YouTube TV adds Viacom networks

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by garn9173, May 7, 2020.

1. May 7, 2020 #1 of 14
    garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
  2. May 7, 2020 #2 of 14
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Under an expanded, multiyear pact between Google and ViacomCBS, YouTube TV will add 14 cable networks from the legacy Viacom — which have been missing from YouTube TV ever since it launched three years ago. The deal also provides for continued carriage of CBS broadcast stations, CBS Sports Network, Pop TV, Smithsonian Channel, and The CW on YouTube TV’s live TV and on-demand subscription service.

The deal also includes a continued commitment to distribute ViacomCBS’ premium subscription services, including Showtime, on YouTube TV, as well as an extended partnership to distribute the media company’s content on the broader YouTube platforms. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

YouTube TV, priced at $49.99 per month, is slated to add the new ViacomCBS cable nets to its lineup this summer. The networks are: BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land, VH1, BET Her, MTV2, Nick Jr., NickToons, TeenNick and MTV Classic.

3. May 7, 2020 #3 of 14
    CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    They should also add the History Channel.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  4. May 7, 2020 #4 of 14
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And another $10 to the base price of their service? Unless their tier the channels consider every channel addition (including the Viacom channels) to be an expected price increase.

5. May 7, 2020 #5 of 14
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Assuming a $10 price increase would still make it a very competitive price. That would make it $60/month. Hulu+live usually ends up costing more than that after you pay a more to get enough DVR space and the ability to skip ads on recordings. ATT TV Now is $80/month for the only level that makes any sense at all. And ATT TV is $57/month at the lowest level if you cancel at the end of the 1st year.

IOW, around the $50-$60 price point you are at the high end of the streaming services offered currently.

6. May 8, 2020 #6 of 14
    grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    YouTube TV And ViacomCBS Expand Carriage Deal, Adding 14 Networks – Deadline

It appears that as the Viacom channels are added, only a few will become part of the base tier where others will be part of a premium offering. Most likely to help keep any planned cost increases to the current base package, if any, to a minimum.

"The agreement will keep CBS broadcast stations, CBS Sports Network, Pop TV, Smithsonian Channel and The CW on the bundle and also add BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land and VH1 in the summer. At a later point, another batch of networks joining a premium tier will include ET Her, MTV2, Nick Jr., NickToons, TeenNick and MTV Classic.

Premium subscription services, including Showtime’s streaming service, will also be offered through YouTube TV under the deal as well as broader promotions across other parts of YouTube."

7. May 8, 2020 #7 of 14
    1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Philo was the 'add on' service that I've always considered with youtubetv, as it includes the discovery channels (and of course viacom) that yttvwas missing; but I've been holding out for discovery rolling out their streaming service (supposedly ~$7/month maybe). Hopefully if they charge for all these 'junk' (my opinion) viacom channels they will make if an 'addon' and not force everyone to pay up for channels they don't want.

Fyi, the History channel is an outlier, being owned only partially by Discovery networks. So its carridge fees are higher than most.

8. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I'd think common sense would say an increase is likely. Whether it's $5 or $10 per month, but it's still competitive in comparison to everything else in the landscape.

No contract, no DVR fees, no HD fees, no receiver fees...I'm good at $55-$60.

9. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    History is owned by A+E Television Networks which is a 50/50 joint venture between Disney & Hearst. This is the current structure of Disney's cable channels:
    • Disney group: ESPN channels (also a joint venture w/Hearst. Disney owns 80%.) Channels typically bundles with the ESPN group include ABC O&Os, the 3 Disney channels and Freeform.
    • A+E Television group (Disney 50%, Hearst 50%): A&E, History, Vice, FYI, Military History, History en Espanol, Lifetime, Lifetime Movies, Lifetime Real Women. <-- This group negotiates carriage deals independently of Disney's other channels. This is why they are available on fuboTV and Orby TV while the rest are not. Also why they are not currently on YouTube TV but all other channels from the Disney & FX Networks groups are.

10. rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Noticed that Logo wasn't included in the YouTube/Viacom deal. Channel airs some classic TV shows, but many already covered on Antenna, getTV and MeTV.

Since Disney owns almost 100% of Hulu and 50% of the A&E Television group, I've been wondering when it will add those extra A&E owned channels: LMN, LRW, Vice, fyi and Military History, into Hulu Live TV. At that point, I'd guess it'd strike a deal with Hallmark's owners too, and charge $5 or $10 more in an extra pack.

If Philo see its subscriptions drop, maybe as YTTV and Hulu Live TV overlap in channels, Philo should add some channels too. I'd like if it got the national feed of METV if possible (as Dish Network carries it on the satellite side), but if not, it could add Pop, INSP, Light TV, getTV, SONY Movie Channel, HDNet and the 4 EPIX channels in a higher tier, maybe $10 more a month.

I've noticed Hulu doesn't offer EPIX for some reason, although it has HBO, Cinemax, Starz and Showtime. I subscribe to EPIX via Sling, and Starz!/Showtime via Hulu, the latter with a combination discount that Hulu offered.

11. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Hulu has an Entertainment Add-On for $7.99/mo which includes Lifetime Movies, FYI, American Heroes, Cooking Channel, Destination America, Discovery Family, Discovery Life, Great American Country, Science and CNBC World.

Logo right now acts as a complimentary flank to TV Land and when VH1 is airing new episodes from RuPaul's Drag Race franchise it effectively signs off with a message encouraging viewers to turn to VH1.

12. rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Yeah, Logo is essentially TV Land 2 now, but I have a feeling Viacom doesn't want to actually do an actual rename as the channel was intended to serve the LGBTQ+ community. However if one actually looks at the schedule, it's mostly marathon re-runs of sitcoms and occasional movies. Sometimes it's a marathon showing of RuPaul's Drag Race though.

As far as Logo, RuPaul's Drag Race has moved to VH1. I don't know what ViacomCBS has in store for Logo if it was passed over in package negotiations between ViacomCBS and Google/ YouTube TV. Typically, Logo is in the highest most packages on cable already. Philo and Sling Blue with Comedy Extra add-on, have it in somewhat more affordable low price packages though. MeTV will be re-adding Laverne & Shirley to its schedule. Even with classic TV programming, now most of the shows on Logo can be found elsewhere.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  13. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    I don't forsee ViacomCBS keeping its large portfolio of cable channels as they exist now. I'm expecting some of the sparsely distributed channels being closed down. I also see Pop and Logo TV being prime for closing.

espaeth and B. Shoe like this.
  14. rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Yeah, ViacomCBS operates a high number cable channels, that aren't very distinct. Among the channels include:

CMT
    CMT Music (carried on Dish)
    BET
    BET Gospel (carried on Orby)
    BET Her
    BET Jams (carried on Orby)
    BET Soul (carried on Orby)
    Comedy Central
    MTV
    MTV2
    MTV Classic
    MTV Live
    MTV U
    VH1
    Logo
    TV Land
    Nickelodeon
    Nick Jr. (carried on Philo)
    NickToons
    NickMusic
    TeenNick
    Paramount Network
    Pop

Then, it also has CNET, ET Live, CBS News and other non cable, but digital channels, and Pluto TV app versions of the above channels. Of the OTT providers, I think Philo has somewhat good coverage of the Viacom channels, at least the pre ViacomCBS merger ones.

There is also the Smithsonian Channel, but that's somewhat a premium service or channel, as it has a $4.99/month premium version on Roku, it's just partly owned by ViacomCBS.

Last edited: May 14, 2020