Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks....

I *almost* got my two dishes dialed in today. Can someone give me some help with one last bit?

I have a D1000. I live in the Pacific North West. I installed the D1000, but I removed the 129 LNBF from it. I mounted the 129 LNBF onto a 500 dish. I have a short bit of RG6 running from the 129LNBF on the 500 dish to the 110 LNBF on the D1000. It is hooked up exactly as the directions say for the D1000 on page 2 of the D1000 manual, except the 129 LNBF is a foot away living in a 500 dish.

I hooked up my 622 and set it up to look for the 119 satellite. I was able to ID the 119 satellite and lock on. Then I selected the 110 satellite in the 622 set up screen, and I was locked onto it as well. My signal strength was very good; in the 80s plus for both the 119 & the 110.

After that, the 622 did some stuff; rebooted and then down loaded new software. Then it came back on again. After that, I turned the 622 off for 15 minutes, then turned it on again. It looked for my dial tone, and then everything was fine (again). I can see the DN commercials that are shown before you turn your service on.

So I went to the acquire screen again and selected the 129 satellite. Then I started moving the 500 dish around the sky looking for 129 satellite. I had a good idea where it was, but I could not find it. To make a long story short, after my buddy & I worked on it for about 4 hours, we never did get anything from the 129 LNBF.

I disconnected the RG6 from the 622, and did a check switch. Then I turned the 622 off, and connected the RG6 to the 622 and turned it on. Then I did a check switch again. It saw (as before) the 119 & the 110 LNBs.

Tomorrow, I am going to replace the cross connect RG6 that runs between the 129 LNBF and the 110 LNBF. But I think it is good, I just don't know what to do next.

My 500 dish sits next to the D1000 dish. I believe I have my azimuth, and elevation set correctly for the 129LNB in the 500 dish. I am not sure of the skew setting.

I wanted to call DN today and turn on service. But with out getting anything out of the 129 LNB I am holding off.

Can anyone think of what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

mraroid

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Further working on my 129 access problem....

I have looked over new menus now that L365 has down loaded into my VIP622. I looked to see if I could find anything wrong. One thing caught my eye. In a diagnostic screen it says:

Modular Set Up = (TV1) OFF
Modular Set Up = (TV2) Air 60

I only have one TV in the house. Is this modular set up correct, or do I need to change it?

So far, everything I have looked at (my wiring, dish, LNBFs, 622) are set up correctly (as far as I know).

For the life of me, I can't figure out why I can not access the 129 satellite. I have a clear line of sight in the sky, but noting, not ever a low signal....

·
Legend
155 Posts
Mraroid,

The modulator is set up to output what you are watching to channel 60 on the RF to a second TV. If you don't have anything connected to the RF out coax, no worries. It isn't causing any problems.

As to the 129 satellite, disconnect the coax from the 622 and run a check switch so that all the switches are removed from the setup. Then take a coax from the Dish 500 and connect it directly to input 1 on your 622 (use a barrel connector or wall plate to join the coax runs) and run a check switch. Then you should be able to aim the single LNB to 129. Looking from behind, 129 is a little to the right of your dish 1000's aim. Its elevation is roughly the same, a bit higher I believe, but very close. Skew should be set to 0 (or 90) with no twist of the arm. Once you have peaked the signal for 129, disconnect the feed, connec the 6' jumper coax from the dish 500 LNB to the input on the DPP-Twin (on the 110 side, but should be marked input), then the coax on the output side to your 622 with a seperator. Run a check switch again and all should be working. Your signal for 129 will be around 75-80 on the higher signal TPs.

Where are you in the pac northwest? A dish 500 may still result in occasional loss of signal on Rave, monsters and filmf. About 2 minutes every hour as the satellite wobbles its way around its geosynchronous orbit.

Miner

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Miner & Cokeswigga....

Very good ideas gentleman! The rain is coming down with drops the size of canned hams this morning. But with your ideas, I am rejuvenated and will be back on the roof when the sun comes up this morning.

I will report back what I have found. Thanks so much; great testing ideas!!

mraroid

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
Some in the Pacific NW are using an even larger separate dish for 129. With what you have, you could put the DPP Twin on the Dish 500 for 110/119, then put the DP Dual in the center position of the Dish 1000 for 129.

·
Legend
167 Posts
BobaBird said:
Some in the Pacific NW are using an even larger separate dish for 129. With what you have, you could put the DPP Twin on the Dish 500 for 110/119, then put the DP Dual in the center position of the Dish 1000 for 129.
This is almost exactly what I did! (except I am using a quad instead of a twin DPP)

I did however just buy a 30" dish, which I should be receiving this week.

