Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Godfather
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know the answer to this question but figured I would ask:

Is it possible to receive 2 local markets via the satellite? Our local cable carrier has Atlanta and Chattanooga stations carried but didn't know how it worked with satellite--since Dish and FCC are 'best friends'.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Godfather
316 Posts
tedb3rd said:

Is it possible to receive 2 local markets via the satellite? Our local cable carrier has Atlanta and Chattanooga stations carried but didn't know how it worked with satellite--since Dish and FCC are 'best friends'.

Thanks for any feedback.
No, E* goes by the nielson DMA (Designated Market Area) listings. To my knowledge if your DMA is offered at all that's all your gonna get. And it may not be HD. Punch in your ZIP code on the E* web site to see if your DMA is carried. Cable probably gets away with it because you may live in a SHORT market where your DMA is not covered by all major networks. Cable probably signed some carriage agreement with a neighboring DMA to pick up any lacking channel. Like where I live I have no CBS channel so I had to put up a large OTA antenna to get CBS from another market.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,057 Posts
EXTACAMO said:
No, E* goes by the nielson DMA (Designated Market Area) listings. To my knowledge if your DMA is offered at all that's all your gonna get. And it may not be HD. Punch in your ZIP code on the E* web site to see if your DMA is carried. Cable probably gets away with it because you may live in a SHORT market where your DMA is not covered by all major networks. Cable probably signed some carriage agreement with a neighboring DMA to pick up any lacking channel. Like where I live I have no CBS channel so I had to put up a large OTA antenna to get CBS from another market.
The real issue is that dish is no longer able to carry distant networks. Where you are located, Atlanta could have been your local at Chattanooga was a distant, but Dish can no longer offer such a service and they are therefore stuck just giving you your local station as-is.

Going the ATSC route may be a good solution to your problem.

·
Godfather
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback--I figured the answer was no. We are eligible and receive the ATL HD locals off the 129 satellite. Although we are within the Nielson DMA for Atlanta, we can't get any stations OTA due to our distance and even more so the terrain (mountains) and I imagine it's the same issues for us to get Chattanooga OTA. I've seen some older houses around here that have OTA antennas aimed at Atlanta and others towards Chattanooga but, if they were on posts any higher, you could call them cell towers and FAA would make you put lights on them!

If it were possible, I would have gotten Chattanooga locals also for the news. That way we could get some 'local' news from some other location besides Atlanta. Chattanooga's weather is more consistent with ours here compared to Atlanta. Plus, I saw the Chattanooga stations and they had more news than just who got shot/murdered (like Atlanta stations).

I guess this is just an example of how FCC regulates to best interest of consumer as opposed to businesses' "right" to make you watch their commercials.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,192 Posts
Go to the FCC website and search by the call letters of the Chattanooga stations you'd like to receive. Find the "-DT" listing (i.e. WXXX-DT) and look for the link to the coverage map. If you are located within the coverage area, it's worth it to put up an antenna.
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

FYI: I get one out-of-market CBS station from 57 miles away - they have an extremely large coverage area for a small market station and a FOX LPTV station on a sub channel to boot! It's like a "poor-man's NFL ST" whenever that station carries different games than the local stations.

·
Super Moderator
53,883 Posts
alebowgm said:
The real issue is that dish is no longer able to carry distant networks. Where you are located, Atlanta could have been your local at Chattanooga was a distant, but Dish can no longer offer such a service and they are therefore stuck just giving you your local station as-is.
In a nut shell ... yes and no. Those "close distants" are called significantly viewed stations. Unfortunately when congress wrote the law allowing significantly viewed out of market stations to be carried they added it to the law that allows distants instead of the law that allows local stations to be carried ... so when DISH lost their permission to carry distants they also lost their permission to carry significantly viewed stations.

We should also note that DISH actually carried significantly viewed stations. DirecTV passed. So all that work to get a SV law has gone to waste. :(

The real issue comparing cable with satellite is how stations and carriers "earn" their right to have the channels carried. It is an unequal system. The only equal part is that stations can choose to hold their signals for ransom, forcing carriers to pay for carriage, or choose must carry - giving up any chance for money just to reach the viewers. Beyond that, the scale is tipped in cable's favor.

