Your worst DOH moment!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Manctech, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I'll start with what happened today. 5 room HD install in an apartment. Cable company refused to open the cable box. Had to flat cable everything. Mounted the dish on a pole behind the apartment. Get everything in and was checking signals....

101 - 100%
    99 - 95%
    103 - 95%
    110 - 100%
    119 - 0%

Uh oh. So I start testing things messing with things, changed LNB's did this did that, then it dawned on me... This pole may just be a HAIR too close to the building.

Loosened the dish and raised it on the pole so only the lower of the 3 bolts was on.. Go back inside and check signals...

60% on the 119 -

DOH! Too close to the building by about a foot. Had to relocate the pole. (In very hard dry earth!!!!)

Time to get another Suunto to replace my broken one. The piece of crap flip mirror ones just DON'T CUT IT!

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I'm just wondering... Could you have used a SL3 instead of an SL5 because its an all HD install? HD locals come off the 99 and 103 birds. Correct me if I'm wrong as I have no dish installation experience.

Kevin

3. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Spanish programming ;)

4. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Oh, very true. Good call. I have a SL3 and i completely forgot about that. There is also some SonicTap channels on 119. I just Googled it.

Kevin

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I don't remember the details of my painful lesson, but I *do* remember the lesson well enough that I won't dig a pole mount without first putting the dish on a tripod at the intended location and getting signal. I prefer to "waste" 10 minutes than dig a pole twice.

6. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    got 2....

1. put b-band converters on a hr23 service swap... actually left them on from the hr20 i took out and spent the next 2 hours chasing my tail around before i noticed on the 3rd dvr coming out of my truck that for the first time in like 6 months we had hr23's in the warehouse. total time spent 2 hours 20 mins.... changed lnb twice, IRD twice, 6x8 switch, new cable from the dish to the Gb to the 6x8, peaked the dish at least three times.....

2. spent 2 days, and about 9 hours total with 2 techs on a house that was dropping the top half of the 99/103 x-ponders. they would start out in the 80's and slowly bleed out to -0-.

changed the lnb, 6x8, ground block, dish cable drop to the gb, b-bands, ird's, every fitting i could get my hands on. finally we decided to pull the wires from the gb through 2 attics to the 2nd story main attic where the distro spot was.....

found an old narrow band 6x8 in the 2nd of three attics with a 4 in and 4 out configuration.

4 barrels later and we were on our way home.

7. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Does the day I decided to do this "temporarily" until something better came along count?