Your Suggestion from Overdue Upgrade (the 20s)?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by APB101, Aug 17, 2017.

1. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    Hello!

I have five TVs.

One of those TVs is 4K.

I have three regular HDs and two HD DVRs.

I am considering upgrading. I do not have the protection plan.

I ask for suggestions.

Here are screen shots, taken from my AT&T's DirecTV account, without revealing personal information, to show what I currently have. (I'm really behind the times.)

Thank you!

fullsizeoutput_899.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_89b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_89c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_89d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_89e.jpeg

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    One of your HD DVRs needs to be replaced with either a HS17 Genie 2 or a HR54 Genie. If your 4K HDTV is 4K DIRECTV Ready you can use it as a client. If it isn't you'll need a C61K-700 client in order to get 4K service. If you go with a HS17 Genie 2 your other equipment will most likely be replaced with clients. If you go with a HR54 Genie you'll be able to keep your other HD DVR and upgrade your receivers.

APB101 likes this.
  3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    I would replace the HR21 with a HR54 and the H21 with a mini client c61k. Keep the rest of the receivers like they are. You would gain 4k service thru the client and add several more tuners to the system.

If you are going to have 2 TVs that are 4k and they would both be running at the same time, then the HS17 is the only receiver that will do that. As mentioned already, you have to change all other units to clients. This setup would effectively reduce the number of tuners you have now.

APB101 likes this.
  4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Are you using the Hr20 for OTA? if so the HS17 Does NOT support that! as suggested Get a HR54 & Keep your HDVR's -that way you won't lose any stored recording (if you need that) Keep the H24 -replace the H21 with a C61K mini -for 4k Service.

APB101 likes this.
  5. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks to everyone, so far to this point, who responded with suggestions.

I am embarrassed that it has been so long.

To answer a question you asked, WestDC: I am not using any receiver for OTA. I am in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan. So, I get my locals and affiliates from Detroit, Michigan. (I’m a half-hour or less outside Detroit.)

I will also say this: I lost a lot of recordings, from one HD DVR, due to resetting. And I am figuring what saved recordings I do have…they are not important enough. (If suggested, I’m willing to start fresh.)

Thanks, again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WestDC likes this.
  6. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    One thing that is often left out about upgrading to a New HS17 other than it has no HDMI port so it does not directly connect to any TV is that you can only use Mini's or a TV with RVU - Should you Lose the HS17 (any Failure) you will NOT have any Service at all - With any receiver with a tuner would NOT be affected.

That to me is one big draw back to going at this time to a HS17 - Maybe if more 4K content becomes the rule -As HD content is today - But that is 2-5 yrs out yet at least

APB101 likes this.
  7. PhilS

PhilS AllStar

Sep 23, 2007
    Denton, TX
    We lose the satellite signal occasionally during a thunder storm, but have had no problems with DirecTV equipment in years. We have an antenna in the attic, to pick up OTA signals if need be. We also have fast internet service to watch Netflix or Amazon Prime while we wait for repair from DirecTV. For me, the HS17 single point-of-failure issue would not be a show-stopper.

harperhometheater likes this.
  8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Directv also has plenty of on demand access, so other than missing something you really wanted to see live like sports, I don't think the 'single point of failure' is too big of an argument. I've got a Tivo Premiere as my 'single point of failure' and have never had a problem with it. Now Mediacom service outages on the other hand... :mad::mad::mad:

Anyone know if the HS17 will continue functioning for live TV if the hard drive dies? The only things in Directv equipment that are all that likely to fail are the hard drive, the power supply, and the HDMI port. You can pick up a spare power supply if you're worried about that, and it has no HDMI port...

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    This is a guess.
    I believe that the method of all the DVRs including the HS17 is that they record everything before they put it to the screen. If not, how is there a long buffer of a live program.
    If I am correct, the hard drive dies and the whole system stops.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Someone said it continues working even if the hard drive isn’t there in the hs17. I see no reason to doubt it. And the genies definitely work without their hard drives. They route the picture to the hard drive for recording as well as direct to the tv...

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I personally would go to the hs17 and five clients, with as many 4K clients as you have tvs, if not all 4K clients if they will give them all to you for free...

That setup will provide you more recording space, the same series manager list on every device, and far more versatility than your current system.

APB101 likes this.
  12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Well now that is very interesting. Thanks

13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There's no reason they couldn't send the data to the client and to the hard drive simultaneously, so that it would keep working without a hard drive. In fact I'd say it is almost 100% certain it will work without a hard drive if the only thing on the hard drive is programming. If there some other stuff required for it to function on the hard drive (instead of all saved to the onboard flash) then the hard drive would be necessary for operation. Unless it will fail the self test if the hard drive is bad, even if otherwise it would work without it.