1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zip code 00000 in HR24s

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by PCampbell, Feb 19, 2012.

1. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I set up two new HR24s one is a 100 and the other is a 500. Both work correct for locals, weather and all else but in info screen the zip is 00000.i don't want do a complete reset, dose anyone now of a way to set zip. When I did the setup as new it did not ask for a zip.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Its just used for calculating the dish pointing screen. Ignore it.
    If it bothers you, just do a satellite setup over again. (Not a complete reset).

3. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Thanks. I will forget about it.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I read putting the zip in your local weather setup also updates it. Was this wrong info?

5. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    My new HR34 did not have the zip code set yet the Weather Channel did when the local on the 8's came on. I thought it was strange.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Sorry, that's not right. The system test will show 00000 as the zip code unless you go through dish aiming in the satellite setup.

7. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I couldn't test it, because I had done all my existing receivers via the Sat Setup.

I'm swapping a HR21 in a couple of days. I'm going to try the Weather Local Setup and see if the More Info 00000 Zip Code updates.

8. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    How does D* know your local channels without the ZIP? Also, if you have OTA AM21, how does it know what the local channels may be?

9. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    DirecTV gives you local channels based upon your service address on the account. They then send autorization to your receivers over the satellite signal to your receivers to tell your receivers which local channels you are authorized for and where they are in the data stream. If you are too far outside the spotbeam for the local channels that you would get based on your service address you won't get them.

As far as the AM21 goes it has it's own zip code entry screen when you set it up and it uses those zip codes to figure out what local channels are in the guide database being sent down from the satellites. It then will tune in only those channels that are in the guide (except with the H20 and HR34, evidently they actually scan for OTA channels and then compare to the guide data).

The zip code entry that you put in during satellite setup is just to help you aim the dish like mentioned before. It will give you the angles to use as a starting point to aim the dish and then you tweak it from there.

10. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Thanks for clearing that up. Have a great day!

11. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    HR21-200 w/SW 4D1 arrived today. It had a zip code of 00000 in the More Info screen. Went to Weather and my Zip was already there. For fun I change it to my old city zip and there was no change in the More Info screen.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well there you go.