1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You're kidding right?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kbxm, Aug 18, 2008.

1. kbxm

kbxm AllStar

Mar 15, 2007
    That's the phrase I used probably 2 dozen times tonight while trying to get my busted HR20-100 replaced.

<RANT>

Here's the deal: My -100 has a fan that's failing. It's living on an old noisy computer fan right now since I can't replace it myself since it's a leased unit.

I called last Friday and while the CSR I talked to was either new or clueless as I was told that:

a) I'd get a replacement for free since I have the service plan
    b) They'd ship it with a return kit so I can send the old one back at no cost (per the service agreement) and
    c) They could certainly send a black one to replace my currently black unit along with an AM21 since I won't have OTA capability with my new one.

I get home today and find the replacement unit sitting on my doorstep and take it in. Cool that was fast...

I open the box to a refurb HR20-700, silver, no AM21 and nothing else in the box (no remote, no cords (power not included either), no nothing) except a note saying I'll get billed $470 for my old unit if I don't send my old unit back.

So of course I called DTV asking:

a) What happened to the black unit I was supposed to get?
    b) Where's the return shipping material that was supposed to come?
    c) What's the status of my AM21?
    d) Where are the cords etc and am I going to get charged if they don't send them?

After my first call with a very rude CSR I was told that I basically get what I get and if I don't send the old unit back, I'll be charged $470. I got hung up on after asking to talk to a supervisor.

4 CSRs and two supervisors later, all of whom told me that even though I'd paid for the service plan I basically have to go to Best Buy for a new one and send the busted unit back on *my* dime, I finally got a CSR that could help me when I called back and went directly to cancellations.

So two hours on the phone later I have (hopefully) a new HR21 coming my way and a free AM21 to follow once it arrives.

The thing that bugs me about the whole thing is pretty simple:

Could no one simply say "you get whatever's next at the warehouse" instead of promising me something they couldn't deliver??

More importantly if you're only option for replacement is going to Best Buy, then getting a "credit" for less than you paid for the lease at BB, why do they even offer a service plan that's supposed to cover everything?

And finally how's it supposed to work without so much as a power cord??!?!?!??

I've been with D* since it was USSB and have never been so close to cancelling my service than I was tonight.

Aside from the one, all of the CSRs were just plain rude and had no clue what to do. The supervisors were the same. It shouldn't take going to the cancellation people to get someone to give you decent service.

If I owned the unit it'd be fixed by now, but I don't so I have no choice except to send it back to them. The least they could do is honor their commitment (and the plan that I'm paying for) and take their own equipment back.

They sent me to a supervisor for a follow up since the last CSR noticed all of the calls from this evening. I explained very nicely that if they mess up this order I'm cancelling and going with cable or Dish Network. This guy understood and comp'd me for a month's programming as well. There're still a few good ones lurking out there but it shouldn't be so hard to find them.

</RANT>

2. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    That was terrible service and I hope that never hapens to me. Glad to hear you have an HR21 & AM21 on the way. Just an FYI, the HR20 has the OTA tuner built in, so you don't need the AM21.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Why did you want an AM21 with the HR20?

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Replacement with a refurbished unit is standard practice. You are supposed to use your existing cables and remote. There should have been a prepaid shipping label for you to use the same box to ship back the old one.

If you had a black HR20-100, you were one of the very few--most were silver. The HR21 is glossy, not flat black.

OTOH, most of the CSRs you spoke to sure need an attitude adjustment. That's no way to treat customers.

5. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    Sorry for your troubles but just know there is no way for the to guarantee you what unit you will get much less the color.

6. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    Recently, I had an HR20-700 go bad I asked for an HR-20 replacement, I got an HR-21. I called Directv back and explained my OTA situation, they were very understanding and resolved the problem to my satisfaction in short order.

I was very happy with the way it was handled.

7. or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    There should be a return shipping label on the outside of the box it usually is under the label that they used to ship the box to you.

sorry about the CSR's

8. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    He didn't say that... He asked for the black one, along with the saying HR21 (probably) so that he would make sure he would get the latest IRD (obviously not the HR22). And as you know the HR21 needs the AM21 for OTA. At least that is how I read his post.

As we all know CSR most likely don't know what IRD is what.

Hope you get your right receiver, good luck and keep us informed.

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    But he did:

Even after receiving the HR20, he still wanted to know the status of his AM21. Once an HR20 showed up, he'd have no need to ask for it (unless they had already agreed to replace the HR20)

10. Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    I have never seen a black HR20-100....

11. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    There were a limited number produced... they're a rare bird now.

12. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Ok, so this all boils down to 2 things?:
    1) silver
    2) refurb

Or am missing something? You got OTA built in, you got a replacement, hopefully it works.

I suppose I can see being mildly frustrated that it is silver instead of black. And while refurbs are part and parcel of the cable industry, it might be disappointing. But I guess I don't see getting too upset over it.

Maybe I'm just tired and mellow from another granddaughter wedding tonight. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

13. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Best Wishes to your granddaughter and her new husband :sunsmile: The last time I ordered from D* they forgot to put the return shipping label with the new unit. We told them what had happen and D* actually sent us a new box to return the replaced unit. Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to send the return shipping label to us :confused: :lol:

14. DFWHD

DFWHD AllStar

Feb 9, 2008
    My HR20-700 fan died last month and I'm on the protection plan. I knew it was the fan causing it to overheat, but when I called D*, I played dumb and said the box was making noise and the locking up a lot. They scheduled a service call and the tech took care of the swap out to a new HR21-100 (the tech said they don't carry refurb units on their trucks here in North Texas - not sure how true that is elsewhere). I think it is easier to play dumb with D* tech support and let them send out a tech on these issues, otherwise you end up with a situation like the OP.

15. hoboken

hoboken Cool Member

Jan 20, 2007
    gosh I sure feel for "you're kidding right", I really feel fortunate for my experience, I switched from dish 2 years ago & installation went great, and the dish has never needed any tweaking, I called Friday because I have purchased another hdtv, csr could not have been nicer or more professional, drop shipped me a hr21, volunteered to give me 3 mo's showtime and starz, and 3 mo's of the extra hd channels at zero cost, I have received, installed and enjoying my new "toys" (as my wife calls them), hope others are as fortunate, thanks Crystal, - lou

16. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    I always make sure I get the CSR's name when I call. They hang up on me, I'm making a call or emailing Ellen or whatever her name is. That CSR needs to be replaced!

17. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Just be sure you save your FedEx shipping receipt. D* tried to charge me $1000 for an 'unreturned' HR10-250 a few years back. Their returns unit apparently is poorly managed from a technology standpoint.

18. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    I must call at the right times. I always get a nice CSR. Granted, some are following the script more than others but they're still nice.

19. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I think it would be better if you had the PP and your equipment died if you contacted D* and the sent you a voucher and you take the defective equipment and the voucher to a reatailer.

20. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Interesting thought but how would the retailer handle the return?