DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Godfather
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some mention of this in the installation thread, but nothing further, and can't seem to find details, so: It appears to be a 16-port version of the normal 8-port one, I believe it's this one:
http://www.zcwc.com/products/multi_switch/wb_616.htm

Is D* including this one in an HR20 install if you already have a number of DVRs maxing out your current MS? (I have 2 HR10s and 3 R15s, some of the R15s only with one input right now.) Or will they make you use a WB68 cascaded to your old 5x8 since all you need is two more MPEG4 ports for the HR20?

I'd like to minimize the wiring mess in back of the HT and have more ports for the other DVRs, but obviously the WB68 will make the HR20 work.

·
AllStar
92 Posts
leesweet said:
I saw some mention of this in the installation thread, but nothing further, and can't seem to find details, so: It appears to be a 16-port version of the normal 8-port one, I believe it's this one:
http://www.zcwc.com/products/multi_switch/wb_616.htm

Is D* including this one in an HR20 install if you already have a number of DVRs maxing out your current MS? (I have 2 HR10s and 3 R15s, some of the R15s only with one input right now.) Or will they make you use a WB68 cascaded to your old 5x8 since all you need is two more MPEG4 ports for the HR20?

I'd like to minimize the wiring mess in back of the HT and have more ports for the other DVRs, but obviously the WB68 will make the HR20 work.
Good luck getting this one. Premier Communications (the installer for DTV in my area) doesn't support this.

It took about 10 calls to DTV to get them to let me buy it and reimburse me.

~Bill

·
Godfather
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I found it at SolidSignal for $239 vs the WB68 at $79. Sounds a lot better, especially being powered. Since I do have that many DVRs, perhaps I can talk them into it. I doubt anyone at D* knows MS's can be cascaded. :)

Anyone else have comments on getting installed with a buncha DVRs? Earl? I know you have a bunch, but you probably DIY'd it. :)

·
AllStar
53 Posts
Hmmm. I wonder what DTV is going to send out to my house. I'm moving in to a new house and they're installing everything: 5LNB Dish and 5 DVR's. How else would they install 5 DVR's if they didn't use this?

Thanks

Josh

·
Godfather
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sun? Yeah, I saw that on Discovery HD... :D :D And, for many, it's not that many TVs, but ability to record that many shows or simultaneous channels or perhaps separate containers of shows (for different people in the household). (If you were seriously asking...)

But, on topic, looking at the earlier point, that's a good question. If you had 'enough' MPEG4 DVRs to *require* more than 8 MPEG4 ports, I wonder what they would do? Cascade two 8s? Or use the 16 port model?

I'll probably take the free (I hope) 8 port model, and cascade 4 of its ports to the 5X8 I have now to feed the HR10s/R15s.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Right now, they would Cascade or use the splitter technique.

Early next year, they will have the FTM option.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I thought you could not cascade WB68s?

Or do you mean they would cascade them, even though it might not work properly?

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
The main problem with cascading WB68's is that they are non-powered and when cascaded, you typically don't get enough power through two layers of multiswitch to the dish.

It is also possible to parallel two WB68's using dual power passing splitters, and that may work better than cascading them.

Carl

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Directv installed 2 - WB68's 6x8 multi-switches (cascading) since they don.'t carry 6x16 multiswitches. I now have 12 available ports (using 10). Working fine for me........

·
Legend
118 Posts
I just had my 5lnb installed and had the 4 from dish to wb68 then 4 of those going to a powered 4x8 and I am missing some transponders on the 110/119. Can I not mix the 2 types? do I need to buy another 6x8 ?

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
You will have all signals available on the 4 open ports on the WB68. You will only have 101, 110 and 119 (but NOT 99 and 103) available on the outputs of your powered 4x8. So feed your H20 and/or HR20 units from the WB68 and all of your non MPEG4 equipment from the powered 4x8.

Carl

·
Legend
118 Posts
well the 8 cables that come from the 4x8 switch is missing transponders from the 119 and transponder 12 from the 110 so I would imagine that a 4x8 can not be attached to a wb6x8 and have it work 100%

·
DBSTalk Club Member
155 Posts

·
Godfather
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Right now, they would Cascade or use the splitter technique.

Early next year, they will have the FTM option.
Earl, thanks for the info. I'll take one free MS now and talk about expansion to over 12 ports later... :D

I assume comments above about dead xponders from a cascaded 'old' MS are just dead xponders and not bad because of the M4 MS? I know many are dead because they are spots and others that aren't seen by various locations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.