YouTube TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dlt4, Oct 21, 2019.

1. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    My bill is at the point where DIRECTV has lost its appeal to me, after 16+ years, so I’m giving YTTV a try. With a couple of minor exceptions, it has all the channels I'm interested in. A five day trial isn't very long, so I'm wondering if anyone that decided against YTTV had any comments about why you decided to stick with DIRECTV, or perhaps chose another service. I know I won't have DoublePlay, can't set YTTV to record only first run shows, can't go to a channel by entering numbers on the remote, etc., but I"m sure there are other things I haven't thought about or discovered yet. Some things might be made easier by using Alexa on the fire stick remote, but haven't dug into that yet.

Thanks.

bobcnn likes this.
  2. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    After a few days YTTV replaces the DVR version of shows, the ones you can FF through commercials, with the VOD version that you can't FF through commercials. The first time I tested YTTV it only did this for the CBS shows. In my latest testing it shows they also do this for ABC shows as well. A single 30 minute comedy made me sit through 11 commercials. Haven't tested NBC or Fox shows yet during this round of testing. I have a feeling this may become the norm with cloud DVR services.

gio12 likes this.
  3. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    Thanks for the info. I was aware that there was no FF with on demand recordings, but I seldom watch anything on the networks, so hopefully it wouldn't be a major annoyance.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Things get a whole lot easier when you use a Fire TV Cube.

Rich

5. bobcnn

bobcnn Mentor

Nov 10, 2007
    Atlanta &...
    I had Directv for more than 25 years. about a month ago I swapped when my bill went from $90 to $160. I really like YTTV. I also liked Playstation Vue, but I though YTTV was slightly better. I like it that you can take all of your channels (and DVR shows) anywhere you go. CBS primetime shows do go to on demand the day after they air, but not daytime shows, like The Price is Right. I know a couple of other channels also do that like I believer The Smithsonian Channel. But ABC has not on my account. I have month old ABC shows that are not on demand.

6. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Why I will be switching when contract is up to YTTV and a OTA DVR for networks shows and save $50 or more a month.

mjwagner and bobcnn like this.
  7. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    Heard of that but not familiar with it. Can you enlighten me?

8. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    It only applies to certain networks (AFAIK 2) and I believe it’s only certain locations, and it is a restriction placed on them (YTTV) by the networks. We use PSVue and haven’t run into the issue with any show we watch but I don’t think we watch anything on ABC or CBS.

9. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I recorded several shows on ABC last week with YTTV. Bless this Mess, Stumptown, and the Rookie. When I went to watch them this weekend all had commercials that I can't FF through. And they are all labeled VOD instead of DVR. Same thing for all CBS shows on YTTV. Superstore on NBC from last Thursday is marked as VOD also and has a 15 second commercial at the front that I can't FF through.

10. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    The following link has a list of the 500-some local affiliates that Sony couldn't strike a deal with for DVR controls on PS Vue: Features | FAQ | PlayStation™Vue

I don't know of a similar list for YoutubeTV, but I'm wondering if you live in one of the areas with "problematic" affiliates?

armchair likes this.
  11. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    No idea. My locals are the locals from St. Louis, MO. which are not listed at that link.

12. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    Is your location registered as your "Home Area" for YoutubeTV? YouTube TV - Stream Live & Local TV

If that all looks good, I would contact support here: YouTube TV Help . They should be able to fix this pretty quickly, I would imagine.

13. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks for the link. Yes the St. Louis locals are my locals for YTTV also.

14. trufunk

trufunk New Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Switched and I’m not looking back. But if Fubo had ABC ESPN that would be the way to
    Go for me. (I liked watching the TNF in 4K and the Series.)YTTV is great for what it gives you. I don’t see myself switching back anytime soon. There’s lots of streaming options .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky Godfather

Feb 22, 2008
    Not correct. CBS, CW, and other Viacom channels do this. So if you record Blue Bloods on CBS and watch it the same night or within lets say 4 hours then you can still FF through commercials. If you don't watch it by the next day then you will have the on-demand version. This if for VIACOM channels.

Other channels you can access the DVR version for weeks after it records in not months.

b4pjoe and bobcnn like this.
  16. Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky Godfather

Feb 22, 2008
    Go to Library and choose the show (not a VIACOM/CBS show). Once on the show select the episode and under it is a drop down list. Simply choose the DVR version not the VOD option. FF all you want as long as it's not a CBS owned network. Have used Youtube TV for almost a year now. Dropped Directv almost 2 years ago.

Rich, b4pjoe and bobcnn like this.
  17. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    You can still watch those in 4K using the FOX Sports App on an AppleTV4K or Roku Ultra when you authenticate with a pay TV provider (including YouTubeTV).

Rich likes this.
  18. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Thank you for this info. Never noticed the drop down list. The CBS shows have it too but it says CBS has restricted access to the DVR version.

Brian Hanasky likes this.
  19. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I like the fact that they clearly identify the culprit.

20. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    If I were a cord-cutter, I would choose Hulu+Live TV. Since I already have the ad-free Hulu, I would get all of the ABC, NBC, and Fox shows without ads, and I would only be paying about $38 a month more than I'm paying just for Hulu. And with the ad-free CBS All-Access for $9.99 a month, it would still only add up to about $50 a month. Everything except CW. And no FFing needed.