DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Godfather
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some mention of this in the installation thread, but nothing further, and can't seem to find details, so: It appears to be a 16-port version of the normal 8-port one, I believe it's this one:
http://www.zcwc.com/products/multi_switch/wb_616.htm

Is D* including this one in an HR20 install if you already have a number of DVRs maxing out your current MS? (I have 2 HR10s and 3 R15s, some of the R15s only with one input right now.) Or will they make you use a WB68 cascaded to your old 5x8 since all you need is two more MPEG4 ports for the HR20?

I'd like to minimize the wiring mess in back of the HT and have more ports for the other DVRs, but obviously the WB68 will make the HR20 work.

·
Godfather
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I found it at SolidSignal for $239 vs the WB68 at $79. Sounds a lot better, especially being powered. Since I do have that many DVRs, perhaps I can talk them into it. I doubt anyone at D* knows MS's can be cascaded. :)

Anyone else have comments on getting installed with a buncha DVRs? Earl? I know you have a bunch, but you probably DIY'd it. :)

·
Godfather
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sun? Yeah, I saw that on Discovery HD... :D :D And, for many, it's not that many TVs, but ability to record that many shows or simultaneous channels or perhaps separate containers of shows (for different people in the household). (If you were seriously asking...)

But, on topic, looking at the earlier point, that's a good question. If you had 'enough' MPEG4 DVRs to *require* more than 8 MPEG4 ports, I wonder what they would do? Cascade two 8s? Or use the 16 port model?

I'll probably take the free (I hope) 8 port model, and cascade 4 of its ports to the 5X8 I have now to feed the HR10s/R15s.

·
Godfather
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Right now, they would Cascade or use the splitter technique.

Early next year, they will have the FTM option.
Earl, thanks for the info. I'll take one free MS now and talk about expansion to over 12 ports later... :D

I assume comments above about dead xponders from a cascaded 'old' MS are just dead xponders and not bad because of the M4 MS? I know many are dead because they are spots and others that aren't seen by various locations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.