've recorded on your HR44 in that room.

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Another alternative if re-wiring the exercise room isn't feasible would be to replace that D12 with a wireless client for the Genie. If there isn't too much distance between the HR44 and exercise room or too many walls or metal objects like fridges, that should work OK.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you must change D12 to H25/HR25 or mini/client: select wired or wireless if your distance allow get stable WiFi signal
    LNB/switch/splitter/cables will be installed by DTV tech

12. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    The HR44-500 is not a Genie 2. I have that device in conjunction with an HR24 DVR and whole Home DVR. The combination works very well and gives me 7 tuners to record with and play back in any room.

13. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    The HR34 was the original Genie and the HR44 has been referred to as a Genie Gen 2. But it is not a Genie 2.

NR4P likes this.
  14. gwikeenan

gwikeenan New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I called back in again today, using a different 800 number, and spoke to someone in the technical support department. She said that my D12 receiver would need to be upgraded/replaced with a wireless (or wired) mini Genie client. She said D* is retiring some old satellites and that all standard def programming is ending "sometime before 2020", so they're offering to upgrade all SD receivers and dishes for free. So, I made an appointment to have the new mini/client installed next week. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful feedback.

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  15. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Once again, they were not correct. They are retiring MPEG2 broadcasts. Most, if not all, MPEG2 broadcasts are SD but there are SD broadcasts that are MPEG4 now so it will not all end. There is certainly nothing keeping them from "upgrading" current MPEG2 SD to MPEG4 SD like for PI channels or SD channels with no HD counterpart. Sadly, standard definition is not going away. They are removing SD duplicate locals and probably eventually the SD duplicate national channels, but there are MPEG4-SD-only locals, too, that will not go away.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    And you got very miniscule replacement - the mini client :(
    Much better stand for INDEPENDENT IRD or DVR replacement !!! H25 or HR24

17. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    When AT&T took over they changed how the regular Genies are named when they are activated on an account. Here is the names a customer would see if their account is managed on directv.com under "My Equipment":
    • Genie Gen 1 refers to all HR34 series models. This is currently the only model of the Genie that is depreciated as legacy as it does not have the Modern GUI, Mobile DVR and requires the CCK-W to connect via wireless. My mother used to have this model in 2015 but in 2016 when she needed to have it replaced via ERP they sent her a HR44 "Gen 2" instead.
    • Genie Gen 2 refers to all HR44 series models. This is currently the oldest "current" Genie model and they would prefer you to be on this model at least if you don't want/need 4K.
    • Genie Gen 3 refers to all HR54 series models. Has the ability to connect to a 4K Genie Mini to receive 4K signals. It is preferred to have an HR54 and 1 4K Genie Mini for a 2-4 TV household with 1 4K TV
    • Genie 2 refers to all HS17 series models. The headless server where you have to have all minis and can't have any legacy equipment like an H25 or HR24. Preferred if you have 2 4K TVs or need more than 4 TVs with varying combination of Minis.

NR4P, AZ. and HoTat2 like this.
  18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    another point of confusing customers and us here :eek:

19. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    That was done well before ATT Took over

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Then you missed a lot of posts here when uneducated users posting the meaningless marketing names and have us wondered what the OP/TS talking about ?!
    Instead of giving clear DVR's model-mfg IDs