1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your HR34 preferred client

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Davenlr, Jan 8, 2012.

If you get an HR34 - What Client would you want?

1. RVU client at $6 per month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. H25 client at $6 per month

18.3%
  3. DVR client at $6 per month

26.8%
  4. No preference

71.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jan 8, 2012 #1 of 44
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    With the upcoming release of RVU clients on the horizon, I wanted to see how many people were interested. Assuming you have or receive an HR34, would you prefer your extra rooms to have an RVU client which takes a tuner away from the HR34, or an H25 with its own tuner, or a DVR which adds two more tuners.

If you want a mixed system (say 1 RVU tv, and a couple H25's, choose both)

All currently cost the same per room per month.

2. Jan 8, 2012 #2 of 44
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    At this point in time, the DVR. a few months from now, RVU probably.

3. Jan 8, 2012 #3 of 44
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    There seems to be pluses and minuses to both.

RVU gives you trick play features for live TV but you have to share one of the 34's tuners, you could run into conflicts there. The H25 gives you it's own tuner, but you lose the trick play features.

It would be neat if they could come up with a way where you could chose between sharing a tuner with trick play or using its own tuner. Of course only us on here would know how to do that. ;)

4. Jan 8, 2012 #4 of 44
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    RVU is smoke and mirrors at this point for me. I'm not going to go out and replace my hdtvs just to get an RVU client capable tv....

5. Jan 8, 2012 #5 of 44
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I chose the H25, as I am well fixed for DVRs, esp with the hypothetical HR34, and I love the compactness of the unit, and no noise from HDDs.

Yeah, and if the 25 could be either strictly a client of the RVU or its own receiver, that'd be truly awesome. - er, by our toggle, not a permanent set!

6. Jan 8, 2012 #6 of 44
    CliffV

CliffV Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    I am going to repurpose one of my existing HR20s as my client. I'll set it to one tuner to avoid going over the 8 tuner limit.

Here's my (proposed) configuration:

HR35 - in Family Room (5 tuners) - Recording shared shows for my wife and I
    HR24 - in Family Room (2 tuners) - Recording my wife's shows only
    HR20 - in exercise room (1 tuner) - Recording shows on SyFy channel only

7. Jan 8, 2012 #7 of 44
    alexginga

alexginga Mentor

Dec 25, 2003
    I really like my H25, so in my ideal configuration - I would use 2 H25s for both live TV viewing and occasional watching of pre-recorded shows on the HR35.

I am also a big fan of Samsung LED TVs - I got a C8000 Series TV. I would like to eventually upgrade two TVs to RVU compatible LED models.

To summarize - 5 TVs in the house would look as follows:

1 HR35 Server
    2 RVU Clients
    2 H25 Clients/Standalone Receivers

8. Jan 8, 2012 #8 of 44
    dogbreath

dogbreath AllStar

Apr 26, 2006
    Franklin,...
    An H25 is a lot cheaper than a new TV.

9. Jan 8, 2012 #9 of 44
    alexginga

alexginga Mentor

Dec 25, 2003
    I like your sense of humor. In the ideal world - money is not an object here. We are talking IDEAL DirecTV setup.. :)

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The ideal would also involve us being able to access the todo lists and series manager from another box, computer, phone or tablet. At least some of those,might now we've got none.

11. bigtom

bigtom Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    Is this something that can be done from the RVU client?

12. LoweBoy

LoweBoy Legend

Sep 15, 2006
    I voted DVR. DVR gives you the whole enchilada. I have become so spoiled with DVR.

The RVU won't be appealing to me until it becomes wireless and/or a client box instead of specific TV models.

I miss the DVR functions on the H25. H25 is nice being compact and all but I have a little beef with this unit. The extra rf kit adds an extra $30 to the purchase and the brick and rf add to the real estate the unit needs. By the time you add these the H24 has it is really at a wash IMO. I am going to try to hang it off the back of one of my TVs, I think that is where it will be handy. I wanted for tailgate type events and used my DVR in the past was concerned I would crash a hard drive.

Sorry for my rant. :grin:

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    If such a box existed, I'd vote for an H25 with enough extra memory for a 30-minute buffer and a Smart Search database.

In reality, I voted for a DVR. This allows the HR34's tuners to record up to 5 simultaneous shows, if need be, and provides me with a LIVE BUFFER and SMART SEARCH on the client.

If there was an HR34 successor with 8 tuners, I might vote for 3-4 RVU boxes instead.

14. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I voted DVR/H25, as I'd prefer that the client user not steal a tuner from the HR34. But that's exactly opposite of how and why DIRECTV designed the HR34 to work with the thinnest possible client (an RVU device) so it will be curious if my choice ends up being the norm or the exception with the DBSTalk voters...

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Oh, I didn't get that. In which case, I'd get all new Sammys plus the H25 for each one hooked up so I could switch inputs readily from RVU to H25 playing straight up or DVRing off the one of the 6 34's or eighteen other HR24's. I didn't see such an option in the poll.....

:D

Seriously, Alex, have you x-ed out plasmas altogether?

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    This is exactly my reason for the poll. Im feeling that by charging $6 for RVU *and* swiping a tuner, no one is going to want to go that route. We will see.

17. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    No way they're not gonna charge for extra viewing locations, IMHO. That said, what wouldn't surprise me is the ability some day to buy "simultaneous" RVU licenses. So if you had 5 RVU-capable displays, e.g., but you know you'd never watch more than 2 of them at a time, you might only need to pay whatever the charge is for 2 seats.

18. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I've said this before, I'll say it again:

My plan is to have one (1) HR34, and two (2) HR24-100s.
    My wish would be to have two (2) HR34s, and one (1) HR24-100.
    If money was less of an issue, I'd have three (3) HR34s, and one C30.

Of course, if I were to use alexginga's reasoning (money being no object), I'd have three (3) HR34s hooked up to three (3) Samsung RVU HDTV's, with an additional Samsung RVU HDTV connected to one of the HR34s.

Of course, if I were to take alexginga's reasoning further, if money weren't an object, I'd be living in a different place, and my TV viewing needs would be completely different... as would the needs of my hypothetical wife I would have thanks to the fact that money is no object to me. :D :p :D

I really like the last hypothetical scenario the best! :D

~Alan

19. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    I choose DVR and H25 since I already have those. None of our TVs are older than 3 years so I don't see replacing any for a while. Too much $$$. If I needed an extra client location, I wouldn't mind trying the C30, especially if it was a lesser used TV. I'm sure we could spare at least one tuner. :D

20. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Don't' a few people already have RVU (Samsung TV) clients for free (no monthly fee)? If not, wouldn't anyone be out of his mind to pay the same for an RVU client as a DVR?