DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
AllStar
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, up north install with lots of trees, cant get 101& 119 for locals in 1 spot. using my 18x20 dish I have 101/110 signal in with coax going into wb68 on tone side with signal at 74%. I have a 18" dish for my 119 locals in a different location with coax going into wb68 no tone side with 94% signal. thought I was all good, then reset the box and says receiving satellite signal but still at 0% after an hour. not sure if I did the setting right in the menu, here is what I have...non-hd dvr,1-3lnb 18x20 dish, 1-18" dish

18" dish dual lnb-1 coax hooked up to lnb going to wb68 tone side
18x20 dish 3lnb- 101 coax going to wb68 no tone & 110 coax going to wb68no tone.
as stated above I check signals and getting good percentage just not getting no picture on tv due to not receiving satellite signal, any ideas? thanks!

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
you need to connect the 18x20 with two jumpers to the 6x8 13 and 18 WITH 22k tone. connect the 18 round to the 13 and 18 with NO tone with two jumpers. your post is self contradictory as you have one set up on the top paragraph and another set up on the bottom paragraph.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
peds48 said:
you need to connect the 18x20 with two jumpers to the 6x8 13 and 18 WITH 22k tone. connect the 18 round to the 13 and 18 with NO tone with two jumpers. your post is self contradictory as you have one set up on the top paragraph and another set up on the bottom paragraph.
Maybe to help be clearer:
the 18" round should be pointed to the 101 and use the 13 & 18 volt no tone, and the other dish for the 110 & 119, since these are the 13 & 18 volt tone SATs

·
AllStar
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I will just have to swap to 2 dishes then. So the 18" dish will be for the 119 sat I need to run BOTH coax to multiswitch? And on the 18x20 dish I know I only really need the 101 sat. But not sure if it matters which of the 4 connections to run the 2 coax from? Does it matter? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
trent741 said:
Ok, I will just have to swap to 2 dishes then. So the 18" dish will be for the 119 sat I need to run BOTH coax to multiswitch? And on the 18x20 dish I know I only really need the 101 sat. But not sure if it matters which of the 4 connections to run the 2 coax from? Does it matter? Thanks!
While I could get either combination to work, I'd be using the 18" for 101 and the other for 119.

Why I'd do this is the 13 & 18 volt [no tone] powers/selects the 101 SAT, while the 13/18volt "Tone" selects both the 119 & 110. Since there is nothing on 110 these days, the two dishes can be interchanged.
The 18" dish needs to point to the 101 SAT, but the 18x20 needs to be centered on the 110, for the 119 LNB to be aligned.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,422 Posts
Since there is nothing on 110 these days
but the 18x20 needs to be centered on the 110, for the 119 LNB to be aligned.
Since there is nothing on 110W, I would drop the LNB-C totally and would center 119W.

Looks like 110W will be dedicated to PR.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,071 Posts
P Smith said:
Since there is nothing on 110W, I would drop the LNB-C totally and would center 119W.

Looks like 110W will be dedicated to PR.
I didn't think you could do that with a Phase III triple sat. dish P. Smith. The geometry of oval dish and triple LNB head is designed to receive only 110 straight away, with 101 and 119 at an off-axis angle from the dish face.

Therefore you can't point the P. III dish squarely at 119, but needs to be centered on the 110 position in order to be centered on 119 as well.

Now with two Phase I round dishes while eschewing 110, those would then need to be pointed squarely at 101 and 119 respectively of course.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,071 Posts
veryoldschool said:
But what you've forgotten is the LO offset of the 110 LNB, making it useless for 119.
Unless P. Smith means to remove the triple LNB and its adapter and install a standard single LNB like on a Phase I round.

Question is, will a single LNB actually fit on the end of the feed arm of a Phase III dish?

·
MANC
1,510 Posts
Its just a reflector. Remove the tilt and reflect away. Takes a little skill or patience since the elevation is off.

The triple lnb will work just fine.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,422 Posts
veryoldschool said:
No I didn't, but the 110 LNB output gets combined with the 119 LNB output, so the 110 needed to have a different LO to the two outputs to not interfere, since the actual TP frequencies are too similar.
Are we can't get it done ?

I did propose to drop 110W LNB as a source of any signal (actually it has no useful signal); do install one legacy LNBF instead of triple P-III block.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
P Smith said:
Are we can't get it done ?

I did propose to drop 110W LNB as a source of any signal (actually it has no useful signal); do install one legacy LNBF instead of triple P-III block.
Think some may be getting lost in translation here, as "I know you know".

The bottom line to this is:
the Phase III needs to be centered/pointed at the 110 slot, where it will then pick up signals off of 101 and/or 119.
the 18' round dish can be pointed at either 101 or 119 and pick up the signals.

The dish being used for 101 needs two coax going to the "non tone" inputs, and the 119 dish goes to the 2 tone inputs.

"Done"

·
Hall Of Fame
8,071 Posts
veryoldschool said:
No, since the single LNB only has 2 outputs, and the Phase III had the built in switch and four outputs.
But what I think P. Smith is saying is to remove the triple sat. LNB on the Phase III and replace it with a standard dual output LNB used on a Phase I round.

Then run to two lines from that LNB to the tone and voltage side (Sat B&C) of the multi-switch and point the dish directly at 119.

That being said after just returning from walking the dog and observing a number of Phase III dishes. I notice that the LNB end of the feed arm is mechanically flared out to fit the wider triple sat LNB.

I thought it was a removable adapter, but its not. the arm is physically manufactured that way on the LNB end. So I don't thinK a single LNB would even fit into that flared end.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.