DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and couldn't find a definitive discussion about 1080p on the Hopper/Joey system so here goes.

Simple question(s):
Does the Hopper/Joey system support 1080p? My real life experience with software 2.09 says no, it doesn't support 1080p.

Why would it be released without 1080p when most other newer DVRs have the capability to output 1080p?

When will 1080p be implemented?

FYI, I just had a Hopper and 3 Joey's installed yesterday. Although they do not have 1080p support, overall the system is nice and gets a thumbs up.

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
Try to play a 1080p VOD and find out.

·
Godfather
1,034 Posts
I don't think the OP knows how 1080p works on Dish receivers. Set the receiver to 1080i. If renting a 1080p VOD, the receiver will output 1080p IF the TV is compatible. It has never been a "setting" choice. There is NO broadcast or satellite/cable programming in 1080p.

·
Super Moderator
53,483 Posts
eshapir said:
I searched and couldn't find a definitive discussion about 1080p on the Hopper/Joey system so here goes.
Interesting, as I has just replied to another thread 9 hours earlier ...
All of DISH's live channels are in 1080i or 720p ... for the content that DISH provides in 1080p (a few Video on Demand movies each month) the receiver will switch to 1080p output and test to see if your set will accept it. The same for 3D televisions. Choose 3D content and the receiver tests then falls back to 2D if 3D is not detected.​

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,420 Posts
James Long said:
Interesting, as I has just replied to another thread 9 hours earlier ...
You should knew being a member for many years here - almost each newbie starting here with such broad statement - searched - didn't find anything ... or found too much, or found contradicting posts, or posts are too old (year, month, week, hour ago) :D

·
5 Posts
The fact is that the sat is sending overall, 1080i...so what's the deal with no 1080p on the hopper? Your tv, if it is a 1080p set will take the 1080i signal and upconvert to 1080p. Have a nice day watching the 1080p you thought you didn't have. LOL (Sorry, just couldn't resist...am an old fart and can't help myself.)

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,420 Posts
HayRaker said:
The fact is that the sat is sending overall, 1080i...so what's the deal with no 1080p on the hopper? Your tv, if it is a 1080p set will take the 1080i signal and upconvert to 1080p. Have a nice day watching the 1080p you thought you didn't have. LOL (Sorry, just couldn't resist...am an old fart and can't help myself.)
overall ... but VOD is sending in 1080p24 ... some of these

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.