I will post my findings when I install the new dish

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Miner said:
Mraroid,

As to the 129 satellite, disconnect the coax from the 622 and run a check switch so that all the switches are removed from the setup. Then take a coax from the Dish 500 and connect it directly to input 1 on your 622 (use a barrel connector or wall plate to join the coax runs) and run a check switch. Then you should be able to aim the single LNB to 129. Looking from behind, 129 is a little to the right of your dish 1000's aim. Its elevation is roughly the same, a bit higher I believe, but very close. Skew should be set to 0 (or 90) with no twist of the arm. Once you have peaked the signal for 129, disconnect the feed, connec the 6' jumper coax from the dish 500 LNB to the input on the DPP-Twin (on the 110 side, but should be marked input), then the coax on the output side to your 622 with a seperator. Run a check switch again and all should be working. Your signal for 129 will be around 75-80 on the higher signal TPs.
Miner
Miner.....

Your directions were spot on. I *finally* found that elusive 129 bird. But in the middle of my testing, everything went open. After many trips to the roof, my buddy started playing with the connector (that I pressed on) that was on the end of the RG6 that came into the 622. When he did that, the signal returned :blush: Red face here. My buddy pressed another connector on the end of my RG6 and we were back in business.

My numbers depend on the monsoon that is now upon me. I was getting up to the high 80s with 119 & 110. But my 129 was around 70 to maybe 75 at best. I can drop 10 to 15 points when the wave of water sweeps from the sky carring tree branches, birds, small children and the occasional volkswagen. But now that it is all working, I will trun on service tomorrow and deal with getting higher points in my setup in the spring. Most likely, I will move to a 24" dish for the 129 LNBF.

Thanks Miner and others for the great help. I could not have fixed this on my own.

I hope I can repay the favors here on this forum.

mraroid

·
2 Posts
mraroid, I am having a similar problem to what you did. Unfortunately I have not figured out the "ah ha" yet. I am going to take another shot at finding 129 signal on my 2nd dish500 with dishpro single LNB tomorrow. Could you do me a favor and tell my what your details say from your check switch?

I am concerned that something may be wrong with some of my equipment, considering mine is shows two red highlighted warnings for input 1 and 2: T[0] Invalid DishPro Switch detected, Code 15,A2. For port3 it says: External LNB: DP-Single Good connection, no signal.
Port 1 and 2 are working/displaying fine for 110 and 119.

Thanks for your help.

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HDTVNut said:
mraroid, I am having a similar problem to what you did. Unfortunately I have not figured out the "ah ha" yet. I am going to take another shot at finding 129 signal on my 2nd dish500 with dishpro single LNB tomorrow. Could you do me a favor and tell my what your details say from your check switch?

I am concerned that something may be wrong with some of my equipment, considering mine is shows two red highlighted warnings for input 1 and 2: T[0] Invalid DishPro Switch detected, Code 15,A2. For port3 it says: External LNB: DP-Single Good connection, no signal.
Port 1 and 2 are working/displaying fine for 110 and 119.

Thanks for your help.
This is what I recommend HDTVNut......

I am assuming that you are running a D1000 with the 119 & the 110 LNBFs, and the 500 with the 129 LNBF. And you have a short bit of RG6 running from your 129 LNBF on the 500, to the right most port in the 110 LNBF. Then you have one drop of RG6 running from the left most port of the 119 LNBF to your 622. Yes? From what Check Switch is saying now, I believe you have good continuity between your 622 & the LNBFs. And I suspect that the 129 LNBF is good.

Disconnect the separator from port 1 & port 2 on the back of your 622. Now you have nothing connected from your receiver to your dish. Run Check Switch. This will clean out/flush the memory and make a blank slate. After you have done this, then reconnect your separator and drop to the dishes. Run check switch again.

Now, you should come up with at least two Green areas (in place of the red) in check switch for the 119 & 110 satellites. I am assuming here that you have already lined up your D1000 to the 119 satellite.

If the above is true, now you can start trying to find the 129 bird. Start with your 500 dish pointed *just slightly* to the right of where your D1000 is pointed. Now move the 500 ever so slowly to the right. For me, the book said I would find the 129 bird at 37.2 elevation. I found it up slightly at around 39 degrees. But do a very slow sweep to the right of your D1000 before you give up and move the elevation of your 500 up 1.5 degrees.

I believe my biggest mistake was not moving my 500 slow enough to lock on to the 129 bird.

It is easer to talk to you voice than do this via email. We could swap phone numbers and I can tell you what worked for me. Send me PM if you want to do that.

mraroid

·
2 Posts
Got everything working. Thanks for the help. It just took connecting the 2nd dish directly to the 622, peaking it to 129 and unhooking everything and running a switch check to clear out all swith settings. Then when I connected the 2nd dish through the DPP/Dish500 everything worked fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.