DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current SD setup is on a pole. Something I hadn't really considered to be a problem was using the same pole with a slimline dish. Looks like the pole is a very heavy 2.25" OD pole - and I mean heavy. This sucker is built like a tank. Years ago when D* installers put the SD dish up they added some kind of adapter that fits over the 2.25" pole like a glove - but I've yet to see anything that will step-down that lousy 1/4" for a 2" mount.

I suspect the new mounts won't expand out enough for that additional 1/4", will they?

So - Is there such an adapter...or does anyone have any ideas? I'd hate to have to reengineer this pole in addition to everything else I'm doing.

thanks!

· Cool Member
26 Posts
aeroair said:
My current SD setup is on a pole. Something I hadn't really considered to be a problem was using the same pole with a slimline dish. Looks like the pole is a very heavy 2.25" OD pole - and I mean heavy. This sucker is built like a tank. Years ago when D* installers put the SD dish up they added some kind of adapter that fits over the 2.25" pole like a glove - but I've yet to see anything that will step-down that lousy 1/4" for a 2" mount.

I suspect the new mounts won't expand out enough for that additional 1/4", will they?

So - Is there such an adapter...or does anyone have any ideas? I'd hate to have to reengineer this pole in addition to everything else I'm doing.

thanks!
Perhaps you have already considered this, but what is the inside diameter of the pole?

If it is 2" or slightly less, you could possibly make an adapter that slides inside the existing pole, and bolt it through so it doesn't rotate or otherwise move.

· Registered
8,671 Posts
veryoldschool said:
"The simplest" thing to do would be to go to a muffler shop and have them make up a piece of 2" OD with a slip fit for 2 1/4".
Can't expand more than 3" from the end..
Best bet would be pick up a couple 2 1/4 exhaust clamps.. drill the slimline base to match the flat part of the clamp.. then put the "U" part around the pole, put the flat part on next, then the slimline base, finally put the nuts on and tighten it all up.. this will give you a very solid attachment..

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
houskamp said:
Can't expand more than 3" from the end..
Best bet would be pick up a couple 2 1/4 exhaust clamps.. drill the slimline base to match the flat part of the clamp.. then put the "U" part around the pole, put the flat part on next, then the slimline base, finally put the nuts on and tighten it all up.. this will give you a very solid attachment..
I don't see the the 3" limit would be that bad, since the overall length of this adapter wouldn't need to me more than 6-7".
Your 2 1/4 clamps: Are these to mount the complete slimline mount? I have done this and it worked well, until I needed to move my dish and used 10' of 2" tubing [without the slimline mast].

· Registered
8,671 Posts
veryoldschool said:
I don't see the the 3" limit would be that bad, since the overall length of this adapter wouldn't need to me more than 6-7".
Your 2 1/4 clamps: Are these to mount the complete slimline mount? I have done this and it worked well, until I needed to move my dish and used 10' of 2" tubing [without the slimline mast].
correct.. to mount the stock base..

· Godfather
452 Posts
aeroair said:

thanks!
I use those old iron poles all the time. All you do is put the regular 2" pole down IN the old pole, then run about 6-8 long self tapping screws into it, problem solved.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the hints! The 2"OD inside the old pipe probably is going to do the trick. I haven't checked it yet, but I have a good idea the existing pipe is a 2"ID. That should work out fine.

Thanks again!

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
aeroair said:
Thanks for the hints! The 2"OD inside the old pipe probably is going to do the trick. I haven't checked it yet, but I have a good idea the existing pipe is a 2"ID. That should work out fine.

Thanks again!
The Slimline base accepts 2" OD pipe, with VERY little adjustment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.