Your TV May Be Spying On You.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by SayWhat?, Jul 26, 2015.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://fortune.com/2015/07/26/vizio-ipo/

2. rk911

rk911 New Member

May 20, 2015
    Chicago suburbs
    interesting. but more for what wasn't said. unless I missed it exactly how does Vizio retrieve the information?

3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Samsung TVs do the same thing, probably all "smart" TVs with the ability to connect to the internet do this. It works the same way the Shazam app on your phone works, by monitoring the audio and video being played through the TV and sending back "fingerprint" information on it to home base, which matches it against data on thousands of movies and TV shows.

Only way to prevent it is to disable your TV from being able to connect to the internet in any way, or not buying a smart TV.

4. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    It's like Max Headroom coming true. What next, blipverts?

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    And yet they can't figure out when a program starts or ends.

2 people like this.
  6. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Skynet

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    But you can always fool the marketers by tuning to shows you'd never watch, thus skewing their data...... :blackeye:

1 person likes this.
  8. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    That sucks! I have both Vizio and Samsung Smart TV's, which connect wirelessly to the Internet.. To sever these connections would be burdensome to my non-tech oriented family. They already have enough problems understanding the controls of the Sammy.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Have they read the manuals? Another waste of paper, at least for the Sammys. I printed out the whole 172 page manual for my new 4K set and read it and don't know any more than I did before I read it. The manual that came with mine is just about worthless. The manual I printed out is worth 172 pages of paper.

Rich

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I read the manual and didn't understand it, so I read it in Spanish
    and then read it in French. I still don't understand how to operate
    my new Cuisinart automatic hot dog, taco & crepes maker. :shrug:

11. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Exactly. I downloaded the pdf for the E-manual for our 60" 3D Sammy but didn't print it. Of course, you can look at it on the TV, but need a master's degree to figure how to select items for display and keep them onscreen. Fortunately, with the pushbutton remote I bought for the TV, they can select devices, Netflix, etc without too much trouble. Beyond that, it becomes a problem. Forget about them trying to master the touchscreen remote that came with the TV.

1 person likes this.
  12. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My 2013 Samsung UN46F5500 46-Inch 1080p 60Hz Slim Smart LED HDTV is offline when it's turned off according to my network monitoring software. But it isn't one of new fancier ones with the Voice Recognition feature and the Facial Recognition.feature and the Gesture Control feature. I can't talk to it or the remote. It's in our bedroom overlooking our bed, so I don't ever plan to upgrade it to one of those that has all those features. But it still gathers viewing history data just like virtually every cable and satellite TV company and all all internet streaming services and the federal government and.... If you gather up all the data collected on me and print it in my obituary you would be printing a very large, unintelligible meaningless book.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The manuals keep getting worse, the instructions on how to install things are sometimes incomprehensible and in several languages. Yesterday, my son was waiting outside when we got home and told me he broke the front door. It's been that kind of year, so it didn't really surprise me, but he was talking about the deadbolt set. After I got done explaining the difference between a door and a lockset, he handed me a pile of tiny springs that had come out of the deadbolt's key cylinder. Don't know why he thought I could somehow reassemble the lockset. Anyhow, today I go up to a Home Depot and buy a new lockset and get home and the instructions were so complicated I couldn't believe it. It was just a lockset, they didn't have to write a novella about how to install it. I muddled thru that and then pulled the lockset out of the box and found both sides needed keys. I wanted a key on the outside and a handle on the inside and told the friendly HD guy that. The way the box was packed, I had no idea both sides were keyed and there was nothing on the box to tell me that. Got the right one, had it installed in five minutes, never read the instructions. It's been that kind of year for us.

Rich

14. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Manuals? We don't need no stinkin' manuals! :D

2 people like this.
  15. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    I have a smart tv in my bedroom, but I never hooked up to our network.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it has secret wifi and blutooh module inside and its FW capable silently connect to Internet and send video and audio to dedicated servers
    Remember when next time you'll pose or say something at front of your tv what you don't want to share.