DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to apps, Apple's walled garden is quite large and it offers most of what you might want. But there's also a vast world of possible things for you to do with it outside the garden - once you've jailbroken your iPhone and escaped Apple's control.

[YOUTUBEHD]fZoqW-GEdQM[/YOUTUBEHD]

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have to "work", but thanks a bunch anywho.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
I don't mean fired or anything, but lose Activesync rights. And it wasn't directed at Nick, but a consideration that anyone who jailbreaks should keep in mind, even if the device is owned by them.

Actually it will be interesting to see the Librarian of Congress's ruling at the next DMCA exemption.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Jailbreaking was ruled to be legal last year as long as the phone is yours. However, you give up ALL rights for the warranties, support, etc if you jailbreak your iphone. I've read many stories about people who brick their phones because they don't know what they're doing.

On the other hand, there's a lot to be said for all the stuff you can do.

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
Jailbreaking to do 90% of the stuff Android users take for granted. :rolleyes:

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
dmspen said:
Jailbreaking was ruled to be legal last year as long as the phone is yours. However, you give up ALL rights for the warranties, support, etc if you jailbreak your iphone. I've read many stories about people who brick their phones because they don't know what they're doing.

On the other hand, there's a lot to be said for all the stuff you can do.
Jailbreaking was added as a DMCA exclusion in 2010. It's not guaranteed to be renewed. Exclusions expire after 3 years unless renewed by the Librarian.

And it should be noted, the exclusion was specific to "telephone handsets", which wouldn't include things like iPads.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
I think I'm going to jailbreak my old iPhone 3GS just to play. Seems like it would be fun.

I used to be a Pocket PC user and loved dinking around with it. Now with smartphones you really can't. You just use what they give you (Apple!)

Anybody have prefernces on which jailbreak stuff and sites to use?

·
Icon
883 Posts
Before the iPhone 4S, I jailbroke my iPhones so I could run MyWi which allowed me to turn the phone into a hotspot without having to get an AT&T plan for that. I also had a program that let me put stuff on the lock screen. That was the extent of what I did with the jailbreak :). I blew it off after I got the 4S because it takes too long for the jailbreaks to come out after an IOS release & I wasn't worth not being able to upgrade the IOS. However, my neice & nephew would jailbreak theirs & loved what they could do.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
I'd disagree with that, and I'm a guy that likes to play with tech. iPhones and iPads are very useful even stock. I did jailbreak my iPod to get apps, and didn't like when they charged us $20 to get things like the mail app, but they don't do that anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.