DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Icon
Joined
·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Except for the "Series" recordings, everything else was wiped after a 1-minute power outage @ our house this morning. Major wifey aggro, as she had 100+ shows in the to-do-list set up to record.................She is beyond po'd after hours spent setting up shows to record, several of which she can't remember what she had set to record. :mad:

This happened on our HR20 unit, I haven't checked my HR21, but that's my dvr and I only had a handful set-up. Life's too short for me to grieve over it.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPS, u mean a surge protector w/ a back-up battery power strip?

Any of you fine folks have a link for such? please.................b4 the wifes catapults me into the dog house.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,417 Posts
texasmoose said:
UPS, u mean a surge protector w/ a back-up battery power strip?

Any of you fine folks have a link for such? please.................b4 the wifes catapults me into the dog house.
UPS, un-interruptible power supply. Can be had most any computer or office supply store, you don't need a big fancy one, 350-550 VA will do fine for the DVR.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,266 Posts
texasmoose said:
UPS, u mean a surge protector w/ a back-up battery power strip?

Any of you fine folks have a link for such? please.................b4 the wifes catapults me into the dog house.
Yes, UPS is an acronym for "uninterruptible power supply" which is basically a surge protector with a battery backup. You could buy a really big one that would get your DVR and 50" plasma through several hours of blackout, but that would probably cost "thousands". Really, what you want is one that will get the DVR through a few minutes the inevitable flickers and surges that happens during an outage. Even if it doesn't keep the DVR running for the full outage, it will deliver clean and steady power until the battery is almost dead, and then it will simply cut power cleanly. It's not the loss of power that causes DR problems - it's the surges and flickering on/off.

As for where to get them, well, it may be easier to list where *not* to get them! Pretty much any place that sells electronics or office supplies carry them - BestBuy, Circuit City, HH Gregg, Office Depot, Staples, even Walmart. A 300VA or so unit should be adequate for an HR2x. Expect to pay $30-$40 (maybe a little less if you find a good sale).
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
253 Posts
davring said:
UPS, un-interruptible power supply. Can be had most any computer or office supply store, you don't need a big fancy one, 350-550 VA will do fine for the DVR.
True you don't need a big one, but you can spend ~$150 and plug in the TV and stereo receiver too. You can keep watching during an outage and probably add life to your electronics:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,636 Posts
I run APC750s on two of my setups (tv,dvd,HR) with everything on they hold for 20 minutes.. longer if shut down.. these were under 100$ at bestbuy..
my main setup (tv,surround,HR,dvd,swm,fans) is on an APC1500 and runs about the same amount of time.. 1500 was close to 200$
Well worth the investment.. especialy since they saved my equipment when a line came down on my street.. took out all kinds of stuff in negbors houses..
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As tech savvy as I thought I was, common sense didn't prevail on this topic. I can't believe I didn't make this happen b4 all of this wifey aggro! Hard lesson learned. Wife still thinx that with all the cashcake we throw @ D* that they should've had back-up battery within the DVR itself.
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
Texasmoose.. your to do list will rebuild itself over the next 6-12 hours. This is normal. There is a startup procedure that checks the integrity of the list and if there's a problem, it wipes it and rebuilds it.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
28,939 Posts
Also, please note that two restarts within a 30 minute period will flush the guide cache and cause your TODO list to become empty (until it is rebuilt). Is it possible that there were two power hits within a short period of time?
 

·
Difficulty Concen........
Joined
·
7,394 Posts
texasmoose said:
they should've had back-up battery within the DVR itself.
That would bring up another whole debate between those who do not support UPS use. Take a look at fry's.com and the big box office and electronic stores. They regularly run sales and rebates.
You can check your prioritizer to be sure the shows are all still there to prove once the guide rebuilds, your to-do list will also.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,433 Posts
armophob said:
That would bring up another whole debate between those who do not support UPS use......
I 'd think the thread title should be a bit of negative anecdotal evidence in that regard. :) Please, no! :beatdeadhorse:
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
24,450 Posts
texasmoose said:
Wife still thinx that with all the cashcake we throw @ D* that they should've had back-up battery within the DVR itself.
You don't want to have to explain that the batteries need to be replaced periodically. DIRECTV doesn't want anyone inside one of their leased boxes.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
texasmoose said:
As tech savvy as I thought I was, common sense didn't prevail on this topic. I can't believe I didn't make this happen b4 all of this wifey aggro! Hard lesson learned. Wife still thinx that with all the cashcake we throw @ D* that they should've had back-up battery within the DVR itself.
That would add a couple of pounds and a few inches of size.

And you're better off putting the UPS on the TV, too.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,266 Posts
harsh said:
You don't want to have to explain that the batteries need to be replaced periodically. DIRECTV doesn't want anyone inside one of their leased boxes.
With a little design expertise and forethought, that would be no problem! They could just add access panels, like on laptop computers, to allow for consumer replacement/upgrade of the battery *and* hard drive.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,333 Posts
rudeney said:
With a little design expertise and forethought, that would be no problem! They could just add access panels, like on laptop computers, to allow for consumer replacement/upgrade of the battery *and* hard drive.
This would be a support nightmare. Others would complain about the UPS inclusion was needlessly increasing the price because they have never once lost power.

Spending $40-50 on a UPS to keep from losing content or having to wait for a replacement DVR is cheap in my opinion.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top