DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Mentor
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having issues with losing some channels so I reaimed my dish using a Directv AIM. Still seeing the same problem although some of the other channels are showing higher numbers. I have 0's on all odd transponders on 103 Ca and Cb. The problem is showing up on all receivers so the last point of single failure is the SWiM16. Has anyone else had any issues similar to this and if so what was the remedy. I tried different LNB's on the dish and had the same issue so it's either wiring, grounding blocks, of the SwiM.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nick

· Registered
11,428 Posts
Starting Christmas eve the problem surfaced again with the new SWM16 I had installed. This is starting to piss me off. 0 on odd 103 Ca and CB transponders
So now you know it was not the SWM16 that was the problem. If you hadn't jumped to conclusions before anyone offered their advice, we would have told you that the LNB is almost always the problem in such situations and replacing the LNB would allow you to remove the SWM16 from your setup.

· Mentor
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I changed out LNB's previously when I first had the problem and the issue was still there. I also changed the leads into the multiswitch and the problem persisted only on 103 so I dont believe it's the LNB. (I stilll could be wrong). I did a search on this forum and found a few other people that had issues with lowing odd transponders on 103 and changing the SWM16 fixed the issue. I did do some research here on the site before changing parts and some of the advice I got was the SWM.

Does anyone know what would be the root cause of having 103 odds go out do to the SWM16. This time I changed out the power supply too when I changed out the SWM

· Registered
4,146 Posts
I changed out LNB's previously when I first had the problem and the issue was still there. I also changed the leads into the multiswitch and the problem persisted only on 103 so I dont believe it's the LNB. (I stilll could be wrong). I did a search on this forum and found a few other people that had issues with lowing odd transponders on 103 and changing the SWM16 fixed the issue. I did do some research here on the site before changing parts and some of the advice I got was the SWM.

Does anyone know what would be the root cause of having 103 odds go out do to the SWM16. This time I changed out the power supply too when I changed out the SWM
Suggestion: I would check any outside RG 6 connections for Water Damage -or Brunt stinger --It most likely one Rg6 lead--I would also suggest you dump the Swm16 (if your receivers can do Swm) and change the LNB out to Single Down lead (gives) you 21 Swm Channels + 1 channel for the guide.

· Registered
11,428 Posts

If it is just the 103 odds and not the 99 odds also getting 0s then it isn't cabling because one cable carries both. It would be REALLY hard for it to be the SWM16 also because of the way the internal multiswitches are configured, but that's at least possible. No chance you'd get two SWM16s with the same nearly impossible problem in a row though.

If you replaced the LNB before, why didn't you replace it with a SWM LNB? If you want to eliminate possible points of failure, having a legacy LNB, four cables, and a SWM16 is a lot more potential points of failure than a SWM LNB and a single cable.

Reactions: P Smith

· Mentor
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had an extra LNB laying around so i didn't have to go and buy anything. Also I think I may be too far away from where he power inserter would be to where the LNB is. I think you're
limited to 75 or a 100 feet and I'm closer to 150. I know I'm currently have a least 12 outputs beings used for the SWM16. 3 receivers - 1 HR24, 1 HR24DVR, and 1 HR44 genie ,1 play station, 2 blue ray players, 2 stereos,and using a Deca setup to run wired internet to my electronic.s including 3 TV's hooked up to internet. I've learned most of the install stuff myself and reading on the forums but I am by no means real knowledgable about wiring these things up.

From what I've been able to find about the SWMLNB does that limit you to 8 outputs (2 splitters) with your system?
The only schematics I've been able to find only show 2 splitters with a power inserter with a SWM at the LNB. I could be very wrong in my line of thinking, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Def from a wiring standpoint the SWMLNB would simplify things on my in house wiring and eliminate a failure point but I;m not sure how to wire it up and keep everything working as it currently does.

Thanks,

Nick

· Registered
135 Posts
Also I think I may be too far away from where he power inserter would be to where the LNB is. I think you're
limited to 75 or a 100 feet and I'm closer to 150.

Thanks,
Nick
Personally I’ve used up to 300 inches and a six receiver run without a problem. It all depends on the amount of splitters being used and the type of coax cables you use (dual shield, quad shield, etc).

· Registered
11,428 Posts
I had an extra LNB laying around so i didn't have to go and buy anything. Also I think I may be too far away from where he power inserter would be to where the LNB is. I think you're
limited to 75 or a 100 feet and I'm closer to 150. I know I'm currently have a least 12 outputs beings used for the SWM16. 3 receivers - 1 HR24, 1 HR24DVR, and 1 HR44 genie ,1 play station, 2 blue ray players, 2 stereos,and using a Deca setup to run wired internet to my electronic.s including 3 TV's hooked up to internet. I've learned most of the install stuff myself and reading on the forums but I am by no means real knowledgable about wiring these things up.

From what I've been able to find about the SWMLNB does that limit you to 8 outputs (2 splitters) with your system?
The only schematics I've been able to find only show 2 splitters with a power inserter with a SWM at the LNB. I could be very wrong in my line of thinking, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Def from a wiring standpoint the SWMLNB would simplify things on my in house wiring and eliminate a failure point but I;m not sure how to wire it up and keep everything working as it currently does.

Thanks,

Nick

Directv moved on from SWM LNBs limited to only 8 tuners years ago. Get one like this and you can move on from the SWM16.

Not sure what you are talking about with "12 outputs being used for the SWM16". You can't hook up blue ray players, stereos and a playstation to a SWM16. They might be using coax if they are using DECA for networking but they don't depend on the SWM16 being there in any way.

With two HR24s and one HR44 you are currently using 9 tuners. If you are using a DECA network to hook up other stuff you should probably connect a 2 way splitter to the cable coming from the LNB. Connect the red port on that 2 way to a 4 way splitter with your three Directv devices, and the power inserter on the "red" port on that power inserter.

The other port on that two way splitter can connect to all your DECA devices, and keep them separate from your Directv stuff.

Reactions: b4pjoe

· Mentor
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I may give that a try. Everything is up and running now with the new swm16 but occasionally getting small pixelization on channels from 103 odd transponders. I have enough splitters etc laying around with the swmlnb I should be able to hook everything up similar to what you stated. May order that lnb tonight in case things go south like before. I think I understood how to hook things up.

Only issue is I only have 1 coax lead at a cpl of places where I have internet and sat signal going thru. I don't think I can separate the deca signals from the directv signals on separate coax at the final use point. Example - One coax lead coming out of the wall feeds hr44 genie blue ray player, home theater receiver and Blu ray player and internet to the tv Things are split off to the different components after it comes out of the wall. Kind of a mess but everything works except for when I lose 103 odd numbers. transponders.

· Registered
11,428 Posts
I'm curious how the devices use coax cable ? Do you have HDMI modulator on each or streaming box ?
He's using DECA to provide network to those boxes, so he has a DECA adapter converting to ethernet and then plugging into his blue ray player etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts