DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been overseas a few months and when I get back last weekend I find both my HR20s are "Searching for signal..." on ESPN. Aside: I actually had to watch the Cowboys/Eagles game on a 32" SD tv!!!! As I'm complaining away my wife mentions that some of her channels have been this way for a few weeks.

Anyway, I look at my signal strengths and find that all tuners are getting 0s across the board on 99(c) - both HR20s, both tuners in each of them. From what I see here at DBStalk there were a number of channels moved to that bird recently, probably around the time we started having problems. I also see that 103(c) plays a role in HD channels that I get, and I see low readings on that too (but not 0 like 99(c)):

Code:
(14 total at 103°(c))
1-8  68 60 61 51 69 63 58 52
9-16 68 63 60 57 69 68 NA NA
It would appear to me that an alignment is due.

Before I recruit my wife to help while I climb the ladder and turn some wrenches, does having a moderate signal at 103(c) and no signal at 99(c) indicate something other than alignment may be at fault?

·
Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
I would start by getting the 103 peaked and 99 should follow. It would be almost impossible to not get one without the other unless there is something else wrong. Hopefully someone here could suggest why you could get 103 and not get 99.

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doug Brott said:
Do you have BBCs connected to Satellite lines coming into your receiver?
I should have mentioned this before but yes, we do have the BBCs on all the satellite lines coming into the HR20s. Thinking there might be a bad one, I switched them between tuners and that only seemed to make things worse. Unfortunately that was at the end of a very frustrating evening so I don't remember exactly what it did, but I know it was worse than just searching for satellite on a couple channels.

Someone earlier mentioned checking for plumb. Shortly after the install about 1-1/2 years ago I noticed that the pole didn't seem plumb when looking at it from the ground. We've got an undereave mount. We had no problems receiving any channels so I never thought twice about it. Maybe it was sufficient for 103(c), but not 99(c).

I'll try to get up there this weekend and straighten it out, see if that helps.

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I also forgot to mention that we've got a 5LNB slimline, and there are no LOS issues. We're located in central Arizona, and while it's been "rainy" the last few weeks, I made sure to check the signals on a clear day.

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone that replied, incl. those that left PMs.

The mast was out of plumb as I suspected. I wasn't able to get it perfect but it's a lot closer now. After following the video and printed instructions for aligning the Slimline (found here), we're now getting were able to get upper 80s-90s on 99(c)!

Saved $80 and a 2 week wait - I love these forums!

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
That's good news. My cemented-in pole is not plumb and, although I got 80s-90s on 103c, 99c runs from 59-79, and I can't seem to do any better.

I'm thinking seriously about trying to straighten out that pole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.