YTTV

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Rich, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just activated YTTV yesterday. First impression: More than a decent app, what I'd expect from Google. Guide is not nearly as deep as we are used to but with the search options I found everything I wanted. Unfortunately, there isn't much I want to record at the moment but I'll get a lot of football games recorded in the next few weeks. My wife is gonna record Hallmark content if she can figure out how to use YTTV. That should be interesting.

I'll be back...

Rich

grover517 and Athlon646464 like this.
  2. TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    No Hallmark on YTTV. Cheapest service with Hallmark is Frndly TV. $7.99 monthly for the HD version.

3. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    There is also Hallmark Movies Now app which is commercial free for $4.99 a month,with annual subscription($59.99) or monthly for $5.99.

4. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    The guide in YTTV is a bit lacking. A few hours in the linear guide and if you select the channel icon in the leftmost column, you get 24 hours for that channel. I do like the granular options presented when recording sports events and you can set a high level option that records the league, team, etc. and the wife particularly likes the series option in the left column where it shows all the popular series for a given channel and you can select them to record, even if they are not currently airing but return as a mid season replacement, etc.

To me, that's the largest learning curve of YTTV but it is much more dynamic than the traditional guides once you get the hang of it.

As for Hallmark, we supplement with Philo for those as well as History and the Nick channels for the great grandson.

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Aww. Screwed that up. Thanks. Had the wife convinced this was a good thing. Now I gotta go to Plan B. I have no idea what Plan B is.

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    And there it is, Plan B. Just checked that site out and that would solve the problem. Thanks. I will add that app. That app has everything the wife wanted...and absolutely nothing I would watch.

Rich

HiDefRev likes this.
  7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was happy to see the options for recording specific teams. I really don't need a Guide. Seems like an easy site to use. I'm gonna record the football game tonight and watch it as I would if I used D*. See if it comes close to the D* sports experience.

Rich

grover517 likes this.
  8. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Just curious Rich. Why did you choose YTTV over Sling Orange, or Blue, or the combination of the two. I am also contemplating these streaming aps.

9. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    Switched from Hulu Live to YTTV last month (Hulu's price hike was too much for me) and have been pretty pleased, the guide is far better than what Hulu has.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I did it because of what I read on this site and other sites. Every review I've read made it sound like YTTV would be a good choice. I'm in an odd situation, I really don't need YTTV for anything but sports. YTTV has the YES channel which is my primary source for Yankee games. PQ seems to be decent. Easy to program recordings. Seems like a good choice.

Rich

mjwagner likes this.
  11. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I’ll chime in on this. I tried Sling and didn’t much like the UI but the real decision factor for me was the channel line-up on Sling was lacking for my requirements. YTTV checked off all the channels I need and I much preferred the UI and DVR over Sling. Honestly I find these decisions to be very dependent on personal preference.

This site provides a good way to compare the channel line-up of the various services -
    - It keeps trying to paste a video link here, don't know why...I'll try a separate post with the link -

12. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Rich....if your cell provider is AT&T and you have one of the unlimited plans, you have access to AT&T Watch TV for free (not to be confused with AT&T now and whatever other streaming offerings they have). That channel has Hallmark TV. I don't think there are recording options, but there appears to be VOD.

AT&T WatchTV – Live TV at a Very Low Price

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Appreciate the thought and link. I'm so disgusted with what ATT has done to D* that I don't think I want anything to do with anything ATT has to offer from this point on.

Rich

grover517 and mjwagner like this.
  14. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    When I was looking into cord cutting 3 years ago, Sling didn't carry BTN or Fox News. Three years later, still no BTN or FoxNews and today no RSN's for Iowa and so no Sling for me.

15. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Thanks for the insight garn9173. RSN's are a big deal to me. In Phoenix that's the ticket to the Diamonbacks, Suns, and Coyote games. PAC 12 would be nice but not a deal breaker.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I watched The Late Show last night using YTTV and it seemed to be pretty much the same as the recording of the same show on one of my HRs. Didn't see anything to comment on that was different. Then I watched the Ravens-Jets game on both D* and YTTV. Back and forth looking for differences and I saw enough to watch the last quarter using my HR. The PQ on the game using YTTV bothered me, didn't happen using the HR. I just thought PQ on the HR was a bit better.

I missed the 30 Second Skip. YTTV only has a 15 second skip. Annoying but I can live with it. All in all, it looks pretty good. Certainly easy to navigate thru it.

Rich

17. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I recorded the game on my HR54 and watched it in 4k Football is the best

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I hear that...perhaps Google is listening...

Rich

19. TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Seems like Fox Sports has gotten their act together with their app for 4K streaming of Thursday Night football. They switched from HLG to HDR10 and now the app supports HDR on both Roku and Fire Stick.

WestDC likes this.