1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YouTube on D*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by donbean, Feb 21, 2011.

1. donbean

donbean AllStar

Mar 13, 2010
    love this new feature... really nice to me .. thanks D*

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Your Welcome

3. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    I checked the other day and I still don't have it on my HR24. I'm sure it's coming though but I probably won't ever use it anyway. It's good that you enjoy it though.

4. radiomandc

radiomandc Legend

Jul 22, 2009
    Has anyone had a problem lately playing videos from YouTube? When I try to play a video, it will give me the please wait bar for about a minute. Then it will proceed to tell me that there is a problem with the internet connection. I then run the system check and the network checks out fine. I then restarted the receiver and am stil having the same problem. I am able to get the list of videos to choose from.Just not able to play any of them. Pandora works fine. My receiver is an HR33-700

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Youtube made some type of change a few days ago and the DirecTV receivers aren't handling it properly. DirecTV is working on a fix. an update came out that they are going to resolve the problem but the time frame given is about 2 to 3 weeks for the fix to be finished then downloaded via a software upgrade

6. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I have never had a "global" problem watching YouTube from either my HR21-100 or any of my three Panasonic Viera televisions that can show YouTube; however, I do encounter problems with some individual videos. I think the problem is either with the YouTube server or with the way in which some videos were uploaded to YouTube. Most videos work fine, but a few pause frequently or just fail to load.

I have tried multiple times to watch one particular video, and it always plays for a few seconds then pauses for several seconds. The farther it goes, the longer the pauses become. Since most other videos work fine, I believe the problem is with that particular video.

7. radiomandc

radiomandc Legend

Jul 22, 2009
    Thanks

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yep, same problem here with my HR34 and sister's HR24. Got an HR21 thats still working fine with YouTube. Haven't checked the status of my brother's R22 and HR22, but I suspect they are fine as well.

Seems the HR34 and 24s are the ones mainly having the problem if not solely.

9. revm1m

revm1m AllStar

Jul 2, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Since I got my HR34 about 2 months ago. When I asked, back then, I was told by someone here to wait a while. I think 2 months is a while! Does anyone know why I can't get them on my HR34???

10. onebadmofo

onebadmofo AllStar

May 24, 2012
    Works on all my receivers. TBH, it's much easier and better quality on your iPad or computer. I usually have my iPad within reach of me in mancave...so I did test it out on DTV, and it works fine, but manually typing with the DTV remote kills it for me...but it's nice they added that and Pandora which does work great as well.

11. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    If you use the "checkerboard" to type anything, I agree it's a pain. That's where you use left/right and up/down arrows to find the letters.

Do you use "triple-tap" which is a whole lot better? It's more like texting on a phone.

12. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    While manually typing with the DTV remote is bad, it is better than trying to find something on YouTube with the Panasonic Viera. At least, DTV remembers your previous searches, which the Viera does not.

13. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    YouTube is working properly on 0x5cd/0x45cd which is currently be rolled out now. It will probably be a few weeks before the roll-out is complete.

14. hazard

hazard Cool Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Until I can watch videos in higher quality (IE: 720p and 1080p), the feature is pretty much worthless to me.

15. onebadmofo

onebadmofo AllStar

May 24, 2012
    Thanks for the tip I had no idea you could use the keypad in that manner! :)

16. mark40511

mark40511 Legend

Jul 18, 2008
    Lexington KY
    I'm just now getting the 05CD update as I type this. I wasn't sure what the update was for which is what brought me to this site. My (2) HR 21's are whole home and neither receiver is internet connected.

I like the fact that D* lets you watch Youtube video's but I use my Panasonic Bluray player for that. The app let's you log into your account, and watch favorites and playlists you create and you can set it to auto play so it will move to the next video automatically. I know some Youtube apps limit your playlists but the particular Panasonic app doesn't.

17. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    Am i missing something? My TV and Computer are connected and i can watch HD on YouTube (or anything else) including surround sound on my 55" HIDEF. Is this for people who don't have Internet or don't have a Computer hooked up to their TV? Or is this something different altogether?

18. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It is no different at all, just another client for YouTube. Some of the design people at D* seem to think that "one stop shopping" for video and audio content is some sort of competitive advantage.

There are those of us who do not agree with this approach, but with that and a buck, you can get a cop of coffee.:)

19. polychromeuganda

polychromeuganda New Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Yes, if you are using an HTPC then that would probably be your preferred way to access YouTube. No, it isn't for people who don't have Internet, it requires Internet access. YouTube has very little HD or surround sound content. You're probably thinking of some other web hosted content. I hadn't heard "hidef" used that way, is it a brand name? In these forums people casually mention the 32 foot LED jumbo-tron in their weekend place, and I'm no good with names when I'm having that daydream.