Youtube TV Price Increase

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by b4pjoe, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:38 PM.

1. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    $64.99 :eek:

2. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Meh!!

I was going to try YouTube TV. I suspended my DirecTV back the first of May... haven't missed live TV since. Still, figured I'd have to try some of the live TV streaming services (although if sports don't come back... not sure it'll be worth it).

Heard rumors it was going to increase to $55/mo, but $65/mo is a bit rich. Still better than the $120/mo I was paying DirecTV. But this price increase makes SlingTV stand out a little bit more. Of course... Sling will probably raise their prices too.

3. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Sling doesn't have local networks. Deal breaker for me. I think most were expecting about a $10 increase. Pricing themselves $10 above Hulu Live TV doesn't seem like a good move especially given the RSN's that YTTV lost recently. Of course with Hulu Live TV you have to pay extra for more than 2 streams and enhanced DVR which I suppose makes them about equal. AT&T TV is starting to look better even with the two year contract...until you get to that second year.

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    You know that Hulu basic has next day showings of many live shows, right? CBS being the only broadcast outlier.

Do the math with ATT TV. Figure the first year minus whatever rebate is offered. Then figure on cancelling at the end of a year and paying the ETF and that will show your true cost for a year. Then do the same for if you keep it in the 2nd year. Still going to be high but not as horrible as it looks to the casual eye.

I’ve got 10 months until my anniversery and will either cancel and move on, or attempt to get some discounting. Of course all that assumes that in 10 months everyone won’t have raised their prices too!

5. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Yes but with forced ads unless you pay extra for the no ads add-on. And even then there are still some ads on some content.

6. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    This price increase is big. I will look at other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    The price increase isn't unexpected. Maybe a little higher than anticipated, but I'm splitting the cost via Family Sharing. My locals and RSNs are included in my market. I'm not going anywhere.

8. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    In reviewing my options with ATT TV and Youtube TV, in order to get an equivalent package I would have to go to at least Choice, which is also $64.99. The required RSN fee would push ATT TV even higher, just to get one sports channel that YTV provides me at no additional charge. I see no point in changing, especially with the Formula 1 season starting in three days. My YTV subscription provides me with all the channels that carry F1.

B. Shoe likes this.
  9. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    The increase is 'supposedly' due to the addition of viacom channels, which haven't been added as of this date, junk channels (imo) nobody wanted. If they wanted to add a new tier and sell them as an add-on, fine. Now the difference between yttv and hulutv has shrunk, and if it weren't that I took 2-3 months getting yttv to fix most (but not all) of the system errors that were causing problems with roku streaming boxes, and I don't want to repeat that with hulutv, I'd jump right now.

Yttv just added the 8 viacom channels (some press reports had it at 14, maybe more are coming), right as I was posting this message. Zero channels of any interest.

And as has been typical of their operation, this addition has introduced quite a few programming errors to the system. Let's see if it calms down before this coming weekend.

If they would add two of my local/national channels, metv and h&I, it would be worth it. The only things keeping me are pbs (6+ months and still no other service streaming them?!?) And the dvr system.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 6:00 PM
  10. msglsmo

msglsmo Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Kansas City, MO
    For that same price I get unlimited streams on Hulu Live TV. I was seriously considering YouTube TV, as I like the interface much better, but limited to 3 streams is a non-starter.

11. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    It's only 3 shows from their catalog. Hulu Help

I was a huge YTTV fan, we cancelled back in May when sports shut down, now I don't think we'll go back.

I set up a HDHomeRun to distribute local channels to devices in the house (Channels app on ATV, phones, tablets) and started setting up the Channels DVR to record stuff -- but the local DVR got shut down when we just started watching all our "DVR" shows from local channels exclusively on Hulu and CBS:AA with commercial free subscriptions.

12. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    No chance for me to get locals via anything other than DirecTV, Cable, or streaming services that provide them.

13. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Same with me as I moved out in the woods 4 yrs ago to get out of the high priced area, kept directv as long as I could but price increases drove me away; was paying comcast as well for internet, believe it or not far better service/price than the competition (for now) until starlink turns up.

At least yttv has cozi and other subchannel type channels, would like more, should be very cheap. They should also add the discovery channels they don't currently carry, again as an add-on, and get those trash viacom channels out to an add-on as well.

Again, very thin differences between yttv and hulu live. Very bad decisions at you tube corporate.

14. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    I’m looking at a Spectrum Triple play with Silver TV, internet and voice. Two years @ $130/month, including HBO Max and Showtime. Saves about $20 on internet + TV and the cost of HBO Max.

Added to say, all told, this is less than what I was paying DirecTV when I left two years ago, with no premiums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 11:11 PM
  15. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Hulu Live is 3 streams also. Might even be 2 I think you have to pay for the third

16. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Hulu Live TV is 2 streams or you can get the unlimited streams add-on for $9.99 per month extra.

17. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Correct.

By the time you get hulu (no ads) with unlimited screens and the 'enhanced' 200 hr dvr plus the 'entertainment' package that gets you the rest of the discovery channels (plus a bunch of crud channels mostly viacom) the price ends up being $5 more than the new yttv. The local channels is the same except for no pbs (you can get a fair amount free with the pbs app both on roku and android, and passport unlocks everything for $5/month or $60/year) and no subchannel (except for cozi) and severely constructed dvr. Since discovery is dragging their feet on a streaming package and I don't want to spend another $20/month on philo just to get them (plus gobs of viacom), there I sit. I have to throw away the last 6 months of working on yttv to get it to work properly with roku, and switch to hulu + live and probably start all over again complaining to them to try and get their programmers to do their job properly.

So it's looking like a thin edge of the wedge; give it a month or two and then jump, maybe do so in the next 2 weeks.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 4:48 AM
  18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    But the wording is a little weird.. because it reads like it is only unlimited in your house.. It is 3 on mobile

19. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Not a surprise. OTT/streaming is WAY more expensive then Sat from a back-end point of view. Sat is pretty much the perfect delivery medium from that point of view. OTT/streaming has more capacity for content, but we're talking live TV here, so the content capacity discussion is N/A. Other OTT providers will eventually do what T has done. Charge the same as they are from traditional except give you fewer channels.