Your HD Plans? - Just for E* Subs Please

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by larrystotler, Nov 1, 2004.

What are your HD plans?

1. Already have HD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Already have HD - Thinking of more HD sets

103 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. Thinking about buying an HD soon

44 vote(s)
    27.2%
  4. Could care less about HD - Too Expensive/Too little content.

15 vote(s)
    9.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 1, 2004 #1 of 22
    larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Just curious to see what our members HD plans are so that I can compare them with the average sub.

2. Nov 2, 2004 #2 of 22
    BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Wow, 71% as of 11/2 have HD vs. 18% in the rest of the country......

3. Nov 2, 2004 #3 of 22
    tlbrewer

tlbrewer New Member

Oct 15, 2004
    Have an HD tv, yes. Get HD content from E*. No, had it and cancelled it. Bad receivers, too much money for too little content.

4. Nov 2, 2004 #4 of 22
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Need a 5th option - want it, can't afford right now.

5. Nov 2, 2004 #5 of 22
    AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    Need a 6th option - could NOT care less

6. Nov 2, 2004 #6 of 22
    Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Not sure how to answer the poll.

I have a 61" HD-ready TV, so I need an HD receiver--even for OTA. I've thought about getting the "free" 811, but currently have a 508 and 721, and I don't want to be DVR-less. I was ready to purchase a 921 in January but couldn't get one. Now I want to wait to see how the 942 performs. I'm figuring I'll be waiting until at least January, but the prospect of leasing isn't a problem for me, and it may be preferable in view of expected initial product bugs.

7. Nov 2, 2004 #7 of 22
    Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes, that is my response too.
    :)

8. Nov 2, 2004 #8 of 22
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Don't wet your panties, Bob. This is not a scientific survey. Those of us who have HD would tend to respond, while those who do not would not respond as readily.

The same goes for the "I couldn't care less" bunch.

This poll is like Gulfstream polling its' aircraft owners if they would rather fly across country in five hours, or drive the old family sedan across country in five days.

Anyway, I have a 53" Panny HD, Dish HD and VOOM. No HD OTA.

9. Nov 2, 2004 #9 of 22
    larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    No, actually, I am trying to get a feel for how my % of HD installs will go up, especially if they launch more HD on the 105. Right now, I install for a company that sells all HD sets, and I still install more SD only receivers than HD + SD. Actually, I am suprised by how many SD receivers I hook up to HD sets actually..

10. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    My local wally world remodeled early this year, took down the 6000u they had (showing sd as it had orange light on) I tried to buy it but they claimed they would eventually hook it up, last time I saw it access card was gone and front panel was demolished. Last week they put up a hdtv setup with flat panels and 1 plasma.. (about 10 hd sets in all) but lo and behold still showing the standard Wal-mart tv stuff. How can you sell Hd sets, if the public does not get to see HD? btw the 6000 has been missing for a couple of months at least....

11. Grasschopper

Grasschopper Legend

Jun 21, 2004
    I voted that I have it but I feel a little foolish for spending the $10 a month on it...but hey I spent $3500 on the TV so I might as well use it right?

I have the 811 and I get lock ups while watching HD content, simple channel change gets rid of it but come on. PQ seems great but I have no real reference. Content is VERY weak IMO. Sure I love watching ESPN football on Sunday nights in HD when it is a good game and occasionally there is a show I want to watch on TNT but the movies are fairly old on the movie channel and most look to be uprezed so is that real HD content? I don't have HBO or Showtime so maybe I am not getting the most out of it.

12. Dude

Dude Guest

I have HD and the only reason I do is because they sent me the 811 for 24.95 so I figured what the hell, since I spent 5000 on the tv, stand and other items. I don't think there is that much content that I find interesting to justify the 9.99 a month, however I did hook up to the existing antenna in my attic and got all the channels I am supposed to OTA so that was kinda cool! Ya sure can tell the difference when switching between the feed I get on dish verses the OTA signal so I thought I would drop the Dish locals and save 4.99 a month to help offset the HD package but I see they don't charge for locals anymore.

13. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Actually, they do still charge for locals. You would save $5 per month by dropping your locals channels. Keep in mind that DHA custs are required to have the locals, and pay for them wether they receiver them or not. All current locals on sat a re a digital retransmission of the stations current analog broadcast.

14. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Our Wal-Mart has had the hdtv setup since June or July. All the TV's in the setup except for the LCD's are fed via component input from distribution amps getting their signal from a set top box (Scientific Atlanta or Samsung?) The program content alternates between HD and SD. PQ suffers from the brightly lit environment, but the HD does look good, especially on the plasma. Our local Circuit City also suffers somewhat from a too brighly lit showroom, exxcept where they have bigger screen projection receivers.

15. dont24

dont24 Guest

I just purchased my first HDTV. Hitachi 57F510. I currently have AE and will be receiving the 811 ( lease plan - 24.95 S&H ) shortly. I plan on trying an indoor antenna for HD OTA. I too hate giving up my DVR on my main TV. I thought about the 921, but $899 is a bit much. Maybe when the new one is released, I'll return the 811 and make the purchase.

16. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    they have the amps, but there is no local Hd ota... maybe if they have any sense they will get D* or E* stb...

17. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Saving up to switch from a Dishplayer to an HD TiVo setup.

18. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Not likely to happen. Wal-Mart originally used an HD loop from E* with footage from Discovery HD, etc. It was visually stunning provided the feed was good. In our local Wal-Mart, the picture on several receivers was contaminated with bands of magenta and blue -- hardly a good selling point. Most retailers shy away from using either OTA or regular satellite or cable broadcasts due to copyright problems. They choose instead to use canned program content provided by a DVR or computer. Interestingly, the thing that stops traffic more than any other is "Finding Nemo" in widescreen. Even though it's not HD, it looks great on an HD receiver.

19. Rick_R

Rick_R Legend

Sep 1, 2004
    Simi Valley, CA
    I have a Dish 6000 and have been a Dish HD subscriber for over 4 years. I also have a D VHS (Mitsubishi 1100) and OTA STB with firewire (MIT MDR-200) to record HD OTA. I really want the ability to record HBO, SHO, HDNet, etc. so I need a satellite STB with firewire. As much as I really like Dish I would go to cable again if they offered a DECENT cable STB with firewire.

Rick R

20. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    Since the actual percentage of people in the country that have HD is about 10%, and I imagine amongst the entire population of Dish Network subscribers it is just slightly higher, this would explain why a lot of this forum think their demands for HD are falling on deaf ears.

The reality is that the minority of the people, of any service (except Voom) could care less about HD at this point. It's too expensive, and most people would rather see the bandwidth used for channels they can access.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.