DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Got it in 37128 last night at 10:04 p.m. CST. Thanks Santa Earl. :)

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
255 different zip codes are now lit up. Many are from Santa. Some may be duplicates - I mark the zip code 'yes' if it is entered, so it doesn't matter if it's 1 time or 50 times.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
delongboy said:
Including the Santa ones kinda defeats the purpose of the map doesn't it?
Once they authorized a forced download, how could it possibly defeat the purpose of the map? The purpose is for each update...this one changed when they changed the rules (allowed a national force window).

It's not like the map was going anywhere fast as it was...why do you think the natives were surrounding the castle with torches and shovels?

Sure, I'd love to stare at a map with perhaps 20 unchanging data points while the rest of the world passed me by. I'd feel pretty informed.
:)
The map should reflect reality, not modality. It does, and I for one am happy with what it shows.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
hasan said:
The map should reflect reality, not modality. It does, and I for one am happy with what it shows.
That's fine, but now the map is just "interesting" and not "informative." It's informative when you can watch the dots go across the country, as DirecTV releases the update to more and more places. Now it's rather pointless.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Maybe DirecTV saw the map and realized that there weren't too many people at DBSTalk.com updated to provide feedback ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, though, this was an ad-hoc experiment open for easy attack by anyone that might be disgruntled, mischievous or simply ignorant. The mere method of data collection lends itself to inaccuracies, and the Santa thing just made it that much worse. If you ask me, all it ever did was tell us what we already knew by painting a cute little picture.

The good/bad news of it all is that in a couple of weeks, it will be empty again with everyone clamoring for the next update - we can start all over again. :)

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Jeremy W said:
That's fine, but now the map is just "interesting" and not "informative." It's informative when you can watch the dots go across the country, as DirecTV releases the update to more and more places. Now it's rather pointless.
I think you missed my point...there will be another map, with another release. This map's usefulness is limited to the next couple weeks. We still saw and will see dots go across the country...only it reflects user patterns and not D* release patterns. When they go national with it (assuming it is the same firmware), it will be an amalgam of user patterns and the D* release. Still more than pointless to me, but hey, one person's "information" is another person's noise. To deny that there is "information" contained in mapping user download patterns is outright silly. It may not be the information that was initially being presented, but it certainly is information related to firmware downloads. Whether it is useful or pointless is a matter of opinion.

I find it more than pointless...just not the point you might have been interested in.

There seems to be no end to criticism of whatever someone does on this forum. Initially it was "accuracy" (of the zip codes), then accuracy based on mistaken/deliberately forged entries. Now it's ...oh yeah...it not longer represents what I want, so it's pointless. It's a wonder anyone volunteers to do anything...

·
AllStar
74 Posts
I see that the next update will be 0x108 or 0x104. When I check my system it shows software version 0xfa. Will the next update show as the 0x108 (or 0x104) format or in another format? :confused:

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
ruthiesea said:
I see that the ota update will be 0x108. When I check my system it shows software version 0xfa. Will the next update show as the 0x108 (or 0x104) format or in another format? :confused:
There are a number of other threads going into detail, but here's a summary:

0x104 did not go national
0x108 is the new limited release
0x108 was released to all last night if you force-downloaded during a 3-hour window

0xfa is the current national release

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·

·
Hall Of Fame
1,060 Posts
Good, I think pulling it was the obvious choice. Was coming here to suggest that after seeing another comment you made to Earl.

So to do you follow State from way out there in CA, brott? Seems we both start over in football.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.