Cable has to set aside a percentage of channels for OTA TV stations and meet this quota. Smaller systems don't have to carry every channel, they only have to carry enough channels to meet the quota. Satellite MUST offer carriage to ALL stations eligible in any market they carry locals, and must carry (with few exceptions) every channel that chooses the "must carry" option.

Cable carriage is based on the community. If a signal reaches a community it does not matter what market the station is in ... that signal is considered a local station and can even force carriage on systems outside their DMA. Satellite carriage is based on DMA and stations cannot be carried outside of their DMA (unless they meet the narrow rules for SV).

Every once in a while Congress talks about equalizing the playing field between cable and satellite ... generally they fail. If they really wanted an equal playing field the first thing that would change is losing the DMAs and coming up with a cable like system where the closest channel of a network and any channel that reaches a community CAN be carried via a satellite carrier.

Yes, DISH messing up with distants means they can't offer close out of market channels ... I'm still not sure why DirecTV never bothered introducing SVs. But it isn't the core of the problem ... the core of the problem is that cable can where satellite (even DirecTV) is forbidden. That's not fair.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
tedb3rd said:

Thanks for any feedback.
Via satellite? No. But I have two sets of local channels but it is due to what is considered you dma. I live in the New York dma even though it takes me almost 2 hours to get there while I also have Scranton's locals via OTA which is just over 20 miles.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,192 Posts
Cable carriage is based on the community. If a signal reaches a community it does not matter what market the station is in ... that signal is considered a local station and can even force carriage on systems outside their DMA.
I receive the ATSC signal for a CBS affiliate from Youngstown, OH. You mean to say that this station can go to the local cable system and demand must carry, even with a closer in-market CBS station (that station's tower is literally just a few blocks from my back yard). I'd like to see that happen, the local CBS is owned by cheapskates who did not have DD 5.1 until the Super Bowl than lost it right after the game. I guess they borrowed the equipment for the game.

The Youngstown CBS has a coverage area that goes from Cleveland to Pittsburgh! If only all the ATSC signals were as strong. In contrast the Cleveland CBS barely gets out of the antenna farm because they insisted on a high band VHF channel that has a Canadian analog they have to protect on the same channel. Canada is not dropping analog anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
53,883 Posts
The forced carriage isn't just "reception in the community" (although lack of quality reception ... the inability for a station to deliver a good signal to the head end ... can keep a station off of a system). It has to do with whether the community commonly views that station. It is also currently based on NTSC reception.

If Youngstown can prove enough viewership in Cleveland they could get added. It would be unlikely since people are getting the same content from a local station (including cable/satellite HD).

·
Hall Of Fame
3,192 Posts
James Long said:
The forced carriage isn't just "reception in the community" (although lack of quality reception ... the inability for a station to deliver a good signal to the head end ... can keep a station off of a system). It has to do with whether the community commonly views that station. It is also currently based on NTSC reception.

If Youngstown can prove enough viewership in Cleveland they could get added. It would be unlikely since people are getting the same content from a local station (including cable/satellite HD).
The Youngstown DMA lost one county in PA to Pittsburgh a few years ago and is in danger of losing a county in OH to Cleveland. The Youngstown CBS affiliate, WKBN, has the best ATSC signal coverage area of any station in either DMA and the Cleveland CBS has the worst ATSC signal. The content is not 100% the same during football season and the Youngstown station has DD 5.1 while the Cleveland station does not. Is this enough to get more Cleveland DMA viewers eyeballs? Probably not, however WKBN should go after near-by counties in the Cleveland DMA that are actually closer to Youngstown than Cleveland. Once the analog shut-off happens these areas are going to have a hard time getting the Cleveland CBS (due to the Canadian protection I posted earlier in this thread). These counties will be in a strange situation, getting most of their TV from Cleveland with the exception of CBS. Of course those with satellite will have no problems, only the cable head-ends in these outlying areas will have issues after 2/17/09.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.