DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I watched Mythbusters which is obviously SD but is letterboxed. When I tried to use the "Format" button to set the format to 1080i Crop, I got very inconsistent results.

-Sometimes it worked right.
-Sometimes it stretched the picture correctly left to right, but distorted it so that I lost about 25% more of the picture from top to bottom than I should have (and everything was too thin).
-Sometimes it stretched the picture correctly left to right, but then top to bottom I lost about 50% more top to bottom than I should have (and everything was downright anorexic).
-Sometimes it would be right for a few seconds then switch to wrong.

I really doubt it was my TV since the "cruise control" bar was always in the correct place. I haven't changed the scaling settings on the TV (with mine, HD signals are hard set to Widescreen). Also when I paused and flipped through different formats, sometimes I saw part of the next frame at the bottom of the current frame.

I'll admit I haven't tried a red-button reset yet, that will be tonight.
I'm sure that if I allowed 480i in the formats list I could work around it. Right now I'm using HR20 to push everything to 1080i.

I'm also sure I didn't see this issue before the last update.

Does anyone else have this problem, or any solution I haven't thought of?

· Registered
4,880 Posts
I have experienced the same bugs with my HR20, but not recently. It definitely occurred in previous builds. I run in Native mode.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting that this issue's been around for a while but I hadn't seen it.

I would switch to native mode in a heartbeat, but the previous issues I've had are:

-takes way too much time to switch channels
-Running HDMI, there's a lot of annoying "autonegotiation" (green screen, static) when going from channel to channel.

Has there been any improvement on these? I would much rather let the TV handle the formatting.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
I just have 1080i and 480i selected as formats. If I'm watching something in SD like Mythbusters and I don't like the way the 1080i stretching is looking (which I normally don't) then I simply hit the format button to change to 480i and let my TV do it's magic upscaling and stetching it. If I go back to an HD channel at some point I'll hit format again to get to 1080i.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.