DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Legend
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the setup wizard the box showed that getting a signal from 103b failed. Installer says that isn't an issue. The checklist I have says to make sure I'm getting a signal from 103B.

Which is right?

Possible it might have been 103C, but I think it was B

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
ewto16 said:
During the setup wizard the box showed that getting a signal from 103b failed. Installer says that isn't an issue. The checklist I have says to make sure I'm getting a signal from 103B.

Which is right?

check 480 and 481 channels

·
1,481 Posts
ewto16 said:

Which is right?

What receiver are you using?

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Not an issue. DirecTv shut off/changed the beacon on the Spaceway bird at 103 (can't remember if it's S1 or S2). Just make sure that your getting good levels (80+) on 103c & 99c

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
ewto16 said:
Channel 480 says "Correct HD Dish Setup. 103 B-Band Odd (13V).

Channel 481 says "103 B-Band Even. BBC confirmed working."
your system is working perfectly
well except for the signal levels, I would watch them for a month and if they stay low, call

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
ewto16 said:
Would they possibly get higher? How could I improve them? Is the dish not aligned right?

The guy is still here.
103 seems a tiny bit low./ 99 is so new we do not know if it will go higher on not (it went live today)

He should try to fine tune the dish a tiny but and get the 80s to 85 or 90s if possible but they are "Nominal" at 80

·
Legend
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
curt8403 said:
103 seems a tiny bit low./ 99 is so new we do not know if it will go higher on not (it went live today)

He should try to fine tune the dish a tiny but and get the 80s to 85 or 90s if possible but they are "Nominal" at 80
This guy isn't fine tuning anything. He is lazy. He said those levels were fine.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
ewto16 said:
This guy isn't fine tuning anything. He is lazy. He said those levels were fine.
as long as the picture is ok, it will work. if the picture goes blocky, then you can get a free service call in the first 90 days, and the poor tech who installed it for you will get in trouble for not fine tuning.

·
Legend
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
curt8403 said:
as long as the picture is ok, it will work. if the picture goes blocky, then you can get a free service call in the first 90 days, and the poor tech who installed it for you will get in trouble for not fine tuning.
He sucked. He left his crap all over. He just left the boxes sitting around. He left cable that he brought to run. He didn't push one of the TVs back or put back anything he moved to install the equipment. Just very lazy overall.

I'll watch the TV alot over the next month or so and see what happens.

Thanks for the timely advice.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
ewto16 said:
He sucked. He left his crap all over. He just left the boxes sitting around. He left cable that he brought to run. He didn't push one of the TVs back or put back anything he moved to install the equipment. Just very lazy overall.

I'll watch the TV alot over the next month or so and see what happens.

Thanks for the timely advice.
For the most part I agree with you. Except...

Moving the TVs and other stuff to get to the area he needs to work in is your responsibility. Not his. Same with moving all your stuff back. He's an installer (maybe not a good one, but an installer nonetheless), not a mover.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
RobertE said:

Moving the TVs and other stuff to get to the area he needs to work in is your responsibility. Not his. Same with moving all your stuff back. He's an installer (maybe not a good one, but an installer nonetheless), not a mover.
Yup, and it is what people expect us to do all the time. Sure I'll move your brand new 52" TV or you 10 year old 32" CRT. :nono:

·
Legend
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RobertE said:

curt8403 said:
picking up what he brought is something he should have done. moving tvs etc is what you would do.
Well, by moving a TV I meant I have a little 20" set (if that big) on a dresser in my bedroom. He had to move it (spin it) to the side to get to the back and hook the box to the TV. Once it was hooked up, he just left it pointing to the side. Being a small TV, I would have thought he would at least spin it back so that I could actually watch it. That just struck me as lazy.

Leaving the boxes from the stuff just scattered about and the plastic from the boxes everywhere is also not cool. Plus, he just left all the manuals and everything in the boxes. Seems that you should hand those to the customer. And he left about 200 feet of cable in my living room.

Just annoying. I've had much more considerate service people in my home before.

·
Icon
673 Posts
ewto16 said:
Well, by moving a TV I meant I have a little 20" set (if that big) on a dresser in my bedroom. He had to move it (spin it) to the side to get to the back and hook the box to the TV. Once it was hooked up, he just left it pointing to the side. Being a small TV, I would have thought he would at least spin it back so that I could actually watch it. That just struck me as lazy.

Leaving the boxes from the stuff just scattered about and the plastic from the boxes everywhere is also not cool. Plus, he just left all the manuals and everything in the boxes. Seems that you should hand those to the customer. And he left about 200 feet of cable in my living room.

Just annoying. I've had much more considerate service people in my home before.
Hey look at the bright side. 200 ft of cable is not a joke it cost money. Keep it for your home projects.

·
Legend
109 Posts
Signal levels are a bit low. Go out and give the dish a nice nudge, just enough to lower the levels of the HD, and then call in tomorrow. A service call in 7 days is very bad on the tech. I dont recommend this if the tech was good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.